Seasoned LanParty board died....

Hi All,

My rig has been running fine up until yesterday, when I tried to start it up. I pressed the power button, fans came on, but no post or vid. I popped case and looked inside, and all four LEDs are on. I live in the backwoods and the local tech could only verify that the power supply is good, but couldn't tell me if the board or the CPU has blown up.

One weird thing that started last week, I got a windows pop up that said my vid card was not getting enough power (but nothing happened). At that point I brought MBM up and all voltages/temps looked fine.

Around the same time within a few days, my USB devices started disappearing and reappearing.

Things I've tried, Removed and reseated RAM, power conectors on board, cleared CMOS.

The only thing that happens when powered up, fans turn, get the yellow light on board, and 4 hellish RED leds.

What's your take on this, the M/B or the CPU? and your logic for your decision, thanks.

The only time I have ever recieved a warning that my video card was under powered, was when I was using cheap PSU. I know the Enermax is not a cheap PSU, but maybe something has failed. Most of the issues I have had with my Ultra-D were solved by using a good PSU. Can you borrow a friends, or unplug unnecessary peripherals?

The only time I have ever recieved a warning that my video card was under powered, was when I was using cheap PSU. I know the Enermax is not a cheap PSU, but maybe something has failed. Most of the issues I have had with my Ultra-D were solved by using a good PSU. Can you borrow a friends, or unplug unnecessary peripherals?

Thanks for the try, but please read my post again, I had a tech confirm the P/S is good. He doesn't have a system to swap the X2 into, to narrow down whether it's the CPU or the DFI LanParty motherboard.

Does anyone else have some input before I start RMA'ing whatever I can?

if I were you, I'd still swap out another psu, even if that means running to a fry's (let you return anything hehe, and they have them in CA) and just popping a new one in there to see what happens--I wouldnt trust a 'backwoods' computer tech, as you put it lol.

if I were you, I'd still swap out another psu, even if that means running to a fry's (let you return anything hehe, and they have them in CA) and just popping a new one in there to see what happens--I wouldnt trust a 'backwoods' computer tech, as you put it lol.

He did swap in another P/S and no go, just the 4 LEDs again.

I'm going to try the approved clearing of the CMOS when I get the computer back and see what happens.

Disconnect power supply.

Remove m/b from case and lay on anti-static surface.

Remove all hardware except for cpu, 1 stick of ram in top most orange RAM slot, and video card.

Perform long and proper CMOS clear as explained by Ex_Roadie.

Reconnect power supply.

Power back up and report diagnostic LED progress (or lack of).

If boot sequence fails, change out memory sticks and try the other.

If boot sequence fails, it looks like it's time to start RMA'ing parts and pieces until you find the culprit.

It's definately the psu. I've had similar problems with my old computer ([email protected]). The NV driver said missing auxiliary power supply, the usb's were going crazy. I bought a FSP Bluestorm 400W and - voila - I HAVE auxiliary power supply. But in your case maybe the failing enermax took the board with itself to the endless silicon fields...

Disconnect power supply.

Remove m/b from case and lay on anti-static surface.

Remove all hardware except for cpu, 1 stick of ram in top most orange RAM slot, and video card.

Perform long and proper CMOS clear as explained by Ex_Roadie.

Reconnect power supply.

Power back up and report diagnostic LED progress (or lack of).

If boot sequence fails, change out memory sticks and try the other.

If boot sequence fails, it looks like it's time to start RMA'ing parts and pieces until you find the culprit.

I tried the 30 second clear as per http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24 , still 4 red LEDs, and will now try the overnight clear. I will pull the motherboard tomorrow and do what you suggested in conjunction with the clear cmos stuff, will post my results around 3pm PST. Thanks for the help.

I've wondered if some of our boards have some iffy voltage regulators and thus the weird error message. I had the same message but it never showed again after using the Enermax PSU.

Disconnect the power cord. With the cord disconnected, reset your PSU voltage selecter on the back if you have one, then hit the power button on the pc to empty the power in the caps, then do a 5 minute CMOS clear. (Heck, I put the jumper back for about 5 seconds, then back to reset for at least 1 minute just to be sure).

Reconnect power and try powering up.

did you check out the link i posted about a similar situation of someone getting that popup about power in windows?

Was not applicable, it's not a driver issue, it's a hardware problem. Thanks anyways.