Sign in to follow this  
faheyd

Seasoned LanParty board died....

I tried the 30 second clear as per http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24 , still 4 red LEDs, and will now try the overnight clear. I will pull the motherboard tomorrow and do what you suggested in conjunction with the clear cmos stuff, will post my results around 3pm PST. Thanks for the help.

:( , did the overnight clear cmos per ex_rodie instructions, along with wevsspot, removed M/B, reseated vid card, no go. Tried also the P/S 220/120 clear, and no go.

Still have the same 4 LEDs, no change. The cpu does not get warm at all.

Take a guess for me, is it the retail CPU or the M/B? Which should I RMA first?

Thanks,

Dylan

For shiz and giggles, double check one last thing: your video card seating. It sounds petty, but I've seen a few systems act up with video cards not completely seated even though they attach to the case as required.

It may look seated, and may feel seated, but I had to physically stick my head in to see. If you've tried taking the entire system out of the case and tried booting that way, then my idea won't matter. Otherwise, its possible that any extra peripherals aren't completely seating.

It would be worth you taking your cpu down to any store you can, and testing it. That would at least be easier than testing the motherboard.

its either the drivers like I suggested or the powersupply, most likely the psu

We've swapped another P/S at the shop on Tuesday, no change, 4 LEDs. Also, pulled all HDs off, reseated Vid card, no change.

We've swapped another P/S at the shop on Tuesday, no change, 4 LEDs. Also, pulled all HDs off, reseated Vid card, no change.

I'm leaning towards the CPU, as it had some weak banks to begin with. So, since I've not gotten any replies that go either way to the M/B or the CPU, I'm going to try and get a RMA from AMD on the retail CPU. Sometimes I just have to believe the 4 LEDs, that the CPU is toast. That's what the LEDs are for, to tell you where the error is. I have faith that it's not the P/S, and the motherboard probably would just die, if it was the M/B, and not give me the 4 LEDs.

The root cause sounds similar to the wall voltage dipping/spiking out of normal ranges. This condition could cause low power conditions within some components which would not indicate a bad power supply. If this did happen the CPU I think would be most susceptibleto damage. Ram next, video card, motherboard, and finally power supply.

I would think the power supply has active circuits to protect from under/over conditions and maybe these circuits could contribute to blown components which would change my order of replacing parts. For example, if the AC voltage goes low the active circuits would change resistances to increase the DC output. If when the AC voltage returns to normal the time for the DC output to compensate again by lowering the voltage could be long enough to have a to high of voltage condition at sensitive components. In this case the PSU could contribute to future failure with less then nominal wall voltages.

Did I bring us full circle as to what to do next? heh.

DUDE, get over the fact that you've already used a different PSU.

Buy a better one and see if it works, if it doesn't return it. Simple as that. One less thing to troubleshoot.

P.S. what PSU did you try it with?

For shiz and giggles, double check one last thing: your video card seating. It sounds petty, but I've seen a few systems act up with video cards not completely seated even though they attach to the case as required.

It may look seated, and may feel seated, but I had to physically stick my head in to see. If you've tried taking the entire system out of the case and tried booting that way, then my idea won't matter. Otherwise, its possible that any extra peripherals aren't completely seating.

It would be worth you taking your cpu down to any store you can, and testing it. That would at least be easier than testing the motherboard.

OK, a few weeks ago, I did one more thing suggested by RGone.

Set buzzer/speaker on, remove all memory, and power up. No beeps, 4 LEDs. In this case, no beeps mean a dead motherboard. I got an RMA from DFI and just got it back a week ago (I was out down SoCal). Put the board back in, and viola, boots up and works fine. All is set to stock right now, I'll have to O/C later. Right now, 2200Mhz/1.26vcore, and I get 34C with fan running 916rpms.

I'll mess with it later.

I want to say thanks for all the help. It was a real toss up as to whether it was a CPU or M/B, but with RGone's final clue, I was able to narrow it down to the M/B.

BTW, don't ever ask for help on AMD's forums, they are a bunch of amd robots and have no idea of how to troubleshoot. Also, don't try and do an online RMA with AMD without having Internet Explorer, their RMA site doesn't work with any linux browsers, and all that I had at my house was my linux server. AMD is worthless trying to get a real person on the phone. It was real frustrating trying to get any help from that side of the house. It was a real shame, as I expected only the best from them (AMD), instead I got the worst support I've ever seen since, well since EVER.

Thank you DFI, DFI-Street, and members for coming through.

RGone is an absolutely fabulous resource and really smart when it comes to all things DFI.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to pinpoint your problem and that you were able to get the board RMA'd. And I'm sure it feels great to have your rig up and running again.

Congratulations and Cheers.