OCZ 4000VX on NF2 Lan Party B

Guest Darien_merged

Thanks for the images.

Have you tried Sync Mode Memory Bypass set to Enabled?

Looks like you've got the mosfets for the CPU and DIMM sinked, nice.

There's a small chip directly underneath where the Video Card overhangs,

and about an inch away from the AGP latch, it's about 5mm and square in

shape. That chip gets hotter than the RAM and CPU mosfets.

Have you sinked it?

no and no...

i've been trying all kinds of stuff... nothing has worked... but I did think of something... maybe it's just Dual Channel that won't work...

so I'm priming 2x512 Single Channel right now at 250 x 8 = 2000 just to rule out Mhz and go easy on my chip... but this should still stress out the RAM.... and it's only run for about 5-10 minutes or so... but that's about 5-10 times longer than it has been... i'll keep you guys updated....

but lets say that's the issue and the RAM is up to spec... but just can't do dual channel.... that's more of a memory controller / mobo issue right... is there any settings that could make it better in Dual Channel?

EDIT: $hit SC errored at 15 minutes a lot better than DC though usually under 1 minute DC... btw its always a rounding error.. that mean anything?

EDIT 2: I'm not totally convinced but I think I've made some good progress... I messed the the drive strength and slew rates with no success, just knew that higher DS is more stable... but then I saw a post where NeoArthur said 15-15 9-15 15-15 was good and stable, so I tried that and with

15-15 9-15 15-15 Single Channel 2x512 prime 95 went for around 2 hours without any errors, then I got a BSOD =.... better but not there yet... good sign though, the DS and SR Defineately can have a big impact here... any insight on these settings would be much appreciated.

EDIT 3:

flashed 619xt tic tac bios 3-11 4-11 3-11 Single Channel does pretty good bout 40 minutes no errors... If I have to settle for single channel it maybe stable.. dunno... still searching for DC settings... as a side note, I finally figured out how to find the auto strength and slew settings... posted them in a separate thread so they would be easy to find... but for 2x512 VX RAM it's 4-11 4-11 4-11 when using slot 1 and 3

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try some of these Alphas: (just throwing out some ideas for DS sticks)

DS=5, DSR=10

DS=6, DSR=9

DS=6, DSR=8 (or maybe 7)

DS=7, DSR=8 (or maybe 7)

What Alphas have you been running lately? Have you tried 3-3-4-4-3-3-4 yet

and with the 'stock' Alphas (4-11, 4-11, 4-11)? If that doesn't do it then you

could try those with some DS & DSR variations.

well.. I tried a ton of randoms before I started a log... but nothing great has come of it so far...

for all of the following I was testing prime blend, 1.85vcore 3.47vdimm 250x10 Dual Channel in slots 1 and 3 and all the same settings as above...

the following drive strengths were all paired with a slew of 11...

all settings failed in 1 minute or less and were given atleast 2 chances, unless otherwise noted.

3 3 3

4 4 4 - auto setting

5 5 5

6 6 6

7 7 7

8 8 8

9 9 9

10 10 10 - BSOD

11 11 11 - BSOD

3 1 3 - BSOD

3 2 3 - BSOD

3 4 3

3 5 3

3 6 3

3 7 3 - 3min

4 1 4 - BSOD

4 2 4 - 2min

4 3 4

4 5 4

4 6 4

4 7 4

5 1 5

5 2 5 - 4min

5 3 5

5 4 5 - 2min

5 6 5 - 3min

5 7 5 - BSOD

6 1 6 - BSOD

6 2 6 - BSOD

6 3 6

6 4 6

6 5 6 - BSOD

6 7 6 - BSOD

few randoms

6-15 4-11 6-15

15-15 15-15 15-15

15-15 9-15 15-15

5-10 5-10 5-10 - BSOD

needless to say.. the results are pretty underwhelming... time to try something other than Drive Slew 11.... I'll check 10 and 12... sigh...

thx median for the suggestions I'll try them now.

You could try some of these Alphas: (just throwing out some ideas for DS sticks)

DS=5, DSR=10

DS=6, DSR=9

DS=6, DSR=8 (or maybe 7)

DS=7, DSR=8 (or maybe 7)

What Alphas have you been running lately? Have you tried 3-3-4-4-3-3-4 yet

and with the 'stock' Alphas (4-11, 4-11, 4-11)? If that doesn't do it then you

could try those with some DS & DSR variations.

stock DS DSR with 3-3-4-4-3-3-4 alpha's - BSOD

5-10 5-10 5-10

6-9 6-9 6-9

6-8 6-8 6-8

6-7 6-7 6-7

7-7 7-7 7-7

8-8 8-8 8-8

6-9 4-11 6-9

6-8 4-11 6-8

6-7 4-11 6-7

7-7 4-11 7-7

all fail in 1 minute or BSOD

Sorry i hav'nt been able to post the last few days, been stuck at work in a lockdown.

I know you've said a few times that it passes Memtest, but you only mention test5 so my question is have you run Memtest all the way through for 8hrs. If you have then the next question is, is your s/b actually cool to touch when at 250fsb.

Actually,

I decided to do that this moring and found errors in test #2... which I had ran b4 but it passed?....

so I tested 1 stick at a time... one is perfectly fine.. the other errors on test #2 like it ain't nobody's bidness!!!

crap!!! I left it burning in test #2 and left for work.. that was ~5 hours ago...

I didn't have time to see if the 1 good stick would pass 250 x 10 prime95 by itself... but I'm betting it will....

so this is disappointing... if the bad stick is failing test #2 I'm not sure that can be fixed with a burn in.... what's worse is you can't RMA 4000VX anymore because they discontinued the line...

they did offer me plat. 4200's... and I'm like pfft.. what good does that do me... won't do all 2-2-2-2-11 and my plat. rev 2 3200's will do 255 with cas 2.5.... so I said how 'bout some of them 4800 platinum elites :rolleyes: ... and he said, "sure!" :eek:

I was quite surprised... that's a good trade but I don't have an NF4 so I can't use that type of bandwidth yet... I'd still prefer working 4000VX...

wanna trade kitfit? :rolleyes:

wanna trade kitfit? :rolleyes:

What do you think.................................................noooooooooooop.

Your description of what was happening said it had to be the ram, regardless of what ever else you thought it might be. Both myself and Clay have been through the same thing twice, this is now my third set of VX. One chap over on Xtreme went through 6 rma's before he got a set that worked. If you try to get in touch with OCZ they might give you an rma direct. It's just bad luck, i know how you feel.

What do you think.................................................noooooooooooop.

Your description of what was happening said it had to be the ram, regardless of what ever else you thought it might be. Both myself and Clay have been through the same thing twice, this is now my third set of VX. One chap over on Xtreme went through 6 rma's before he got a set that worked. If you try to get in touch with OCZ they might give you an rma direct. It's just bad luck, i know how you feel.

Yeah I know, I've read up to page 19 of the can i do better thread...

what sucks is they will make me rma the set... I'd rather keep the one that's working and have them just swap out the bad one... sigh.. well, I'll call the dude I talked to their and see what is possible... worst case senario.... ocz plat 4800 elites are a pretty damn nice trade.

Yeah I know, I've read up to page 19 of the can i do better thread...

what sucks is they will make me rma the set... I'd rather keep the one that's working and have them just swap out the bad one... sigh.. well, I'll call the dude I talked to their and see what is possible... worst case senario.... ocz plat 4800 elites are a pretty damn nice trade.

Sending both back is a right bummer, my last set were better than this set until one stick went belly up. To be honest, if you can get an rma on them then take it. They blow the 4800's out of the water, as long as you get a good set.

Actually,

I didn't have time to see if the 1 good stick would pass 250 x 10 prime95 by itself... but I'm betting it will....

NOPE! this blows...

the good stick, stick 1, fails prime less than a minute... to I find out I I didn't some dedicated memtests runs... not just test 5... it fails test 7.... so I backed off the volts to 3.24v... still errors on test 7.... if I go lower than that it will fail test 5.... $hit! so both sticks suck...

the other stick, stick 2, fails prime in less than a minute... test 2 throws out errors like nuts, test 3 errors too.... probably some other random errors... whatever... If I back down the volts to 3.15 the test 2 errors disappear, but then test 5 gets 1000's of errors

Yep, if test 5 and 7 are failing then it's not recoverable. Test 5 with 1000's of errors is a non stater. Defo rma time, me think's.

Yeah... it just sucks, cuz that can't offer me another pair of VX since the discontinued the line, I got super lucky they got me these sticks.... so looks like I have to kiss 2-2-2-2-11 good bye :sad: bummer..

oh well, at least I can get the ocz plat 4800 elites to use with an NF4... whenever the heck I'll be able to get one of them... actually the boards not the problem... the opteron Denmark is the limiting factor... oh well... one day.