OCZ 4000VX on NF2 Lan Party B

Guest Darien_merged

Darien, as you can see from my sig i'm running VX in my rig and have been for a long time now. Although OCZ say you can pump 3.5vdimm through them, on an NF2 it won't get you any higher than 255fsb @ 2-2-2-2-11. Now comes the sticking point, normally you would loosen the timings but with VX it hates loose timings and will give Memtest errors all over the show. The only option that leaves you is to turn CPC off and run in single channel. The highest i've managed to get is 268fsb 2-2-2-2-11-2t single [email protected] with the pencil mod. The loss in bandwidth was massive and just was'nt worth the bother. It's much better to run at 250fsb and tighten up on the alpha's.

Yeah, I've been meaning to talk to you about the vx... good to know about the Vdimm mod being able to go up to 3.8v... can you give me a linky to the pencil mod please...

but here is the thing Kitfit... every system is different... my and although my VX passes memtest flawless at 250 boots up ok, runs 3dmark and some benchies fine.... it fails Prime95 in less than 1 minute...

I guess this is why they say it doesn't work on the NF2 boards... the VX works better in the DFI than it does in my Abit... but even still, It not gonna cut it as of yet... yet somehow you got yours toaster stable.... what's your experience with using it in NF2 (and others you know of)... was it just luck? or was there something you did that made it work better with your system.

futhermore... my system won't even boot with CPC on... even at defaults... and My SATA gets corrupt over 253.... and won't even get to windows after 257.... that being said, I'm not worried about going over 255 right now...

lastly I don't know $hit about alpha timings... any advice? or should I just play with NF2 tweaker once I'm in windows...

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than happy to help you out Darien but i need to know a couple of things. What vdimm are you running at when your at 250fsb? and what's your chipset voltage when at 250 fsb? The pencil mod was on a site hosted by Tic-Tac which is dead now unfortunately.

More than happy to help you out Darien but i need to know a couple of things. What vdimm are you running at when your at 250fsb? and what's your chipset voltage when at 250 fsb? The pencil mod was on a site hosted by Tic-Tac which is dead now unfortunately.

vdimm set to 3.3v == 3.36v

vdd set to 1.8v or 1.9v both work

turns out I can run the VX with cpc on at 250FSB

as for the pencil mod, can you take this picture and use M$ paint to draw in the pencil mod for me... I'd appreciate it...

Vdimm-Mod.jpg

one last thing, once I had my VX RAM in, I decided to go into windows at 255fsb again.... thinking maybe it was my plat rev2 RAM that was sabotaging me at 255.... and again while in windows everything is fine... but just doing it that one time, when I tried to reboot.... windows was totally hosed... I had Norton Ghost fix the errors from the corruption and it still wouldn't start... I'm gonna have to format the whole partition and start over from the backup...

thx for the help

Here's the pic Darien

pencil7ol.jpg[/img]

the more graphite you run along the side of the resistor the higher the vdimm. You will need a Dmm to measure the vdimm. I would strongly advise not to do this mod though for two reasons: 1:i did it and it killed my Infinity 2:it won't get you any higher than 255fsb and to get that you will need cpc off(not worth it).

There are some things i have done to my mobo. All the mosfets i can sink, i have.

The southbridge has got a 40mm fan glued to it. The ram has an 80mm fan over it. The northbridge has a Thermalright NB-1 Chipset Cooler on it.

As for settings:cpu 1.8v

vdimm 3.3v

chipset 1.9v

My cpu also has the L12 mod hardwired in, so when loading optimized defaults it boots at 200fsb. I think it's important when uping the fsb to go 10 to 12mhz at a time and save/exit, not to go from 200fsb straight to 250fsb. Also start Primeing at 243fsb@8hrs and then move on to 244fsb if it passes Prime. Keep moving up 1mhz at a time, that way it burns the ram and cpu in. It's a slow process, but it's really the only way to do it.

Can you list all of your timings, voltages and config settings for 250 FSB (which runs

fine and without issues). Are the settings you've used with 250 the same for the

higher frequencies you're trying to run?

Example of config/settings info:

E-A-E, 9-2-2-2-2.0, 9-12, 2-2-4-3-2-2-3, 3-10-3-10-3-10, E-E-F-E, E-E-256MB

233MHz-66MHz-x10-1:1, 1.7v-1.6v-1.7v-3.1v

Just thinking that having that info in this thread would make it easier to see

areas where a tweak here and there could help, or at least to have them in here

to get an idea of what you've tried so far, and without needing to pull up other

pages and etc.

Hope all goes well for you in the hunt for higher FSBs with the VX. :nod:

Darien,

Can you list all of your timings, voltages and config settings for 250 FSB (which runs

fine and without issues). Are the settings you've used with 250 the same for the

to get an idea of what you've tried so far, and without needing to pull up other

pages and etc.

Do you have NF2tweaker for running in Windows? You can take a look at what

the Alphas are running with it, if you're using Auto settings on those.

Thx for the pic Kit... that's what I thought it would be.. but I thought that you had to increase the resistance along that resistor to up the volts.... and graphite will lower the resistance across that resistor correct?

maybe i'm getting confused here... but if you say you did it and it works I'll give it a try...

I'll try priming the VX at 200... and I don't think it will pass, even though it's memtest stable and system stable... but I'll give it a try.. find the highest stable prime (if there is one) and try to burn it up from there... did you have these same prime95 failure issues with your VX RAM?

another thing I've been wondering about (a bit off topic).

will increasing the volts to the SB help to stop the SATA corruption... if not, what does the SB mod do?

and are there any suggestions you have to stabilize the SATA at high FSB? settings, driver, or mods... any thing at all (grasping at straws here)

Darien,

pages and etc.

Do you have NF2tweaker for running in Windows? You can take a look at what

the Alphas are running with it, if you're using Auto settings on those.

CPC on, 250 x 10 2-2-2-2-11-13-15 and all alphas are auto... I have NF2 tweaker, but haven't used it... I thought alpha were more of a fine tunning.. I just want it stable right now.. I figured the auto settings were stable.

3.3v = 3.36v Vdimm i usually go 1.9v chipset, sometimes 1.8v is OK

everything else is the same as my settings in the overclock database...

ocz 4000vx are designed to hit 250FSB... so that's where I started, I haven't done anything else as there hasn't yet been a need... they are memtest stable @ 250 x 10 2-2-2-11 1t.... no need to go lower (but i'll try that for prime stability), and I can't go much higher without SATA corruption.

Don't forget, at 200 they only need 3.1vdimm @11-2-2-2-2-1t. The southbridge gets painfully hot as it is, hence the reason i've got a fan on it. If you put a fan on it to cool it down, chances are it will get rid of your corruption problems. Putting even more voltage through it can only make matters worse i would have thought. The pencil mod defo increases the vdimm, but as i said be prepared to loose your mobo. If you think about it, it's really not worth the risk and finding another LPB could be very difficult.

Don't forget, at 200 they only need 3.1vdimm @11-2-2-2-2-1t. The southbridge gets painfully hot as it is, hence the reason i've got a fan on it. If you put a fan on it to cool it down, chances are it will get rid of your corruption problems. Putting even more voltage through it can only make matters worse i would have thought. The pencil mod defo increases the vdimm, but as i said be prepared to loose your mobo. If you think about it, it's really not worth the risk and finding another LPB could be very difficult.

the board already has a rather large heatsink on the SB, I'd be happy as pie to lap it and stick on active cooling... I'm good like that... but I've felt it and it doesn't get that hot... could be due to poor contact b/w the chip and heatsink... but still i doubt the corruption is a heat issue because I'll start it up cold and it will corrupt.. and the case temp in MBM5 which I believe is the SB temp sensor never gets hotter than 38C

as for the Vdimm mod.. I usually just go ahead and do the pot mod... I could try the pencil mod for fun... but it's really easy... measure the resistance across the SMD resistor, draw a line with pencil measure again... if it looks OK check voltage... turn off and repeat until desired settings are reached...

thx for the warnings, but I'm pretty experienced with mods and what not... and I know the risk in doing them... but i'm confident I'll be ok (famous last words :P )

The Alphas can make or break a stable OC. If you're okay with them set to Auto for a

250MHz FSB, it's possible you might need to look into those when going for a bit more

MHz, greater stability and alleviation of errors.

The DDS & DDSRs (DIMM driving strength & driving slew rates) don't usually needed

to be changed as often as the Alphas (or other timings) for stability, but some have

reported that they have helped gain that extra bit of stability and/or a few more MHz,

myself included.

If you want to, you can take a look at where your Alphas are at with NF2tweaker

and report them in here. I, kitfit1, or others might be able to throw out some tweaks

you could do with them and that could be worth trying. Up to you, just attempting

to cover as many bases as possible.

The Alphas can make or break a stable OC. If you're okay with them set to Auto for a

250MHz FSB, it's possible you might need to look into those when going for a bit more

MHz, greater stability and alleviation of errors.

The DDS & DDSRs (DIMM driving strength & driving slew rates) don't usually needed

to be changed as often as the Alphas (or other timings) for stability, but some have

reported that they have helped gain that extra bit of stability and/or a few more MHz,

myself included.

If you want to, you can take a look at where your Alphas are at with NF2tweaker

and report them in here. I, kitfit1, or others might be able to throw out some tweaks

you could do with them and that could be worth trying. Up to you, just attempting

to cover as many bases as possible.

I love to! will report the results once I get home, ( and restore my blown partion from the backup)... thx for the help.