OCZ 4000VX on NF2 Lan Party B

Guest Darien_merged

Guest Darien
I think I got about 245 max stable out of the 2x512 TwinMOS tmII400's w/tight timmings(Toaster requirements)

I even tried some Mushkin 222 special BH6 that looked promising,but in the end weren't any better

hmmm... not sure if these would yeild a significant performance increase for ya.. I'd feel really bad if you bought them and couldn't push past 245... but I have a feeling they will do better in a different system and know they will do better in NF3 or NF4... and as stated previously I was testing 1t, 2-2-2-2-x timings

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darien

Well... my BH-5 got here.. REAL BH-5... says it on the chips...

and I must say, I have mixed emotions but was overall a little disappointed.

at first I was stoked... it scaled all the way up to 240 x 10 1T with only 2.97vdimm!!!! I was like, HELL YEAH!!! then it took 3.18v to get 250, and I'm like OK.. that's still better than any other RAM I've ever had...

but then it couldn't do 255 x 10 1T !!!! what a pisser! It did eventually but I had to give it 3.6v and 2.0v to the NB to get 255... which still wasn't 100% memtest stable btw, It only did pass like 6 passes on test 5, but later I found it would error if I let it run longer...

then @ 255... in windows it wouldn't pass 3dmark01 to save it's life... I felt totally defeated... $h1t!!!

Hell my VX could do better than that, and the BH-5 was NO better than my TwinMos Speed Premum AA4T CH5-UTT Ram at 1T....

but then.. it did have one redeeming quality... it did something the other RAM couldn't do.... when I would switch the other modules to 2T... it wouldn't help much or at all.. maybe get 2 FSB more....

but when I switched the BH-5 to 2T, the bad boys scaled all the way up to

265 x 10, 2T, 2-2-2-2-11 at 3.6vdimm !!! I don't care if it is 2T that's impressive.. more than that, in windows it's more stable that 255 1T as it can readily pass 3dmark01...

and to be honest, I think those BH-5's might scale higher than 265.... cuz my board's NB craps out at 265, same place my TCC5 got stuck.... so who knows, on an NF4 they may go higher than 265...

I haven't had a chance to Prime or Super Pi yet... but those are the results...

I'm am a little dissappointed as these modules suck hard on 1t... and 250 1T has better bandwith (in memtest86) than 265 2T... they about the same in everest though... so not too bad....

so I'm happy and sad at the same time.... like I said, mixed feelings...

but as long as I can get 265 x 10, 2T, 2-2-2-2-11, 13-15, 3-3-4-3-2-2-3 stable I'll be pretty happy :)

Guest Darien

OK,

the BH-5 mysteriously does 255 1t, and does it at only 3.37v :) !!?!? it passs 10 loopes of test #5 no problem.. and I just let memtest loop all tests over night almost 8 hours 19 passes all tests and no errors!

but for some reason it still won't pass S&M or prime for even a minute.... 3dmark01 is still failing or BSOD.... any ideas why?

Guest Darien

well I bumped it to 1.8vcore just in case but I've done 265 x10 with 1.8vcore... and 260 x 10 with 1.775vcore...

so 1.775v then bumped to 1.8v should be plenty vcore for only 255 x 10....

what's odd is again I looped all tests in memtest 255 x10 1T, 2-2-2-2-11, 13-15, 3-3-4-3-2-2-3

with 3.37vdimm and 1.93 vdd, it ran about 4.5 hours with no errors, so went straight into looping test #5, did 30 passes no errors with a total run time of 5 hours and 10 minutes....

but as soon as I get into windows I'm getting BSOD.... I don't even have to run 3dmark01... WTH man! the RAM is solid... but something is making it very unhappy with windows.

and I'm getting different addresses on the BSOD's not always the same one?

I've tried many different RAMs on the same windows installation... the windows has been hosed repeatedly and I always restore from my Norton Ghost BackUP....

maybe I need to do a fresh instal using this RAM?

That 1t.

Doit at a speed where memtest passes and s&m don't, but by at the most, 2mhz.

find the mhz where s&m is stable at 1t, go up 1 or 2 mhz, then superpi it, 32m.

If need be, doit 2-4 times.

Then try s&m again.

If that works, repeat at the next fsb.

The windows bootup thing, back off for sure.

Maybe the cpu.

You don't need a new windows install for new memory.

Edit:

Remmeber not to go nuts on the cpu speed, when testing the memory.

It's only gonna cuase you problems.

1st get the memory figuered out, break it in if possible, then up the cpu to the desired speed.

This is the only way of going about it.

Superpi is doing wonders for breakin on my memory.

I'm gonna end up making my own thread on my results I guess, once I get 280 working during the day 100%.

Guest Darien
That 1t.

Doit at a speed where memtest passes and s&m don't, but by at the most, 2mhz.

find the mhz where s&m is stable at 1t, go up 1 or 2 mhz, then superpi it, 32m.

If need be, doit 2-4 times.

Then try s&m again.

If that works, repeat at the next fsb.

The windows bootup thing, back off for sure.

Maybe the cpu.

You don't need a new windows install for new memory.

Edit:

Remmeber not to go nuts on the cpu speed, when testing the memory.

It's only gonna cuase you problems.

1st get the memory figuered out, break it in if possible, then up the cpu to the desired speed.

This is the only way of going about it.

Superpi is doing wonders for breakin on my memory.

I'm gonna end up making my own thread on my results I guess, once I get 280 working during the day 100%.

OK, trying that.. but I backed it all the way down to 245 and it still won't pass S&M !!?!?! 250 is rock solid stable in every other way though?

what version of S&M are you using, I've got 1.7.6... also.. every time I have ever tried to run the cpu test with S&M I get a BSOD 100% of the time... no matter what the settings...

am I doing something wrong? or do I have an old version?

176 is the newest ver I have, I have'nt bothered upgrading it.

I use that specific ver for fpu testing(cpu).

I use 173 for memory testing, because I can use it in pe without modding pe at all.

For starters, try the short length, this will give you a general idea.

If you really want to know how well it holds up, use the loop mode, 3 loops.

For the cpu that is.

Other then that, prime to finish that off, nothing seems to beat prime except for gaming when it comes to the cpu.

Well, except for superpi if you use a low fft, liek for instance you keep trying 512k on it and it may eventually lock or fail.

Sometime, it or used to be this way for me, s&m was much harder on the cpu then prime.

It is'nt this way for me now, but I still use it to test the cpu anyways.

Memory testing, superpi and s&m, using the normal length memory test for s&m and 32m for superpi.

My perosnal results from this last weekend:

Well, for starters this is dc mode, 275 is something I pretty much allways passed unless I was having troubles or if my rig was hot, s&m memory wise.

Prime too.

By using prime and superpi off and on, I got 278 s&m stable memory wise.

I now thinik prime is to much and makes things worse when it's not finilized though, I noticed this on 280.

For now I'm trying a weaker fft for prime at 279 for now, so I can check out the net.

Superpi passes some lower timings at 275, s&m is still unstable.

I have no clue if I can get it to break in or not, but there's some potential to be had.

280 is straight up gaming stable now, along with capturing stable too!

Quite wicked.

283, came off as 284 in everest, some freaky bench results, very nice.

ver 4k memory write speds, over 4.2k read speeds, under 2ns away from being the 3rd best when it comes to ref speeds in everest.

I'm now saying prime is a no go for breakin...

Oui, so I need to find some more programs.

Superpi has been great, but it does not loop, I'd like to loop something for hours while I'm sleeping...

Need to find the drives for my samsung...

Ok on your end again.

If it's failing 245, yikes.

Well goto the highest stable for superpi32m.

Try it a few times and then try s&m.

If you can get s&m to pass, prime should pass automaticly if you got the 2 passing memory wise.

Forget what memtest says btw, I've found that if that gets errors, you can get it to stop by bypassing it and going directly to the real testing.

Just use it for testing new timings and the like(still, the idea is the same).

S&M will tell you if you're not using enough voltage.

For memory and bus.

I can pass prime with the tightest of timings that I could do at 2.8v vmem and 1.6v vdd.

However I still need 2.9v-3.0v(depending on the bios) and 1.8v to pass s&m.

If I can figuer out this hexus pifast there may be a better program right there for breakin.

As long as it can do at least 32m pi's.

You can setup how many loops and etc on this thing.

Anyways it seems that you are failing the cpu test big time.

That is a huge problem.

There is a way to break this in however, but it depends on what os you use.

2k is out of the ? when it comes to one method.

The other method that seems to do well, that my buddy recently told me about, is to run gtasa, no joke, and just let it sit there for a few hours in a crouded area.

The ai takes care of the rest ;), because it uses the fpu.

It does seem to work, I tried it at 275, where I need 1.475.

1.425 pretty much gets me screwed fast in that, faster then prime even.

1.45 lasts maybe 40mins.

If I keep runnign it at 145 it may just break in.

It's apperently how my buddy got one of his durons at 2.3ghz @ 1.65v, on a via mobo no less.

I can do 2400 with that voltage so far.

There is that other method, which only gets you as far as passing s&m without any probs, I mean you can run 15 loops out of the fpu test @ 100load easy afterwards.

But I never went further with it, because I still failed prime.

What you do is load up this program called deeplogic.

Then load up s&m, use 5% load and fpu test only, loop length.

Run for 4hrs or more.

Got me completely stable once on s&m at full load without any prgrams taking up cpu time.

Look up deeplogic in this forum, it was posted here, I don't think you can get it anywhere else.

Here's a batch I use for now:

set path=.

deeplogic -n 1000 -s 6 -d 3 -w 52

pause

Lets make sure you're quantum's are setup right too btw:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPriorityControl]

;System Timer Priority

;"IRQ0Priority"=dword:0000001a

"IRQ0Priority"=dword:00000028

;I'm not sure if this actually exists or not yet, it is'nt stored in ntoskrnl.exe for sure

;None the less mem bandwith is slightly up and video is very smooth, might just be me

;There is a way I can test it, I will later

;For now I'll set it up like I do for the Quantums, it's probably the same, if not whatever lol

;Quantum Priority

;"Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:0000001a

"Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:00000028

This will give you the max multitasking capability ;), it's an absolute must for capturing and previewing at the same time on a tv out, and surfing the net at the same time.

The 1Ah one gets you more speed, but it's not cool in that respect, the multitasking thing.

It also hampers your ability to do the above tricks.

Btw, the more cpu speed ytou have going, the harder it is on the memory, if the memory is'nt up to task yet, it will not be stable at those higher speeds at all.

Even if it is stable, there's times where it takes alot more work to get higher speeds for cpu, even if the cpu can doit.

I'm pretty sure we can get you s&m stable though ;), if that's your only prob.

Guest Darien

you're so far out of my league it's hard for me to understand you sometimes...

what is gtasa.... where can I get it... linky?

same with deep logic.. i'll search for it here... thx...

as for quantums.... damn.. no idea... looks like a regitry entry to me...

1st i'll boost my volts and see if I get any love...

then I'll search for the proggies you suggested.... links would be arrpeaciated if you have them..

thx again neo

EDIT:

linky to deep logic on the boards was posted by user, Deep Logic

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...light=deeplogic

but the link is dead so if you can post it I'd appreciate it.

GTASA = Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas :P are you serious... lol

Yeah hehe, gtasa :).

Deeplogic link is dead?

Well allrighty, I'll link it.

Actually, I'm gonna reset and re-flash my bios, I was trying a simple trick but, well.., hmm, mabye I shoudl try it out single chan...

Hmm, brb anyways so I can get stable.

I don't wanna link to you some bad programs and all.

Edit:

Deeplogic attached ;).

Seems single chan may not cut it either.

I apperently need to make another bios, darnit all...

Anyways it seems that 278 may be my max for now the way things are.

Yeah I was a bit surprised to here that gtasa did the fpu thing pretty decently.

I tried it myslf and got some results, I did'nt mess with it to long.

I play that game all the time while I'm priming ;), long ago it used to be like kicking prime up a notch.

However in 2k, it takes away to much time from prime and I can't get any priming done.

I gotta install 2k3 in a bit here so I can have some real fun.

I'd really like to get something like 266x9.5 or x10 going for the heck of it.

It's been ages since I did anything for my own cpu.

Anyways run deeplogic along with s&m at the same time.

As long as your on xp and up it'll do what it's supposed to.

You may want to let s&m run at 5% load, that's all I did, for 4hrs.

Then after a bit, stop the 2, and check s&m at higher loads with the quick test.

I never had any probs with that ;).

I do have probs if I don't disable any hd controller stuff I don't use, the channels.

Also, setup lba for the hd's, just a bug fix for times when the mobo thinks it's chs for some reason(never had the problem).

Also make sure to use chs for the cd or dvd drives, big instability probs if you don't(wth is up with this...I dn, but it's true).

The floppy.

If you don't have one conencted, make sure you disable both the 2 channels and the actual controller.

It's like the hd issue, if you leave the hd's on auto and nothing is there, problems with stability.

I never noticed these around 266 or anything, but in the 270's there's huge issues.

So it does'nt hurt to doit.

The dfi ide cables, toss them out if you use them, use diff ones.

As for agp in it's self.

I don't disable a thing, I'd like to disable apertures but it hardlocks.

I use 32m, but that's up to you on that.

The latency however, I use 16.

Depending on your video card, you may need more vagp.

It all depends on if you got high speed bga ddr or better, and if you got external power on it or not.

If there's no extra power, like a ti4600 for example, then you need a min of 1.6v vagp, 1.7v for above 81mhz.

Btw check the above post, and woudl you be willing to test 2 beta bios sometime?