Can't Power PC Up At All

so on that note, since it's looking like I'm going to have to say goodbye to the ol' aspire, what PSU's would you recommend to get this machine going and also be good enough to support dual GPUs?

I'm not sure yet, but I'm looking at some other models myself. I don't really like those extreme high rated PSUs (600+ Watts), as they often do not give any more power than a 'normally' rated PSU where it matters. They're all stuck around or below 400 Watts @ 12v, give or take a few. The rest of the rated power comes from the 3,3v / + 5v / -12v lines where you will never use it. 3,3v + 5v power consumption will be stuck around 120 Watts, so add something for safety and go for a minimum of 200 Watts @ 3,3v + 5v. At the 12v line(s) you can never get enough.

Important to look at in a PSU (I think anyway):

*all lines above 30A, in case of multiple 12v lines look for the combined current (but don't just add the amps on all of the 12v lines).

*high efficiency, preferably above 80% under all conditions.

*good cooling, as a cooler PSU will deliver more power to your system and will be more efficient.

*reliable brand, like Enermax or Seasonic.

And, since we are having this problem, it should be an EPS 12v compatible PSU, not just ATX 12v 2.0...

So I'm looking at these three options myself:

*Enermax FMA 535 (or Whisper II in some countries)

*Enermax Liberty 500

*Seasonic S12 500

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at the Hiper Type R 580 for myself too, but it has some objections:

*120 mm + 80 mm fan; I don't understand this, as almost any 80 mm fan is loud and the added airflow of this fan will be quite low when already equipped with a 120 mm fan.

*maximum DC output @ 12v is around 360 Watts; you're not ever going to be needing 220 Watts @ 3,3v + 5v, so that is somewhat wasted capacity. If you are ever going to need it in a SLI/Crossfire setup, it will be @ 12v. But you can't use the extra power there as it is limited to 'only' 360 Watts. For comparison, the Enermax FMA 535 and the Seasonic S12 500 can deliver 408/396 Watts resp. @ 12v.

*the Type R 580 efficiency is not very high, around 78% @ 230 Watts consumption. For comparison, the Enermax FMA 535W / Zippy 600W / Antec Phantom 500W all get around 88% @ 230 Watts, that's about as high as it's going to get.

I would seriously consider this Seasonic S12 500, because it's very quiet, very powerfull and has very high efficiency. I'm going to get one myself today, because I tested the S12 430 version and it was very impressive.

I've got your same problem. I've spent more than 3500€ on this new configuration... and my new PC doesn't boot... I first thought it was my Enermax 600W.... but when I listened to your problems I think I better buy an Asus A8R-MVP... Will this new mobo work with my PSU??? I sincerely need some help, please tell me If I need to change my PSU too. Thank you all very much in advance.

P.S.: I never had a DFI mobo... this is the first time and I regret this :(

yea I agree, this is the 1st DFI mobo I've ever purchased and it's probably going to be my last. Many people have told me that the Hiper Type-R 580 is a very good PSU, and works very well with their DFI crossfire setups, so I plan on buying one asap. I'm not sure if that Enermax will work but if you've already purchased it, then I hope it does

...bent like 5 or 6 pins on my 4400+, think AMD will replace it?

I think hitting up a jeweler might be your best bet, there is no way AMD is liable so there isn't any reason for them to replace an expensive cpu.

But seriously though, many have said that jewelers can fix bent pins, even replace broken ones. Might wanna check that out if you don't have your own tiny tweezers. :)

I bent pins once on my p4 3.0 CPU a couple years back. I managed to repair it myself....but BOOOYYYYY was I sweating golf balls. That certainly is not a confortable posistion to be in. But with steady hands and proper pressure with special tweezers (making sure not to scratch the glod platting, as it will degrade the signal quality) you can fix it. Just take your time; but if there's a store that does that for you locally, I guess that would be the best route.

I just got done fixing my cpu myself...here's a hint for anybody who ever has the same problem. Tweezers were too big, couldn't really maneuver em around. Get a bread tie and trim off all the plastic or paper stuff on it, then band it in half to be able to "lasso" any pins bent down. Then just pull it right up and back to normal position. Fixed every pin on my cpu with it. Maybe if I ever feel like putting my new parts in I'll tell ya how it workx