Opteron 148 now unstable

Johnson

Had my 148 about 3/4 months now and it was quite happilly sitting at [email protected] in the bios but I wasnt very happy with load temps.Tried various heatsinks etc and have had a really good sort out of my cables etc but it still seems to get too hot.

I have had to knock the clock down as it started just powering off and I was not prepared to give it any more volts.

It now runs at 1.450volts @ 250 x 11 and seems to back to normal.

A question now if you have got this far.

I decided to break out the DMM and see if I could find what the cause of the instability was.

When I went back to my original overclock I found that the chip was receiving 1.58 volts(reported 1.52) now would this overvolting,which I know is not a great amount compared to what some people put through their cpus actually damage the chip?

I dont want to remove the IHS as it was a retail chip which I could obviously sell quite easily if I was to upgrade (X2 :drool: ) but I do think that the IHS is not making that good a contact with the core.

Does this sound like a fault with the chip or could the problem be elsewhere?

Trying to decide whether or not to go for a 4800 X2,do they O/C well and what should be the safe max voltage for one of these(read from the board not software/bios)?

Thanks

J

hi Johnson,

I'd say your voltage is 2 high.

I'm , running a 148 @264 x 11 9:10 24/7 my vcore is at 1.325x110% = 1.46v, can run fine above that but need 1.35x110% = 1.485v.

The above show as 1.41 & 1.44v is MBM

Most threads seem to suggest 1.5v as a ceiling on air cooled opterons, but i must admit have not found that i need it.

Temps:_

Idle

Opty_Idle.PNG

Load:-

Opty_Load.PNG

I couldnt figure out why it was just rebooting so as I said I broke out the multmeter and checked all the rails and thought I know will check actual VCore.

It surprised me that its so different from the bios tbh.

I think I may sell this chip and get an X2 then and will make a point of checking the VCore on all future mobo purchases just to be safe.

I swopped out the OCZ psu I have last night to my Hiper 580 just for a test but have not had time to measure rails and stuff on that yet but will do.

I have the crappest luck with CPUs lol.

J

Yes have not tried a multmeter yet. have currently backed down 2 the lower voltage i showed, as i think i may be starting to get some pSU instability as my 12v @ 1.485v is showing max amps with 80% loading.

Would have thought your OCZ was better than your Hiper, u can adjust the pots om the OCZ ??

Not sure if your rebooting is something else, :-

Memory Stability

Gfx Card/Driver issues.

I have the crappest luck with CPUs lol.
- Yep it's a lottery :nod:

This 148 is the closest i've been 2 winning so i'm pretty happy, hope u get there.

luck :)

Yeah the rails are adjustable and they are correct.

I threw the Hiper in just in case it was a psu issue and wanted to eliminate it more than anything else.

Tried another set of Patriots I have and still the same also chucked in my PC3500 BH5 with the same results.

I need to do a reinstall of Windows so might do that tonight if time permits.

J

I decided to break out the DMM and see if I could find what the cause of the instability was.

When I went back to my original overclock I found that the chip was receiving 1.58 volts(reported 1.52) now would this overvolting,which I know is not a great amount compared to what some people put through their cpus actually damage the chip?J

I have quoted myself above lol the info was in my original post

Hope that helps

J

Ok quick update,

I have measured again and results are below

Set volts Bios Actual MBM CPU- z

1.500, auto 1.48 1.497 1.46 1.456

1.375*110% 1.48 1.513 1.46 1.456

1.400*110% 1.51 1.533 1.49 1.488

1.425*110% 1.54 1.569 1.52 1.52

I didnt make a note of the combination of VCore * % when I got the scary 1.58 volts sorry.

What can I conclude from this?

Not a lot it would seem lol only that the VID % does seem to vary the VCore quite significantly from the actual shown voltages within the bios.Also its a good idea not to rely on any software or bios voltages without checking with a multimeter first as I have always done.

J