DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

I would have to recommend grub. It is very robust and has all the options you could want. I'm not sure if the WinXP boot manager would play nice with linux or not. I'd suggest using a grub bood disk (usually made during the OS install) and using it to boot into windows. A bit slower, but less risky.

i second grub, i have had lilo fubar my system like 4 times now (no exaggeration). ever since the last time i just decided to use grub. now i know how to fix it if i do mess it up, but it's still a better idea to use grub IMO. seems to be more stable and powerful anyway.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest culinist

I third grub. To me it is much easier to configure. And have never had an issue with it that I couldn't overcome.

As for printing I just installed the hpijs print driver for my OfficeJet 6110 and away I went. Haven't got the scanner working yet, but then again I haven't scanned anything in years anyway.

Guest culinist

Yo King good to hear from ya.

I've heard that cannon printers are not supported very well in linux. It's a shame to have to pay for drivers....as long as it was worth it though, I guess the other $1,000's of free software makes up for it:)

cul

Yeah.... paying for drivers sucks. But it is a nice driver.... and I'm not sure they ever actually paid for the upgrade from trial version. The trial version watermarks everything but 'draft' quality..... but the draft quality is about the same as the best resolution I could find with free drivers. And if you're printing small photos you can sometimes avoid the watermark (although it prints in a different place every time).

And you heard right... Canon printers aren't supported very well in linux.

i run linux, i run slackware -- i love slackware, and i really don't think anything stacks up to it in the linux distro world. believe me, i've tried just about all of them (but not much bsd yet).

I love Slackware too, along with Gentoo. It was really refreshing putting in a clean Slackware installation after messing around with a bloated Mandrake distro. Although, I have to admit when I first tried Slackware I reinstalled it at least 10 times trying to figure out what partition scheme I should use and what packages to install. It was all worth it when I got my system the way I wanted it. I had Slack/FreeBSD dual boot on my last laptop but I didn't really mess around with FreeBSD because I was happy that I had Slack working great.

Curiousity has gotten the better of me...is anyone running something that is not Linux or Windows?

Like say BeOS? or one of the *BSD varients?

Maybe even Qnx ... I haven't tried one of these for a while now, but I might just do so in a coffee induced state...