Help removing IHS

What Tool should i use to remove the IHS of my opty 146? I have here a dismantled Gillete Mach3, a stanley knife. And a rather sharp scalpel. Iv attempted a couple of times and wussed out cus the blade seems too thick. Even with the mach3 blade. the steel backplate the blade is mounted on doesnt allow it to go under the IHS. With the scalpel and stanley knife iv kinda been worried about pushing too hard. What Tools have you guys used to do this? How much force is needed to get blade under the IHS?

Quite honestly if you have no other processor it won't be worth it, probably 70% of the time you're just going to get slightly (3-4C) better temps withoiut any gain i overclock. Its up to you, just be careful not to cut yourself, I bled all over mine...

I used the dismantled razor blade trick (twice actually). You have to be careful not to damage the smr's on the pcb, I saw someone destroy a good cpu on this forum.

Advise time, if you cant afford the possible stuff-up of a perfectly good cpu, dont do it. The temp diffrence is not worth it.

If you like to live on the wild side, (e.g. driving without a spare tyre) go around the IHS a few times carefully with the razor blade, taking a little more each time..

Use a blade like this...

A64x2NEKID.jpg

No cuts... easy thumb pressure... and use a picture of your naked chip blown up to cut around without damaging anything.

Takes about 10 min. if you're careful.

I had good temps before and now I'm 4C lower at idle and 10C lower at load.

Up to you... mines a month old and I can't afford to replace it but... OH WELL, no reward without risk?

Id use the razor from the shaver...start at the corners and pivot (I have some good pics on here somewhere). After you think you've cut all the way around, use dental floss to get any spots you missed to avoid any accidental damage. If it doesn't want to pop off, heat the IHS with a hairdryer for a minute or 2 to heat up the TIM so it pulls off easier.

Take it from me...this is definitely a risky proposition and you can kill the chip and be very very sad :sweat: