Nvidia chipset drivers - what to install?

When installing v6.70, there are 4 options:

Network

SMBus

Storage

Audio

Since I have an Expert w/ Marvell lan and Realtek audio, I only selected SMBus and Storage, then got the latest audio and lan drivers from the source. I didn't install the Nvidia IDE driver because I've heard some people have had issues with it.

Is this right? Is there any benefit to installing Nvidia network and audio?

the nvidia network drivers are for the nvidia LAN chip and the audio drivers are for the onboard audio. if you use the Marvell LAN then you're set to go.

i installed the storage driver. i've tried it with and without and have noticed no differences or problems. it's safe to not install it for sure so just do that.

i've noticed that you can't run windows drive speed test (at least i can't) w/o the storage drivers installed, so that's why i put them on.

Speaking of the nForce chipset software... does anyone have to reinstall windows after installing the IDE SW driver? everytime I click yes, it corupts my windows installation, and i have to reinstall... no matter what, I have tried it on 2 different setups

everytime I click yes, it corupts my windows installation, and i have to reinstall...

Don't do that!

Certain setups don't like the nVidia IDE drivers. No one is sure why but it happens.

Personally, I've never had a problem running the nVidia drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this thread, and I would like some clarification.

Is the "Storage Driver" and IDE drivers the same thing?

Or do I, after choosing to install the storage driver, get a special message asking me if I want to install the IDE driver?

In other words, is the "Storage driver" a package deal, where I can separately choose to not install the IDE driver? I seem to recall getting a popup when running NF2 asking me if I wanted to install the IDE driver.

Okay, but does that mean that there are other things installed when you install the "storage drivers", or do you not even need to install the storage drivers if you don't want to use the "IDE driver". Since I thought the storage drivers were just a different name for the IDE driver, I didn't even install it, but perhaps I should, and then just deny the IDE driver.

I will try that. :)

• 3 weeks later...

A bit confusing:

I have both SATA and IDE harddrives, but currently (till i get a stable system) i connected only the sata one, which drivers should i need?

currently I installed winxp x64 and the whole nvidia driver package with both storage and IDE SW.

the IDE SW is needed if i want to use ide devices or windows can go even without it?

You know... it would help a LOT if the folks at nVidia would simply make that checkbox list a bit LONGER with more options on what to install or NOT.

Currently I am pondering wth SMBus Drivers are for. As for "Storage Driver", I use SATA RAID, which is already installed during XP install (ala f6). However an update to those drivers (in the future) would be welcomed, but not with the extra baggage of PATA drivers too.

I've had issues using the nVidia LAN. I am just using the Marvell now, that works fine.

It sux that I can't connect to another PC in my household while still being connected to the Internet, but that's the Nvidia drivers for ya.