Can't get past 5 hours on Prime95

bose301s

Well, I got new RAM after my board killed 2 sets of VX, I'm now running OCZ PC4200 Platinum and running it at 260*10 for 2600 mhz or about what my CPU could handle with the VX. My problem is that I cannot run Prime95 for more than 5:30 before a fatal error occurs whether I am using the 6-23 BIOS or the new 11-14 or whatever it is BIOS. I even bumped down to 259*10 which is 6 MHZ lower on the CPU than what ran stable on Prime95 forever. Any help is appreciated.

I am having the same problem with my VX. Mine used to be stable at ~242 when I had my 3000+ winchester, but when I got my opty it is only stable around 215MHz using a 5/6 divider!! I have tried about 5 different timings settings including ones posted by OCZJohn on the OCZ forums. What's up?

I'm beginning to think it might be the memory controller on this chip, I got a really bad overclocking chip and the memory controller sucks. Im gonna try at 255*10, if this doesnt work I may drop back down to 236*11 and try to decrease the latencies on the RAM.

It sounds like you are getting a proper round of troubleshooting done even though reluctantly as you are finding out what doesn't work. The memory controllers are not even the same for identicle CPU's much less different models. Thus the extreme differences in results so try from the bottom up to see what it will do and run the divider to make shure you are not wasting time looking down the wrong path, Make shure the CPU is stable first. I found I had great issues with tref to get stable.

Iv'e had the same thing happen with me.

I needed over 2.9v vdimm (3.0~3.1v) to run high freq. with my modules.

Running lower DDR freq. with 2.9v goes fine .

Setting higher i noticed that vdimm makes some drops from 3.1 sometimes all down to

2.9x during stress test (high load of mem with prime95 ) .

Descided to change the vdimm feed jumper to run from +5v instead of +3.3

and the memory load vdimm drop disappeared .

It stays spot on same voltage all the time.

Don't know if its the motherboards regulators getting flakey with over 2.9v vdimm with 3.3v feed or if its the PSU .

Start a Prime95 and have the MBM5 dashboard visible with vdimm voltage monitored

and see if you have any drops when running prime .

If you have concider changing vdimm feed away from +3.3v .