Overclocking- Give up?

czGLoRy

So, I tried reading the guides, and I asked if theres an easy way to OC, but Ive just about given up. I was wondering if its possible to baby-step smeome thru overclocking, opty 148 to maybe even only 2.2 ghz (not much of a OC) at all would be great.

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Platinum System Memory Mode

this is not recommended for overclocking. 2-3-5-2 timings are great but this stuff barely makes it to 220 @ 2.5-3-8-3...it just isn't overclocking stuff which is probably why you are having so much trouble getting overclocked.

Don't worry about the RAM. make sure it's DDR400 or lower throughout your CPU overclocking. RAM doesn't make much real world performance difference if it's already at low timings.

All I can suggest to you is the following.. run a voltage and FSB that works for someone else with the same chip assuming his voltage is not overkill, and see if it works. Remember to keep the RAM on a strict divider.

Try and find the WORST POSSIBLE RESULT, and work your way up from there, for that chip. Look for the worst possible overclock and work your way up from there. I found that the worst overclock on a 3200+ venice was 1.5v @ 2400 Mhz.. so I tried it on my chip, it worked, and can even do slightly more. Push from the worst logged overclock if you don't want to do all the tweaking yourself.

I would suggest to start off with 1.45v, 300 FSB, 3:2 RAM divider, 9x multiplier. But I can't really speak for your chip.

well the thing is i don't know where to start overclocking at all, thats my problem! If i knew how to do the worst overclock, then slowly progress, i would be OK i think.

Try a divider 2:1 or half speed at least to test out. Follow the regular guides. Try 1.4 volts to start out with and gently increase the FSB testing with prime. If it fails prime and your temps are under 50 increase volts slightly and re test with prime and check temps. Dont go over 1.5 vcore if you can avoid it and really avoid over 1.55 though I have more than that myself with water cooling.

I am asuming you are memtest stable at stock speeds.

Once you are prime stable at a decent speed test with 3dmark and memtest again then if you want try for a higer divider.

Simple enough?

Edit we do have the same CPU see sig and 2.2 is stock speed.

If I remember correctly, the Opty 148 is stock clocked at 2.2GHz. I currently have my Opty 148 at 2.92GHz on air cooling (not stock cooling though).

What I did to start, was set my RAM divider to 1/2, LDT multi to 3X, then slowly moved my FSB/HTT up 15MHz at a time, running SuperPI 32M at each step. When I finally wasn't able to complete it, I would back my FSB/HTT down by 1-2MHz and try again. When I found the highest stable SuperPI 32M, then I ran OCCT test. If it failed, I backed my FSB/HTT down another 1-2MHz. Once SuperPI and OCCT passed, then I did the 3DMark tests, repeating the same procedure, and eventually ran Prime95 for 8+ hours.

Once you find the CPU max, then you can work on RAM. Btw, this is the extremely condensed version of what is in the comprehensive OC guid here on the forums. At least, this was the method I used to find my OC. Check post 114 in the Socket 939 OC database for my exact setup. I have the same basic CPU and mobo, different memory though.

There really isn't an *easy* way to OC as far as I've been able to tell. You can make your setup however you want, but it will take significant testing for this place to consider an OC stable. I've had my system put together since 12/23, and I just finally got my max OC stable yesterday (1/7).

Guest ElAguila

Look at the bios screen on that linked page. The ram divider will be found in the DRAM Configuration. The htt divider is the LTD/FSB Frequency Ratio.