OCZ Platinum 2x1GB Rev. 1 = not good Overclocking RAM

Big Fat Duck

I need to run these things at 203 mhz on a 9/10 divider while my fsb is 240. For a 3 mhz overclock i need to boost the voltage to 2.8 and run the timings at 3-3-3-6 (original 2-3-2-5) for stability in windows for more than 10 minutes. Ridiculous. It has absolutely no overclockability, at least mine don't.

I need to run these things at 203 mhz on a 9/10 divider while my fsb is 240. For a 3 mhz overclock i need to boost the voltage to 2.8 and run the timings at 3-3-3-6 (original 2-3-2-5) for stability in windows for more than 10 minutes. Ridiculous. It has absolutely no overclockability, at least mine don't.

So r u asking for advice on which new RAM to buy???

well gee

I don't remember seeing big reviews anywhere that touted this as the craziest RAM on earth and you had to rob people like a crackhead to get the money together to get these before aliens swooped down and stole the entire supply so they could go back and overclock their home planet and become a dominant force in the universe...

lol

these modules are excellent modules with excellent timings...but they were never touted as overclockers.

and

you possibly forgot to read the threads stuck to the top of the AMD - Overclocking section that will enlighten you that running memory on a divider in an Athlon64 system is not taboo and there's no real penalty for it...?

maybe you should go check those threads out...and don't just look at them...spend some time reading them.

then after, if you are still not satisfied with your modules, sell them and get something like the OCZ PC4000EL, EB, or GX kits which all do at least 250 1:1, and most will do 265+.

you can also see my entry in the OC Database here with the 2-3-5-2's that you have...I had to drop to 2.5-3-8-3 just to get 220 @ 1:1 out of them...

then you can also look at my 4000EL, EB, and GX entries to see if you are interested in those modules...or possibly some Mushkin, GEIL, Corsair, Ballistix... whatever you like.

im warning people that this ram sucks for overclocking, even if you want 3 stinking mhz out of it

then your label of "Purchase Advice" is incorrect.

There's no real need to post a thread about the bad overclocking ability of this memory because everyone here already knows this stuff is great for stock speed and dividers but is not good for memory overclocking (heh, you are late to the game).

read the reviews at newegg on this stuff...it says the same as this forum (and you can use the search function here and find a lot of threads already saying the same thing, or asking if they are good for overclocking and being told repeatedly no they are not).