athlon xp???

I'm wanting to upgrade my cpu, I found a nice athlon xp 2800 at a nice price, but... a buddy of mine told me that I shouldn't put anything over a 2500 in socket A boards. is there any know issues with xp 2600s and up? Also I notice that many of you are running XP mobils in your systems, do I have to change any setting if I drop a xp mobile in my NF II infinity?

If u use a mobile XP processor, I recomend that u flash 6/19 bios. Also u have to set the FSB, multiplyer and Vcore in the bios to get the maximun out of ur cpu, as the bios will default to low settings for a mobile.

Bruce

Moving from a non-overclocked 1800+ to a 2800+ will give satisfactory improvements in most parameters.

What your friend probably meant was that an overclocked 1800+ which may do 2.2-2.4 ghz will not be of much difference to overclocked 2500+ which may do 2.3-2.6 ghz. Or for that matter other higher rated xps will top off at 2.4 to 2.6 ghz.

Some mild differences at the most.

If you want to aqueeze the most out of your Infinity, get a mobile 2500 or 2600 if there are still any available and apply the tweaks which you can easily search in many threads here. Good luck !! :)

Is that 1800+ you have an unlocked Thoroughbred-B CPU?

If it is, I'd stick with that and OC it. :D

I know its a tghorobread but I bought it OEM so don't have much info on it. how would I go about figuring out if its unlocked?

Are you able to manually change the multiplier on the CPU itself, and through the BIOS?

Also, if your new to using these boards and don't have either a BIOS Savior and/or an extra

BIOS chip, then you ought to consider getting either of those or both. That way if you run

into BIOS corruption or a no boot situation, you can recover from that taking place.

It would probably be a good idea to look into that before changing many BIOS options

and etc.