removed IHS and now temps are HIGHER???? help

i remove the ihs and i filed down the stands so that the hs will make better contact but now im getting 54/55 load with 1.66 volts as opposed to 50 before the IHS removal.

hwo can i fix this???

thanks in advance

hjmmmm yeh...i think a bit more filing mite do it... i was a bit cautius..

i will try tomorrow

When you remove the heatsink, you should be able to see the contact patch from the thermal compound, and see how "tight" they are fitting by how thin the layer of thermal compound was after the heatsink was attached. I would imagine this would tell you if you have a good contact or not.

Guest Dynamic

Why would someone even mess with that anyway? Did you scratch up the surface or something? Even if you did scratch it up you can use AC5 to fill up the scratched area's. So when you put the HSF back on it will have better contact. I would never mess with the IHS on any processor. I hope you get it working, unless you want to cash out for anything CPU soon. GL!

Note: It's like trying to pull off your HSF and all of a sudden you hear this big bang, and see your IHS at the bottom of your HSF, now that's not a good thing. How would you put that back on, on top of the core? <----THERE I JINXed myself. Damn....

Why would someone even mess with that anyway? Did you scratch up the surface or something? Even if you did scratch it up you can use AC5 to fill up the scratched area's. So when you put the HSF back on it will have better contact. I would never mess with the IHS on any processor. I hope you get it working, unless you want to cash out for anything CPU soon. GL!

Note: It's like trying to pull off your HSF and all of a sudden you hear this big bang, and see your IHS at the bottom of your HSF, now that's not a good thing. How would you put that back on, on top of the core?

If his IHS is scratched up to the point where he would want to remove it due to this reason, then AS5 would in no way repair such damage. You talk as if it can be applied like filler to some walls. Its not designed for that. It is designed to be used to iron out very very slight imperfections in the surface of the spreader, since it will not be perfectly flat, where by a very thin layer is applied.

The reason for IHS removal is fairly obvious.

Guest Dynamic

Yeah, so he can just easily crack his core if he drops his HSF wrong, hehe. You said it all Rookie, and thanks for telling me to go back to school bro, i love it.

Why would someone even mess with that anyway?

1. It gives you lower temps..

2. There is a possibility of clocking higher..

3. This is the MODIFICATIONS section !! :nod:

Some of us will go to silly lengths to get a few more mhz, even if it does mean voiding a warranty..

Lets be nice to each other guys.. If someone has a problem then please report it to a mod or admin through pm and we will take care of it..

note: Mods and Admins can see deleted posts just in case you didnt know that..

NOW LETS KEEP THIS ON TOPIC !!

When you remove the heatsink, you should be able to see the contact patch from the thermal compound, and see how "tight" they are fitting by how thin the layer of thermal compound was after the heatsink was attached. I would imagine this would tell you if you have a good contact or not.

agreed, and when you remount your HS, you can go into BIOS under PChealth and tighten down your HS while watching your temps....................

Note: It's like trying to pull off your HSF and all of a sudden you hear this big bang, and see your IHS at the bottom of your HSF, now that's not a good thing. How would you put that back on, on top of the core?

anything I answer to this post would be considered a flame.....................

so just check this out

IMG_0936.jpg

agreed, and when you remount your HS, you can go into BIOS under PChealth and tighten down your HS while watching your temps....................

anything I answer to this post would be considered a flame.....................

so just check this out

IMG_0936.jpg

That is so purdy!

Make sure that your heatsink is even when you place it on the core. I know a lot of heatsinks have problems sitting correctly and need to me modded. The best way to see this is by looking at the pattern of the TIM and yes some people have had sifnificant improvements from this not that I have removed one myself though I am tempted!