DFI Expert CPU temp sensor reporting incorrectly?

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not simply too low. I just did a Prime95 mixed torture test for 2 hours and my processor only hit 36 degrees C. That in itself is semi-believable, but when I stopped Prime95 it went down to 26 degrees almost immediately. (Within five seconds) It's now sitting at 24 degrees. The temperature in this room is 22, and the System sensor says 34.

Something is very wrong. An odd trait for what is supposed to be an overclocker's board.

When I got this motherboard I was a little skeptical about the temperature readings so I put a temperature probe on the edge of the CPU where it touches the heat sink, and graphed the readings and those from Everest and bios.

Hi everyone,

First post - I must say that this forum is totally awesome for a noob like me.

I am getting ready to do my first build using the gear in my sig (once my opty 148 gets here) and I have been lurking around for a few weeks here, hardforum and xs to find out all the info that I can.

I am interested in the temperature variance that has been reported in the thread here and I need advice with respect to properly monitoring the CPU temp. I see that SpeedFREAK mounted the temperature probe on the edge of the CPU where it touches the heatsink but it seems to me that the distance from the core may cause lower reported temps. I am not sure if this is true so please correct me if I am wrong.

I came across an interesting link when checking out the nf4 build sticky http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=49 - it shows assembly instructions based on a DDR333 nForce2 motherboard using an Athlon XP 2600+ (socket A) processor. The thing that stuck in my head was the instructions included how to mount a thermal sensor on the bottom of the processor (see http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_install_processor.shtml ). It seems to me that procedure would correctly provide actual core CPU temp.

Since I have also purchased a Thermaltake Hardcano 12 temp sensor / fan speed controller (see http://www.thermaltake.com/accessories/hardcano/a1845.htm ),

my question is can I mount one of the temp sensors from the Harcano under an Operton 148 processor on an Expert mobo - similar to the directions in the first link? If possible, and it won't cause me any problems, I would like to do this. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Since I am totally new to overclocking and building rigs, please excuse any errors in my reasoning.

939 does not have room underneath. You can not do that.

I strip my probe (remove the plastic protector on metal contacts) and lay it on the side of my IHS (the little vertical edge) on top of a piece of double sided thermal tape, then cover it up with another piece. Temp readout is dead on with my other mobo (nF4 Ultra-D).

939 does not have room underneath. You can not do that.

I strip my probe (remove the plastic protector on metal contacts) and lay it on the side of my IHS (the little vertical edge) on top of a piece of double sided thermal tape, then cover it up with another piece. Temp readout is dead on with my other mobo (nF4 Ultra-D).

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to use your method for mounting the temp sensor. I assume that stripping the plastic off alows the sensor to correctly report temps and that there is no interference with the CPU function from the stripped wire. Does it matter which side of the IHS you attach the sensor to?

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to use your method for mounting the temp sensor. I assume that stripping the plastic off alows the sensor to correctly report temps and that there is no interference with the CPU function from the stripped wire. Does it matter which side of the IHS you attach the sensor to?

You can say that. It also makes the probe narrower so the edge of that plastic cover will not stand higher than the top of your IHS.

I always stick it to the lower right side of the IHS (AMD logo up). It's been always giving me the right temp. Make sure that you stick it on the side so it won't accidentally get stuck between your heatsink and IHS.

@applejuice: Well, that's the typical behaviour when it's reading the internal sensor. Mine drops immediately to 15-16°C, from 20-21°C. I'm using C&Q, so that's just normal.

But the temperature itself? I'd say if you add 10-11°C, you should be quite close to a "real" temperature.