2x512MB any ram = Crash, looking for 1x1Gb now.

You might be having issues with that CPU, being that it's a 100MHz/200DDR part?

And also with the RAM you have which is 200MHz/400DDR rated.

Are you using a RAM divider with that setup?

Also, what slots are you using the 2 sticks in?

We may be able to get you config'd better and with a smoother running rig.

Can you give the exact model/part numbers of the Kingston sticks you have, or

as much info about the sticks as possible.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, and thanks for the respons!

I´m no expert in this,so if I give the wrong info please correct me

First: ram divider?

the slots in use are 1 and 2

the memory info is as follows:

512MB PC3200 CL3 184 - Pin DIMM

and have also the following markings:

KVR400x64C3A/512

I hope this helps, I have been pondering a buy of a new CPU, what do you recommend I go for to minimize the amount of problems, I will not hold you responsible for the advice :)

try with only one stick. i dont think the duron is the problem cause i played with a duron 700 a while back to see what it would do (1.4Ghz maxed). any way, try with a single stick of ram and see what that gives you.

and for a cpu, any athlonXP execpt for the 3200+ ;)

• 2 weeks later...

i had giel value ram...........when i went to ocz my performance increased dramatically. i have my timings at 2-2-2-5. i had my fsb set to 200 and my system was stable. with the cold and the heat on i turned my fsb down but my temps were still around 40 c. i have found that cheap ram will cause many problems in pc's. my father has the lanparty nf2 with i gig of giel value ram. he has a 256 meg video card and a athlon 3200. fsb at 200 and his benchmarks lower than my pc. the only main difference is that crappy ram.

Same kind of problems here.

Yesterday had a rather seriouc crash, if anyone can give me advice I appreciate it, cause it almost also took my raid array.

I recently got OCZ pc3200 Extreme Voltage memory after reading it could "also" perform well on NF2 based boards. I have been having weird problems ever since.

Before this, I had pc3200 kingston value ram, and cpu was able to run stable at 200x12 @ 1.775v, 8-3-3-3-2.5 2t. No freezes, reboots or crashes.

(bios use then: Hell fire rev 2 and 3, hot & cold boot problems with OCZ mem @ 200+ fsb)

Installed the OCZ memory, and set it to advice timings 200fsb @ 3.2v 6-2-2-2-2-1t,

for safety multiplier x11, 2200Mhz. No problems, until starting to overclock.

2400Mhz with higher then 200fsb(e.a. 220) required* much higher core voltage then normal. Timings were set 200fsb + 11-3-3-3-2.5 @3.2v, 1t gives issues, 2t not. 2400Mhz required 1.875 to run stable at 200+ fsb, chipset @ 1.7v.

When overclocking I encountered many random system freezes, some BSODs, but no reboots.

Thought I had it stable at one moment at: 233fsb x 10.5 @ 1.875 core, 11-4-4-4-3-2t @3.2v. Worked 3 days without issues, then random freezes started again.

Situation when freezes occure, e.a.: after succesfull prime of several hours, stopped priming, left system alone for 10 min. came back and clicked the mouse in browser. System Froze. Happend countless times.

Flashed Hellfire TT bios. Still weird problems and random freezes(see example) at 2400Mhz, no matter what fsb setting I set, or which timings I set. CPU temp are max 43C load.

Set cpu back to 220x 10.5 - 2310Mhz @ 1.775v, 11-3-3-3-2.5-2t @ 3.2v. Chipset @ 1.7v. Prime stable in cpu stress test for 5 hours, same time for memory. All is prime stable, memtest also is ok.

After priming for 5 hours, I took a brake, came back moved the mous, bang system freeze. Same for gaming for several hour, do nothing for 30 min or so, do some browsing oid. then it suddenly freezes (or not).

Before, a reboot + one hot reboot black screen, hit reset button to make system start again, solved some problems.

Can anyone make head or tail out of this? I can no longer and I am getting really really tired of this. It my Infinity borkek, or is it just a compatibility problem between OCZ mem and mobo? Or is it the cpu?

I have run out of explinations/solutions for my problem.

Is this the ram you have?

If it is..... it doesn't look like they suggest it for NF2's. Of course maybe that's because a lot of NF2's can't give the 3.2 volts it wants.

OCZ VX series is not recomended for use on legacy nForce 2 platforms.

Installed the OCZ memory, and set it to advice timings 200fsb @ 3.2v 6-2-2-2-2-1t,

for safety multiplier x11, 2200Mhz. No problems, until starting to overclock.

2400Mhz with higher then 200fsb(e.a. 220) required* much higher core voltage then normal. Timings were set 200fsb + 11-3-3-3-2.5 @3.2v, 1t gives issues, 2t not. 2400Mhz required 1.875 to run stable at 200+ fsb, chipset @ 1.7v.

I've been having some similar problems with my PQI. I think I've got it figured out now, though.

I think my board just hates anything but cas 2.0. Well at least with dual channel and CPC on.

I was trying to run 8-3-3-3-2.5 DC CPC on and I kept getting prime errors at anything over 190 FSB. But by changing it to single channel or by turning CPC off I could get it to work fine at 200 FSB.

Then I went to 11-2-2-2-2 (it specs at 5-2-2-2) with DC and CPC on. It's good to 220 like that. And so far I've gotten it up to 240 at 11-3-3-3-2.

So anyway..... I'd suggest sticking with cas 2 as you try to overclock.

Hi Gkirmathal, welcome to the Street. If the ram you are running is OCZ3200VX then you will have problems at Cas2.5. This ram is brilliant stuff but it is very picky about how it will run. The first thing is that on an NF2 it will only run at Cas2 and only at the vdimm that OCZ recommend(3.2v). Second thing is you must have cooling over your ram, it will get very hot unless you do and heat=errors or even worse kill your ram. Have you run Memtest to see if the ram is ok at the recommended timings 11-2-2-2-2 1t? If it is ok, then the only way you will get higher than 200fsb is to up your vdimm to 3.3v. I don't know how high you can get your fsb, but my guess would be 230 to 235 at 11-2-2-2-2 1t. Your system being frozen is a classic sign of not enough vdimm, so as i said over 200fsb up it to 3.3v.

Thanks for the help King and kitfit.

I managed to get my raid array working agian, weird though, normally I could run it with onboard sata disabled, but if I now disable sata in bios the bootrecord is not found and system well loop reset. So enabled it.

Flashed Hellfire TT bios back and did a fresh XP install with the APIC/HAL setting as discribed in the sticky.

Installed on 11-2-2-2-2-1t @ 3.2v, 200x11 @1.6v. Had no hangups, no weird stuff.

Clocked now to 220x10 @ 1.6v, 11-3-3-3-2-1t @ 3.2v. Primed it shortly (2x30 min) mem and blend. No instability hangups in boths short tests.

Tomorrow after wotk I`ll see if I can get the mem to 233fsb, previously it would only run n 11-4-4-4-3-2t timings. Seeing as it runs now on 1t at 220fsb, I have better hopes.

Other question, maybe sounds noobisch, but if a cpu can run 2400Mhz (12x200)@1.75v, then it should be able to run the same Mhz at the same core voltage but on a higher fsb right?

I had troubles getting my xp2500m to 2400/2500mhz using the voltage I used when still running 200fsb on old kingston modules.

Other question, maybe sounds noobisch, but if a cpu can run 2400Mhz (12x200)@1.75v, then it should be able to run the same Mhz at the same core voltage but on a higher fsb right?

I had troubles getting my xp2500m to 2400/2500mhz using the voltage I used when still running 200fsb on old kingston modules.

I've always found that the more fsb you run the more you have to up the vcore. Thats even more so when you get to very high fsb.

Been looking into how fast I can go. And I jave run into a wall

Currently only 2305Mhz (230x10.5 @ 1.7v, 11-3-3-3-2-1t @3.2) is stable in prime.

2400Mhz and 2500Mhz are bootable and desktop stable, only not prime stable. Games also won`t run. CPU interface was set to agressive.

C-voltages tested:

230x11 @ 1.75 > 1.85

230x11.5 @ 1.8 > 1.875

Could this indicate that the core just won`t run at those speeds, at it`s max is arround 2300Mhz, or am I overlooking something?

Update:

When switched cpu interface to optimal, prime would not give a error one minute into the cpu stress test run. Prime is still not stable, 4 minuts before I get an error.

I don't think it's your cpu. At 230fsb is probably the max your ram will do at 3.2vdimm, as i posted before up the vdimm to 3.3v and you will get some more out of it(but make sure you've got a fan over your ram).