3200+ venice overclocking result (POST YOURS!!)

ericware

Here is da best that i can achieve

venice4yf.th.jpg

Actually my venice can hit 2.860Ghz @ 1.65vcore but da ram timing is not allowed to run 259Mhz since i wanna keep my timing low so i still keep @ 2.8Ghz

Still i'm lookin any rooms for my venice on air .. any suggestion and posting your result would be appreciated .. thankz

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't get windows to boot if I go over 2.5 ghz, and I had to push the voltage all the way up to 1.7. This is far from recommended I realize. You lucked out on your chip little buddy. looks like i got a dud. As long as it goes to 2.4 I think i could live with it...I keep pushing my volts higher and higher. I just installed the heat sink on it 3 days ago, hopefully when the AS5 cures, miraculously my clocks will jump up... riggghhhhhttt.

Well, anything over 1.45v and you're cutting the life of the chip short. 1.6v is too much.

Who wants their Cpu to last 5 years anyway. I will prob. get a new one next year lol... Thank you for the info though. :tooth:

i can get mine to 2.5 ghz (250 x 10) with 1.45V on a 3200+ venice

ram is 2.5-3-3-8, 3V to oc it well tho but OCZ has good ram and can take it

I am taking a guess that your platinum edition RAM is TCCD or TCC5. In either case, I would not volt it so high. TCCD seems to like 2.8 or 2.9, but that is it. There are many posts on this on these forums. Another angle to consider is that there are many people posting higher OC than you with less volts on the RAM (although maybe not as many sticks.) Keep in mind that with the A64 CPU MHZ is King, perhaps loosen those timings or put on a divider and get some more MHZ out of that Vennie.

I would agree, on some level if you are an overclocker, you are alraedy living on the edge am I right... so at what point does the idea of playing it safe come into the equation. If the thought of shoving copious amounts of voltage through your chip doesn't appeal, maybe a dell would be more to your taste... There is an inherent risk to this stuff, regardless of the danger philosophically the mindset of the o/c'er is like a speed junkie, if i can go this fast with this fast with this many volts... how much faster could i got if i only upped the volts a little.... and so on.

I would agree, on some level if you are an overclocker, you are alraedy living on the edge am I right... so at what point does the idea of playing it safe come into the equation. If the thought of shoving copious amounts of voltage through your chip doesn't appeal, maybe a dell would be more to your taste... There is an inherent risk to this stuff, regardless of the danger philosophically the mindset of the o/c'er is like a speed junkie, if i can go this fast with this fast with this many volts... how much faster could i got if i only upped the volts a little.... and so on.

The point of my arguments in this thread was that, especially with a Venice, there is a point where you are getting diminishing returns on the risk vs. reward scale. People have seen their Vennies crap out after 6 months on 1.6+ volts. Other people are getting 400mhz Overclocks with Z E R O increase in their voltages. My argument is that if you need to go 1.55 or 1.6 volts to hit 2.7ghz, but only 1.45 or 1.5 to hit 2.6ghz then why play russian roulette with you A64?

How many OC'ers are on this forum do you know of that are just pushing their systems to the limit with complete disregard for the viability of their system? Why does the OC database require 8hours of Prime Stable for entry? Answer: Not very many and the only OC that matters is one that is stable. Overvolting is a risk that I only need to take in order to go above a 30% OC. In order to go that much higher I have to put as much as 0.1 more volts into my CPU to get that last 100mhz. I submit that that 100mhz is costing me a lot more than the first 600. Some of you are willing to risk it, I don't think the performance increase that 100mhz gives is worth the risk, but that is just my opinion.