3200+ venice overclocking result (POST YOURS!!)

ericware

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be leary of putting that many volts through a Venice. Anything over 1.6 even on water is running the risk of over volting the CPU. See the link in my sig that was written by Drac and the damage this type of volting can cause over time.

2.8ghz is a really good OC for a 3200, but have you run 8 hours of Prime to see if it is stable? Also, what are you running that RAM at? Corsair seems to do rather poorly on DFI boards. I am curious if you have it on a Divider or with really loose timings.

According to your link at your sig "I would strongly urge you to not go above 1.55 total volts with your X2 Toledo though, 1.5v for San Diegos, 1.6v for ClawHammers, 1.65v for Winchesters and 1.7v for Venice cores. Hope this was helpful" .. that's what drac said .. 1.7v for VENICE and mine 1.5 * 110% = 1.650 .. well it closes enough to 1.7 but still hasn't reached 1.7 .. thankz for your suggestion

And for my Ram is runnin at 233Mhz as you can see at the picture above with divider 5:6 .. yes i ran prime for 24 hours .. started around 7am before i took a bath on and finished around 7am the following day

Actually i'm just curious while seeing some people can reach 2.9Ghz but i can not .. some more they just put a lil vcore since i have to pump my vcore up to 1.5 * 110%

Well, anything over 1.45v and you're cutting the life of the chip short. 1.6v is too much.

My point exactly.

There is going to be debate on this, especially in an overclocking forum, but most people who you see with an extreme OC, are putting huge volts into their CPU. Now yes, with advanced cooling you can get such an OC to be Prime stable. However, you are risking the life expectancy of your chip.

My personal opinion is that the best overclock is one that boosts performance for an acceptable level of risk and/ or reduction in the lifespan of my chip. My goal is have my chip last me for 3 years. So I stay under 1.5v because of that parameter. Now maybe you don't care if your CPU only lasts 12 months or 6 months (there are a lot of Venice users who were at 2.7ghz on high volts and then were not longer stable after about 3-6 months and had to drop to 2.4ghz, look for the threads using search) and are willing to buy a new Vennie in 6 months. Then more power to you.

However, based on your post I thought it might be worthwhile to point out the issues that overvolting can (and will) cause.

Overvolting issues - keeps a man guessing. (Thanks for that link BTW, it should be stickied imo)

Anyway, my 3200+ does 2.67Ghz stable at 1.667v, if I drop that back to 1.65v it's not going to run prime or anything else. I did do 2.7-2.8Ghz but that needed 1.7v and more and that's just too much for me.

2.8 at 1.65v is a major good OC if you ask me, you have to be lucky with your chip too I guess. Don't let them spoil your party here.

That makes absolutely no sense to me. It's like you set a goal to have your CPU run at least 2700mhz, no matter what volts it needs. That's just stupid. If it can't run 2700mhz on less than 1.55v, it's a bad chip, just get another one.

That makes absolutely no sense to me. It's like you set a goal to have your CPU run at least 2700mhz, no matter what volts it needs. That's just stupid. If it can't run 2700mhz on less than 1.55v, it's a bad chip, just get another one.

Was that in reply to me?

I didnt set a goal, I just went up to 1.6-1.65 like been told to in the OC guide and noticed that above ~2.65 it needed drastically more voltage. So I dropped it back, not sure what you are getting at.

2700Mhz on 1.55? lmao is that a standard nowadays?

p.s. this thread is not for you ranting over volts.