[Resolved] NF3 250Gb & GeForce 6800 = BSoDs

I unplugged all DVDs, floppy, sata hd, and pulled out one DRAM chip. The only problem I have is that I can't reboot my rig...it just hangs. Played COD2 demo several times without problems. Loaded Battlefield 2 demo, played for a while then it crashed and hung my rig. :(

Played COD2 demo again and it crashed - briefly saw a blue screen no information on it though - then my rig became hung. :( I realized that when XP is installed the "preferences" are set such that when a crash occurs the OS will automatically reboot itself. This is why my rig froze after both games crashed.

Chose to send the error report to Microsoft, the Online Crash Analysis said that a device driver caused the problem but the Online Analysis could not determine which driver caused the problem.

I need to pick this up in the morning...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biffsteele, have you tried different Chipset drivers? I use these:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1042

These are the 6.53 Unofficial (Remix) Chipset Drivers. DeathEvil from Guru3d.com put these together, as a best all-around drivers package.

Here's the thread about them here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=...&highlight=6.53 They are faster than the 5.10 Officials, and far more stable (for my system) than the 6.37 WHQL Beta's.

Give them a try.

Once again, same rules apply for uninstalling drivers. First from add/remove programs, than on to driver cleaner. Good luck. :)

P.S. : Don't bother with the 5.11 Official Chipset drivers if you're having instability with the 5.10 Officials, all nVidia updated in the 5.11's were the LAN drivers.

cmay119, while reading your suggestion about nVidia drivers and the remix version that made me think about reinstalling the latest version of the ATI drivers, so this is what I did, also used Driver Cleaner. I then installed Call of Duty and loaded the latest patch. I made through the "first level" - eight scenarios - without suffering a BSoD :)

I must admit that right now I'm a little hesitant installing drivers until I get my rig stabilized.

learners permit, I just installed a fresh copy of Windoze yesterday but I will run memtest when I get a chance.

Thanks for the suggestions!

OK, it seems that the BSoDs have gone away whilst playing games; I do get a few whilst playing COD2 and Battelfield 2 demos, but who cares.

Since switching to the X800 GTO I have a new problem :eek: and that is my rig does not reboot, it hangs...no screen, no post, no beeps...no exit, no escape. I have to power it off, unplug the power cord, wait five minutes then boot up. What a pain in the ASCII file!

When I put the 9800 Pro card in I don't above the above mentioned problem. So, I'm coming to the conclusion now that my PSU may not be sufficient for my rig. The X800 must really suck the watts down.

Any one have any thoughts on the validity of the insufficient PSU hypothesis?

Guest shaolin95

I am having only 1 issue with my card. I can playing any game like COD2, FEAR, Quake 4, Doom3 you name it. I can loop 3dmark2003,2005 without issues but while I can run 3dmark2001 ok if I try to loop a custom loop that I created when I come back to my pc my screen looks all weird (garbage). What could be happening...could it be related to the NVIDIA ide or is it completely different from the BSOD?

What could be happening...could it be related to the NVIDIA ide or is it completely different from the BSOD?

Hmm, nVidia IDE...did not think of that. I've seen other posts where ppl have said that when they updated the IDE driver they had problems. I will roll the IDE driver back to 5.08 or whatever version comes on the CD. :)

To clarify, the BSoDs I got earlier with the X800 card were with the demo versions of COD2 and Battlefield 2. I'm not really concerned about BSoDs in the demo games.