[Resolved] NF3 250Gb & GeForce 6800 = BSoDs

Guest shaolin95

And what are your clock speeds? My idles are lower than yours so I am hoping that I can match your OC, thats why I am asking even though I know cards are not identical. BTW, mine has a NV silencer 5 cooler.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BiffSteel - you've used uninstalled drivers, used Driver Cleaner and reinstalled now, right? Try disabling as many non-critical background services as you can from Task Manager also, sometimes there can be local heat pockets causing problems even with fans on high speed/cases open - can you get some cooling on the 6800? PSUs are often hyped (too much sometimes imho) but I think yours is OK - got 25A+ on the 12v rail? These graphics cards can suck the power! Again, probably obvious but the fact that the BSOD kicks in after a set (?same) period may suggest heat, drivers/conflicting software (amongst 1000 other things ;) ).

Samoa - I don't care much for 3DMark either but I always use 3DMark03 when testing OCs as I have found that my proccy OC'd to some nice speeds which were Prime 95, etc stable, temperature was nowhere near a problem then it BSOD'd me on games. Went to 3DMark03 got BSOD (usually on PSU test part of it). Pulled back on my OC a little and it was fine for everything. 3dMark01 was always OK.

I observed that 3DMark03 was necessary for stability testing when using both the Asrock K8Upgrade nF3 and my current mobo.

This is what you should DO if you just bought your parts since it is an issue that is over a year old and when you got it YOU GOT IT for sure without real cure. I been there done it and got three T-shirts from being there. I think I will return the video card and try another manufacturer. Amen...

RGone...

Soundgarden,

I turned off fastwrites, all seemed well - was able to make it through COD2 demo a few times. Played Battlefield 2, got through farther then I had in the past, then BSoD. Going back to COD2, now getting BSoDs. I think I will return the video card and try another manufacturer.

BiffSteel - you've used uninstalled drivers, used Driver Cleaner and reinstalled now, right? Try disabling as many non-critical background services as you can from Task Manager also, sometimes there can be local heat pockets causing problems even with fans on high speed/cases open - can you get some cooling on the 6800? PSUs are often hyped (too much sometimes imho) but I think yours is OK - got 25A+ on the 12v rail? These graphics cards can suck the power! Again, probably obvious but the fact that the BSOD kicks in after a set (?same) period may suggest heat, drivers/conflicting software (amongst 1000 other things ;) ).

muckipup - yep, been down the disabling services path - no difference. The 12v rail runs at 26A. In my quest to resurrect the PATA 100 drive (it no longer boots even in safe mode), I've found on Microsoft's web site that the BSoD message "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" represents a driver problem of some kind. Microsoft mentions that if you want to know what is causing the problem you need to download their (kernel ?) debugger from their website. That's great but I don't have the time nor the patience to do this. I've ordered a Leadtek 6800 card and hope I have better luck with it. Thanks very much for the suggestions!

muckipup - yep, been down the disabling services path - no difference. The 12v rail runs at 26A. In my quest to resurrect the PATA 100 drive (it no longer boots even in safe mode), I've found on Microsoft's web site that the BSoD message "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" represents a driver problem of some kind. Microsoft mentions that if you want to know what is causing the problem you need to download their (kernel ?) debugger from their website. That's great but I don't have the time nor the patience to do this. I've ordered a Leadtek 6800 card and hope I have better luck with it. Thanks very much for the suggestions!

Guest shaolin95

Well, just to update my performance. With the old Nvidia chipset drivers (came with my DFI) and the 77.77 my 6800GT was working almost perfect but I had those sudden hiccups moments where the image will pause for 1 to 3 secs and keep going. Yesterday I updated to the latest 5.11 chipset drivers and official 81.85 geforce driver and now there is not a single stutter much less BSOD (never got it before but did a few times with my old 6600GT but just 1 every 3 months or so :-) ). I used Driver Cleaner Pro to make sure I uninstalled everything. I even got better benchies now! My point is, if it works with my NF3 board then it shouldnt be a hardware problem OR Nvidia did fix some things with the latest drivers as has been commented by some users.

Regards

I ordered then installed a Leadtek A400 6800 video card, experienced same problems as the eVGA card (BSoDs). Sent that back and ordered a Sapphire X800 GTO 256 MB; ran Driver Cleaner prior to install. Installed it and that's when the fun really began.

- Booted up, went into BIOS to verify settings - changed aperture setting to 256 MB, saved and rebooted. Nothing happened, no POST, no screen. Looked at hard drive indicator light on case, it was pegged solid. Shut down, waited 30-60 seconds, then booted. Same as before, no POST, no screen, hd light pegged solid. Pulled out battery, waited several minutes, put battery back in, was able to POST and log into XP Pro. Installed ATI driver with no problem, rebooted, rig would not boot - no screen, no POST. Would pull battery, wait then reboot. Pulled rig's power cord off of the power strip and plugged directly into wall socket, no difference.

- Installed a fresh copy of XP, with the X800 GTO in the AGP slot, XP came up and installed ATI drivers. Rebooted, no POST, pulled out power cord from PSU and turned off power switch on PSU. Waited five minutes then rebooted. XP took about five to ten minutes to load, then eventually XP froze, had to power off. Then had to reload XP.

- Cleared CMOS per RGone's instructions, waited about 30 minutes then put jumpers back on pins 1-2; X800 card installed. Booted into XP, updated chipset drivers to latest, rebooted, no POST hd light pegged solid. Waited 5 minutes, rebooted, went into BIOS, made sure aperture was at 256 MB and AGP speed was set to 8x. Rebooted, no POST hd light solid.

- Upgraded BIOS to 6/23/2005; X800 card installed. This has made no difference, still experience no screen, no POST and pegged hd, etc light after all reboots. Disconnected all DVDs, second hd, same problems after reboot. Reinstall 9800 Pro card, no problems.

In all cases, when i reinstall the 9800 Pro card back into AGP slot, and have the correct driver installed, I no longer have any problems.

Questions:

- Has any one experienced this before? I've seen other ppls sigs and some are running nf3 250gbs with X800 cards; noticed that Angry_Games has an X800 Pro in his nf3 250gb rig; others are running 6800 GT cards.

- Could this be a PSU issue? Currently have an OCZ Modstream 450 W PSU. +12v rail provides 26A. I don't have a higher rated PSU available.

- Do I need to appease the deities by performing some sort of ritual?

:confused:

- Could this be a PSU issue? Currently have an OCZ Modstream 450 W PSU. +12v rail provides 26A. I don't have a higher rated PSU available.

Hey Biff! This is the first thing I would try - partly because the symptoms kinda hint towards that and second, because I really have no idea what else it could be!! 26A would have been enough I would have thought but maybe you've got some power hungry peripherals going on too?? Have you tried unplugging all unnecessary CD drives, etc just to test. Long-shot but easy to do.

- Do I need to appease the deities by performing some sort of ritual?

:confused:

Yeah, for want of any better ideas, that would be second on my 'to do' list! lol :P

Oh, one more thing maybe break the whole system down to basics including 1 stick RAM, 1 HD etc. I am 'fishing' a bit here just that non-POST hassles make me think PSU, mobo, RAM, HDs, CPU (with the last 1 or 2 being knocked off if other hardware boots OK) but maybe some else has more direct experience of this.

From earlier "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" NVs IDE drivers did that to me - they were the PC equivalent of opening the gates to hell in my case. I am back with XP's and happier for it!