At wits-end with OCZ/Mobo and Nvida!

Man alive!

Do you know how many times I've been to that page and not noticed the NForce drivers!! Far too many! I'll do that tonight!

With repsect to the memory - as long as the concensus is that the board can quite happily use the plats (which is DDR600) I'll go with it. My concern was that the literature for the mobo only rated DDR400 and that OCZ plat was not listed in the suggested memory for overclocking.

I want to persist I really do!

Stu

Don't worry about the speed ratings. DDR600 should have no trouble only running DDR400.

OCZ is a very popular memory vendor with DFI owners. This is a much better list of recommended memory.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24719

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I new things must be bad as RyderOCZ had sent me an RMA slip, so last night I had an hour to sort the computer out..... new bathrooms, grouting, a new baby and a severly stressed wife do not make for an evening "playing" on the computer! So I was pretty rushed....

Any way for brevity I did the following:

1. Check out the stop codes for 0x0000050; these all tended to suggest driver incompatibilty somewhere. Looked in PC no clashes. However looking at the system devices I noticed that the Ethernet controller and gone into into one of those yellow question mark icons! Not good!

2. I'd previously asked about updating mobo drivers and downloaded the AMD Nforce drivers from NVidia. Installed them and activated the marvell gigabyte controller... Oops I now got three connections somehow [i'll figure that one out later!] No yellow icon though!

3. Went back to Spartacus' mail and noted his settings and in rebooting changed bios settings to his. *gulp* I know I shouldn't just have blindy done that - but I was runnign out of time!

4. Rebooted and instead of gong direct to game ran some diagnostics:

Aqumark: GFX 10, 143

CPU 12, 317

--------------------

TOT 71, 852

Everest: Mem Read: 6676

Mem Write: 2298

Latency: 43.1

3DMark: 12654

Ok - I have yet to relate these to anyone elses; the things is they all ran to completion

break while I tile & grout bathroom, eat meal etc!

5: Refreshed after the nagging from my wife (sorry dinner conversation) who wondered if I should have married the PC I started to play DawnOfWar the bane of my life.... well I managed an hour before I was too tired... this was more than I had managed in the previous month so I was well happy!

*went to bed*

6: Posted results here.

7: Awaiting thoughts on how I can refine the settings for my set up. There were far too many setting changes for me to comprehend the total implications.

The most obvisous thing is that I don't really want to pump 3.0V through the memory unless I have to. I have it on good authority (i.e. RyderOCZ) that this should not be necessary and they have never had to pump that much through.

Anyone any comments...... See there is light at the end of the tunnel! (Though I have a feeling I might not quite be there ... yet!)

Thanks to you all!

Stu

(PS - to be fair the wife was fine about it - it was just guilt on my part :) )

If I understand correctly, OCZ is offering to swap the memory - and you have some tiling and grouting to do? If so, I'd say if you see a HINT of any further problems - without going to 3.0v - RMA it. Actually even if you don't see problems but don't get the chance to test much due to grouting, RMA it. RMA it while you have their attention and they're offering, don't delay more than a couple days on that if you can get a memory swap.

If you get the memory swap and go back with same settings and see same behavior, well you eliminated the memory as a problem anyway, right? And I'm sure OCZ can test that memory with some fairly exhastive test to see if it's not in spec or something.

Hi Hepath,

Great post :) :shake: . Struck a chord . Not got the baby but Kitchen is currently being upgraded so wife's a bit stressed. :rolleyes:

1) Think i'm with Lance re memory RMA

2) 3rd connection is probably your 1394 fireware which shows as a newtwork connection.

4) Aquamark 3

Gfx 10143 v 8061

CPU 12317 v11947

Sum 71852 v 60272

Sandy 4000 v win 3500

gfx 6800 v 6600gt

Everest: Mem Read: 6676 v 6783

Mem Write: 2298 v 2924

Latency: 43.1 v 39.9

( had a little longer to tune mine :rolleyes: )

3dMark N/A

5)

(sorry dinner conversation) who wondered if I should have married the PC
- Priceless I have my pc in the lounge to enable
nagging from my wife
:):rolleyes:

Glad you feel your progressing

.. someone's looking over my shoulder :confused: She's very undertstanding toooo.... :D

I understand about the RMA and its something I torn over.... luckily time zones mean that it takes a day for Eric from OCZ to respond. I've been emailing privately and sent him what's happened and asked for feedback; so hopefully I've not burnt my bridges as to that regard.

I understand about the RMA and its something I torn over.... luckily time zones mean that it takes a day for Eric from OCZ to respond. I've been emailing privately and sent him what's happened and asked for feedback; so hopefully I've not burnt my bridges as to that regard.

OCZ seems to be really good about that kind of thing, so I would not worry about it. I actually will go against the others, I would say keep at it until you KNOW it is a hardware problem. I think people are too quick to RMA parts, which causes prices to go up as the companies push the costs back into the price to recoup them. Not to mention you are then without your memory and probably have to pay for shipping it to them.

Yes Boppo your right

I think people are too quick to RMA parts

It is an individual thing though dependent on the individuals ability to further tweak/trobleshoot and/or their energy level.

Not to mention you are then without your memory and probably have to pay for shipping it to them.
is always the thing that drives me on :nod:

Oh well

First the good news: It seems pretty stable when I can get into the system! (oops that was the bad news too!)

Yup....I have a wierd problem and its hard to describe; but I'll try.

From cold boot (e.g overnight) I turn the machine on and wait.... I hear the beep, and nothing! ... but wait I can hear the disks "chunting" and wow windows just booted ... but no video signal.

Rather than just turn off and on, i press windows key then U, then U to initiate a keyboard restart, Windows happily closes down then the computer restarts and *bamm* I have video.

If I just reset the PC then nothing - I just go round in a balnk screen cycle..

Now - I've just scanned the forums and archives and people have had this issue.. but the posts I read have notreally run to a conclusion; they're either dead or just fizzled out... In my small head it seems to be PSU.... So my question is whether the BIOS settings will allow me to divert *a little* more juice though to the gfx card in order to test this!

Currently settings are (assumign I not detaling the wrong settings):

CPU VID Control 1.475

CPU VID Special Control 110%

RGones guide says SanDiego chips need at least 1.54V through them - so I might try that too.

Anyone any ideas... I'd prefer to keep it in this thread rather than start a new one!

[PS: if no responses I'll (reluctantly) start a new thread]

• 4 weeks later...
1 problem is that TCCD memory does not particularly like the new San Diego or Venice cores.

Psht.. I have a venice core and my corsair TCCD loves it.. the hottest system I've had ever!!

Its B.S. to say that its not 'particularly liked' when so many ppl must be using it succesfully, now I'm not having a go at bose301s but ppl gotta realise it takes time to work out what works best for your config.

I may have been of a different opinion had I not got my system running stable.

But it did take me 3 months to get my system to a point where I like it... I thought my Tagan 480-U01 wasnt up to the job as it has a single (and known to be weak) 12v rail.. but heck I'm now at 9x275!