Is DFI Worth It? (Overclocker switching to A64)

the price of the 520w ocz & hiper type r are the same so its not a price thing.

i know i chose hiper over the ocz becuase its the better performing psu, if you was comparing the ocz 600w then thats different as its dual rail psu with more A than the 520w but i will leave you to buy what you wish.

end of the day, the ocz will run out of juice before mine will so im happy :nod:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm mainly looking at the SLI Infinity (not SLI-DR) because of price concerns. All the reviews I've read, have good things to say about these boards, but as soon as I look at forums, all I see are problems.

I'm an avid overclocker, and put lots of importance on overclockability of pieces of hardware - but I'm seriously considering not bothering with it because of all the problems with these DFI boards.

How many of you have had good experiences with these boards? (Specifically the SLI Infinity).

Here's the proposed setup:

DFI NF4 SLI Infinity

Antec 400W Smart Power 2.0 (from Antex TX640B)

I rather go for Enermax 600 watt rock stable

OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Platinum Revision 2

GeilOneS 512 x 2 TCCD

Athlon 64 3200+ (90nm Venice)

BFG 7800GT OC or XFX 7800GT (single card for now)

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB and Seagate 7200.7 160GB (Both SATA - no RAID)

Zalman CNPS 7000A/B

Really heavy beast, try Thermalright XP90C

From your experience, will this work? Any input?

Thanks,

|||synthtax|||

Just my 1 cent worth from the Far East :)

i know i chose hiper over the ocz becuase its the better performing psu

Actually, as you've already been told, the OCZ 520w is a better performer as well.

end of the day, the ocz will run out of juice before mine will so im happy :nod:

Not likely...

is it worth it?

OMG yes ! YES YES !!! sorry, it exited me abit too much there. :shake:

By far, the best OC motherboard ever created. I am not sure what "issues" people are having. Mine worked absolutly perfect first try. I have been perousing this forum for a few weeks now, and I am not aware of any widespread problems. Only happy campers.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I've pretty much decided that I am going to go with DFI, the SLI Infinity (because of $$ constraints). Unless anyone here can give me good reason to go with the LP.

I'm gonna throw caution to the wind and see if my Antec 400W PSU will handle my new DFI setup, if so, I won't push it, I'll wait to overclock until I get the OCZ PS 520W, which I have also decided to get. If the Antec isn't up to the challenge, I'll get the OCZ right away.

My final question, which hasn't been answered yet, is if there are any difference revisions of the board I should know about (a la Abit NF7-S v1.0/1.1/2.0).

Thanks again everyone.

|||synthtax|||

Actually, as you've already been told, the OCZ 520w is a better performer as well.

Not likely...

told by who? bob marley or elvis himself?

just because some says so doesnt mean it is, thats a case of the old "my uncles brothers wifes sister told me so it is!"

if you think the hiper would run out of juice before the ocz then i honestly think you shouldnt be aroud a pc.

do some homework, follow the facts and bite the bullet to accept just because you buy a certain brand, it doesnt mean it will perform better than a cheaper brand, jeez :rolleyes:

Also, if I'm going to have to spend extra $$ on a new PSU, then there's NO WAY I can afford the Lanpary SLI-DR. The LP SLI-DR doesn't have any features that the Infinity lacks that I really want, at least I don't think so.

As long as they are comparatively stable and OCable, I don't need the uv reactive extras, extra LAN, extra audio connectors or extra SATA.

Does the LP have any critical OC features that the Infinity doesn't?

Thanks,

|||synthtax|||

Personally If you want to save money go with the Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra D. It can be modded to SLI so easy with just a little conductive paint no soldering required. It has more adjustments and voltage tweaks from what I understand. I do use my Ultra D in sig to SLI from time to time on benches. Just pull another 6800GT from my other rig :).

told by who? bob marley or elvis himself?

you buy a certain brand, it doesnt mean it will perform better than a cheaper brand, jeez :rolleyes:

Actually, david hammock and Angry Games. They recommend it, and I listen as you probably should. If you look around you'll see that a their opinions are very respected and for good reason.

Actually, it usually does. More expensive brand = better components = better power supply.

If I go with the NF4 SLI Ultra D, and end up wanting to use SLI, how will I get the SLI bridge?

I'll look into that board, and see what features is has that the Infinity doesn't.

Thanks for the tip. That board is easier for me to get than the Infinity.

|||synthtax|||

SLI Bridge at newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814998001

I will look at the feature differnce also and chime back in. I think more importantly that the ultra d has a better bios. IMHO the ulta D is the best bang for the buck out there. I will try to pull up a link to the mod for you also :)

malinois1,

I already found out how to mod to SLI. I was worried that I would need to use a hacked BIOS or something. When the two pins are connected, will any SLI related BIOS features all of a sudden be accessible in the BOIS, or are there no such features?

Is it really just as easy as connecting the two pins? Nothing else needs to be done? No software/firmware workarounds needed?

I haven't been able to find any differences in BIOS between the Infinity SLI and UT Ultra-D. Anyone have any input in that respect?

Thanks,

|||synthtax|||

If I go with the NF4 SLI Ultra D, and end up wanting to use SLI, how will I get the SLI bridge?

I'll look into that board, and see what features is has that the Infinity doesn't.

Thanks for the tip. That board is easier for me to get than the Infinity.

|||synthtax|||

SLI Bridge at newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814998001

I will look at the feature differnce also and chime back in. I think more importantly that the ultra d has a better bios. IMHO the ulta D is the best bang for the buck out there. I will try to pull up a link to the mod for you also :)