Dual Hdds...quick Question

BlownP4

Alright, I'm running dual 120GB WD HDDs. I have all of my files on one, and I want to use the other one for my boot/OS HDD. Here's the problem, when I try to install XP Pro on the proper drive, it recognizes my data HDD as "C:/" and my new one as "F:/". Will I expierence any problems from this? If so, how can I change my drive letter(s) so that my main one is "C:/" Please help and TIA!

Well if the HD (with data on it) was the first one used to boot from it will be recognized as C: and the drive letters can't be changed unless you format the new one you have and put your OS on it first, then the new drive will be recognized as C:

But you can try this: disconnect the drive with all the data on it from your system (unplug the power and IDE cable from it) then install the new HD then format it and install the OS on it, once you have done that, reinstall the drive with the data on it and your system should recognize it with data and all :)

But make sure each drive is on its own IDE chain and not on the same IDE chain(that can cause errors) and one is primary master and the other can be secondary master

If that doesnt work you may want to back up your data from that drive and format both HDs

I was thinking about doing that, just didn't know if it would work. I've got my main HDD (master) and my DVD+R/RW on one IDE cable, and my other HDD (master) and CD-R/RW on the other IDE cable, this shouldn't cause me any errors should it?

Even having both HDD on the same IDE controller will be fine too, shouldn't give you any errors, I've never had any with my setups doing it this way. It all depends on what you are doing with your computer. If its alot of HDD to HDD transferring then having them on different IDE chains will be best. Sorta like if you do alot of CD to CD copying then have the different drives on different IDE chains.

I knew it was much faster when running seperate chains. My second HDD just holds all my actual files, mp3, etc... I transfer files down to it probaly once or twice a week at most. I would leave it second on my "primary" IDE chain, but I'm worried about burning CDs from it. I think that putting them on seperate chains is the best way for me, I need the secondary one to be just as reliable as the boot HDD.

I haven't had any problems with the PC4000 yet. I bought Kingston HyperX b/c they were the only company that Abit had tested 500MHz units with their boards. but to be honest with you, I just got the system up and running good last night (Monday), so I'm gonna work with it for at least a week on stock setup before I start OC'ing it. I'm hoping to hit 3.4-3.5Ghz range, but I don't know yet.