Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

Guest laydback

Here's a quickie, Prime stable at 2900mhz but still playing with settings, im definatly open for suggestions.

quickie4wa.th.jpg

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am using a divider, and i've tried every voltage up to 1.7

thats another weird thing, it does 2.7GHz on the stock voltage, but wont do anything higher no matter what voltage i set it at

2.7 on stock!? id just go with that then!

but what you are experiencing is the way opterons seem to work. huge OCs on low voltage, but needs a lot to go much past that.

i can go from 1.8 -> 2.3 on stock, but to get to 2.63, I had to overvolt by .125v. which is still really good. im keeping it under 30*C idle and under 50*C dual large FFT. dual cores are hard.

Well I can't figure mine out for the life of me

I got my 146 today from zipzoomflfy

CABYE 0540FPBW

I've tried everything under the book including 5 different bios revisions and cant get past 2.7GHz (270)

If i try 271 or higher then during bootup when it's supposed to say "backup BIOS: OK!", it doesnt show that and the computer restarts

And it will do that all the way up to 3.2GHz before it doesnt post

I know for a fact its not my memory since im running a 2/3 divider

The weirdest part about it is at 2.7 its rock solid stable, Prime, SuperPI, no errors at all.

I've never seen a CPU that couldn't go high enough to get some kind of error in something

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

This kind of non-boot is what I get as a result of overclocking memory too high. I have never seen that on a too high CPU overclock.

Are you sure you have the hypertransport ratio on auto or low enough?

Please post you RAM settings.

Try one RAM stick in slot 2 (orange away from CPU).

OPB's problem seems to be unrelated. It is important to note that his Expert board was, as Martin pointed out, a pre-production model, and not the final retail version. It is widely believed that the Experts available to mortals like us will not have this problem. That being said, my Expert is arriving tomorrow, and I will NOT be putting either of my Opterons in until after several days of rigorous (read extreme) testing. Better safe than sorry...

OPB made a public statement that he believes it was just that one board. He didn't anser my question whether this was a pre-production sample sent to him or not. On XS there is a lot of hardware tested that vendors send to forum members directly (and it is generally accepted since people want to see what a piece can do if they draw a lucky one).

I know one of the other two boards that killed CPUs recently was a Crossfire board (how can you voluntarily trust ATI with your main computering resource? Anyway...). I don't know whether the third one was an Expert or a Crossfire board, or whether somebody made a third killer board out of the first two.

I have the NF4 DAGF.

I hear tons of success stories with the lanpartys. What of the DAGF? I know DFI doesn't officially support opterons, but they work in the lanpartys. Does anyone have experience with a DAGF and an opteron?

If anyone has a dagf lying around, and can try it out with an opteron, I would be very appreciative. :)

2.7 on stock!? id just go with that then!

but what you are experiencing is the way opterons seem to work. huge OCs on low voltage, but needs a lot to go much past that.

i can go from 1.8 -> 2.3 on stock, but to get to 2.63, I had to overvolt by .125v. which is still really good. im keeping it under 30*C idle and under 50*C dual large FFT. dual cores are hard.

ya, but i can do 2.7GHz at 1.4v, but i cant do 2.71GHz at any voltage, even up to 1.7v

Im starting to wonder if its my board, during one of my recent restarts none of my USB ports worked, so i hadto dig out a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, then a few reboots later without changing much of anything they started working again

o_0

This kind of non-boot is what I get as a result of overclocking memory too high. I have never seen that on a too high CPU overclock.

Are you sure you have the hypertransport ratio on auto or low enough?

Please post you RAM settings.

Try one RAM stick in slot 2 (orange away from CPU).

one thing i should note is that i have tried using Auto for most of the memory settings with the 704-2 bigtoe BIOS (which is my current BIOS)

2700mhz.GIF

IMG_6122s.JPG

IMG_6127s.JPG

IMG_6128s.JPG

Any reason for that tight TRP?

What I would do in your place is the 623-3 BIOS. As I said your symptoms are what I associate with wrong RAM settings.

Laydback, theres a 80x600 picture limit for in-thread pictures.

What I would do in your place is the 623-3 BIOS. As I said your symptoms are what I associate with wrong RAM settings.

other than the fact that I'm not positive what it does? :P

Actually that was one that was set already as part of the "optimized settings" during a reload after a BIOS flash

i think i originally had it set at 3 with my A64

Guest laydback

Sorry, I will edit my posts. Then I'll Prime my machine overnight and post pics in the ocdb tommorow. Later.