Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

aowen512, have you tried Prime95 and then check out the vcore voltage and see how it behaves? What about at BIOS, does it jumps like that (cpu-z)?

Mine variates a lot, from 1.442v to 1.455... but I blame my psu. Before with my SD 3700+ at 2.9 ghz the vcore graph was a flat line, as in "he is death Jim"... but with this Opteron 175 things started to change and now the vcore jumps around like a small zigzag. You might have to check your psu more closely just to be sure its not the one responsible.

Other than that I would listen to the BIOS vcore reading more than any windows software, and above all the CPU VID Special % and the CPU VID value, readings aren't accurate.

Good luck

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LithoTech
desire,

i doubt it - the software shows a lower voltage than bios. If u use a multimeter you'll most likely find that the vcore voltages are as set in bios with vdimm overvolting.

I re-calibrated MBM with my idle readings so that MBM idle pretty well reflects my mm readings:-

273x11_1-1_Idle.PNG

Bios :-

Vcore = 1.40v x104% = 1.456v Vdimm=2.8v

luck :)

Mind if I ask, how did you calibrate MBM?

I just poked around in voltage settings, and couldn't find anywhere to adjust the settings as per how much it displays per rail.

As for what I am doing in this thread... well... even though I've barely started with this Venice, a local supplier had a pretty good deal on Opty 144's till Tuesday the 21st.

I kind of heard about them being discontinued, or at least not available to mainstream, and really planned to move into one eventually. AMD is forcing my hand, errr, wallet, early!! :D;)

Not sure what diff it'll make atm, because I think it's the ram I am struggling with right now. Thought I found a sweet spot last night, ran 12+ hours error free memtest, then tried booting into windows and had all sorts of problems: usb keyboard no login, usb mouse no work, bumb volts got me to desktop for more anomalies so I reverted. Some other setting must be off. PM me for a list of bios settings if anyone is feeling helpfull.

Hardest decision for me to make regarding the Opty is if to take the bargin 144, or dump the extra $90 and get a 146. Since I think I'll be keeping this next CPU for quite a while, the temptation is very hard to resist. It's $90 I don't really have, but it's also an investment I can sort of justify by selling the Venice, using plastic (thankyou MasterCard), and buying a 10x multi would keep me a lot happier for months down the road.

I'm also worried about stepping. I can't get a definative statement from the supplier as to the stock's stepping. All I can go by is some posts by customers on their web site.

The latest posts for the 146 are dated March 1st, and have a CACJE 0603FPMW stepping, fellow was primed at [email protected].

The latest posts for the 144 is March 18, and it's a CAB2E :( But, he's claiming a 2.7 300x9 @1.45 on it.

I'd love a 148, out of my price bracket, it's nearly $200 more. Just can't do it right now.

I realise there isn't much data on the CACJE yet, but I do see you guys are doing nicely, 2.9-3.2+! And there is no way to know exactly when these chips will be cut off. Yet I can say that this supplier tends to dump stock like this when it impending discontinued. So I have a feeling...

I suppose, all I have nothing to loose my waiting, I have a great Venice 3000 to play with, barely started on her. Got a little discouraged because I didn't have the time to devote to it, but then did and couldn't get the ram past 210 at stock timings. Still can't actually. But loosened them a little, read a lot, and got a stable 225 wich ran for almost two weeks uptime working, folding, benching and gaming. Then I had to push it, lol, 240, yeah, stable in memtest! Poo on windows! Bah!

Anyway, any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I feel I need some advice. For some reason I am finding amking any decision on this difficult, even though it's really petty cash as far as the business goes. I plan to post my Venice for sale tomorrow morning, as well as two computers I've got ready to go here. Gonna be a busy week no matter how it goes. :P

What about just adding the diference?

Like this:

V5=$24*0,0645 //V +12.00 (MBM shows 11.83v and DMM shows 12.27v)

V5=$24*0,0645 + 0.44 //V +12.00 (12.27 - 11.83 = 0.44)

Not sure about the sintaxis, but it worked with my MBM... I got the clue because other V values had the same sintaxis.

hi Sorrento,

I played with mine & addition didn't work for me, also not sure if subtraction would work if mm < MBM reading.

what also works is change

V5=$24*0,0645 //V

to

V5=$24 //*0,0645 //V MBM now dispays the 8bit register value 0-255 so the new multi is Multimeter volts/ Register value.

Well not sure, maybe it has something to do with the type of sensor (brand of motherboard). I have only adjusted adding or substracting with other motherboards, not with my DFI since I never used MBM with it.

I am buying a Logitech G15 just to monitor the temperature while in a game, since SLI doesn't let me use dual monitors... at least I know MBM5 works with it, thats the reason I am interested in MBM5 again :)

I just say the DFI boards a great the board(in sig)replaces a Asrock 939dual sata that failed me from the get-go an i'll have to say the support on these forums are amazing. After a wknd of messing around im at my current setup 2.7 an stable tho im sure theirs more i could get outa it ,just means alot of fine tuning.

Also like to say thanks to all for making the Guides here HUGE help.

Speaking of Guides, the MBM5 one is good too... and Supershanks' adition as well :)

IMO MBM5 uses more cpu cycles than other smaller sensor reading programs, thats why I stopped using it when I had my Abit NF7-S v2.0... and I still have it, but not with MBM5 since I my main system use AMD64. The logs however, as well as the ability for adjusts and other stuff are very nice, I might have to use it again unless I find something better for the G15 keyboard.

just got the phase unit cranking and here are the results from the first night's worth of benching :D

BIG THANKS TO C-BuZz for building this nice phase unit for me :nod:

i just went straight for 3.3GHz

i couldn't use 10.5xmulti to get 13/ratio for RAM hence i only have 235MHz on RAM :(..................run was done with MBM5 so i can see the temps

3300MHz 32M SuperPI

windows idle core temp = -28C

windows idle evap temp = -40C

windows SPI 32M core load temp = -16/-18C

windows SPI 32M evap load temp = -36/-38C

33ghz32msuperpi22m07688s5sr.jpg

3355MHz 8M SuperPI....heheh too late for 32M runs

windows idle core temp = -26/-28C

windows idle evap temp = -39C

windows SPI 32M core load temp = -16/-18C

windows SPI 32M evap load temp = -36/-37C

3355mhz8msuperpi4m34516s4ji.jpg

3405MHz 8M SuperPI

windows idle core temp = -26/-27C

windows idle evap temp = -38C

windows SPI 32M core load temp = -15C

windows SPI 32M evap load temp = -36C

3405mhz8msuperpi4m29984s8vc.jpg

3455MHz 8M SuperPI

windows idle core temp = -26/-27C

windows idle evap temp = -38C

windows SPI 32M core load temp = -15C

windows SPI 32M evap load temp = -35C

3455mhz8msuperpi4m25281s8pf.jpg

3.5Ghz

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=80427

i did a few loops of 32M......just need to figure it out....but it looks benchable close to 3.5GHz :leet:

3497mhz1msuperpi24266s5dj.jpg

almost 20minutes argh

3463mhz32msuperpi21m04485s6fq.jpg

here is a photo of 3.5GHz 32M SuperPI run........... -12C load....need a little better temps to make it stick :nod:

dsc026353zk.jpg