nF4 Memory Advice (updated 14/11/06)

Sharp

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yo dudes. new to DFI boards. (from asus).

i read some recommendations on the first few pages.

as far as my budget could reach, i can afford crucial ballistix pc3200 dual 512MB setup. The rams mentioned on the first page, is it this one? (the link)

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.As...=BL2KIT6464Z402

i've read DFI seems to be picky and werent built for value rams. so this is the ones i'll be getting then. i can't go wrong with this crucial rams right? (as my areas are costly for RMA items). anyone pls kind enough to enlighten me? just to make myself perfectly sure. lol... :sweat:

thanks a bunch!

Hello,

I am on my 3rd 2x512MB kit.

- 1st set died after 8 months

- 2nd set died within 2 weeks

- 3rd set still alive and have used 2.8v constantly on them. (~4months old now)

I think Crucial have sorted out the problem as I haven't seen any new posts about dead recently purchased 2x512MB modules.

Disclaimer, the above statement is subject to change under the following conditions,

1. 3rd set suddenly stops working.

Think carefully about this.

Put your system on your sig. It is required. Now I/we would be better able to answer your question if it were there. The layout of the memory slots on the boards differ, and what type of Zalman do you have, I have the cnps and a couple of the 7 series, I would be able to give you an answer right now if you had it on your sig. :cool:

Hi everybody,

This is my first posting on the Street and I would like to thank you guys for all your time and patience in running this forum.

At the moment I run some heavy log parsing and I put the results into the MySQL database. The whole procedure is pretty time consuming, so I'm about to upgrade the rig to see how much time can I benefit.

So, I'm about to change my 3500 with the X2 4400 CPU, I will upgrade HDs to 150GB Raptor and I will upgrade my RAM from 2x512MB to 2x1GB.

Do you think that considering the above I will get the significant benefit with going for a PC4000 modules or should I just go with some of the best PC3200 modules? My budget is pretty flexible, so price difference of 50€ up or down isn't such a big issue.

Up until now I didn't do any OC on my machine. I don't plan to push any limits with the new dual channel memory I'm about to get. I was thinking about overclocking the CPU to 250Mhz FSB and get a dual channel PC4000 modules with the tightest possible timings and that's it. I suppose, this would be almost a trivial thing to do.

After reading this thread, and after looking for an online retailer who ships within EU for a decent price, this is what I've found:

http://www.shop4memory.com/products/ddr-ram.asp#pc4000

they have some good offers in a range between 230€ and 270€:

OCZP5002GXTC-K (270€) 3-3-3-8 OCZ 2x1GB PC4000 Platinum XTC DC Kit

OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K (250€) 3-4-3-8 OCZ 2x1GB PC4000 Gold XTC DC Kit

also a couple of good PC3200 modules:

OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K (236€) 2-3-2-5 OCZ 2x1GB PC3200 EL Platinum DC Kit

OCZ4002048ELGEGXT-K (235€) 2-3-3-8 OCZ 2x1GB PC3200 Gold XTC DC Kit

They also have some GaIL, G.Skill and Patriot modules, but in my search I mostly concentrated on OCZ modules. If you would recommend some of these other modules I might also go for them. The reason I looked for OCZ is that after reading the thread I consider OCZ as a minimum risk/setting-up-problems and maximum-quality choice, for a bit higher price.

I've found lower prices at some German online retailers, but the shipping expenses were much higher. I would appreciate if someone can recommend some other European online shops. There's also another place (www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk) where I found almost the same prices as above ones, so I won't quote them again.

I have two more questions. First, considering my sig's specification, do you think that my 300W PSU will be capable of dealing with the new CPU and memory, or should I consider buying a new case/PSU? Athlon X2 4400 (in case I get the 89W version of 4400) should consume around 22W more then Athlon 3500 that I have at the moment, so I guess that I will still stay within the limits of my PSU.

And second question, if I get one of those PC4000 modules and OC the Athlon 4400 to 250MHz, would I need some additional cooling of CPU/mem besides the box cooler which will come with the CPU?

Thank you,

Igor

Does anyone here have the OCZ 2x1GB PC4000 Platinum XTC sticks? I don't see them in the list on the first page. I want to switch to a 2GB set and got a pretty good deal on these off ebay recently ($150 for an unopened pack).

I am mainly just looking to run these around their rated speeds, maybe 5mhz more at the most.