nF4 Memory Advice (updated 14/11/06)

Sharp

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can I find out which memory module uses which chip? I've looked everywhere (maybe not hard enough) but could not find any information. The online retailer doesn't mention the chip, nor does the manufacturer's website (at least I couldn't find anything on the corsair website).

Sorry if this has already been answered, I have tried to search for an answer but couldn't find it.

Hi guys

Well I got my Ram

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=23388

Basically im having one or two problems. My computer keeps on freezing with the ram, and i have to keep restarting it. I done a memory test and it done 2 passes without any problem. I had this issue with other memory, but the old memory worked fine.

What i have done in the Dram gene bios settings is set everything to The Fail-Safe Defaults then set the CPC to Disable, so it is now running in 2t, and everything seems to be ok.

Any advice you can give me so my computer doesnt keep locking up would be appreciated, as I want to enjoy this pc more than having to send ram backwards and forwards.

Keith

Hello all: I’ve been following this and other (older) threads but am still uncertain as to which memory is best for the Expert. I’d really like to get the maximum from my board and 165 and know that my current memory is holding me back. I actually had to remove one stick that was failing.

I have also been reading the reviews on New Egg and the more I read the more confused I am with the various timings etc. I welcome any recommendations on the best 2GB kit that will allow the best stable performance. My budget is up to $300. Thank you in advance.

G.Skill HZ, Mushkin Redline, or any of the OCZ gold or platinum 2x1GB dual channel kits. Whatever you buy you're going to use a divider anyway. OCZ has great support and you get help from them here.

OCZ has great support and you get help from them here.

Thank you for the reply. I'm considering OCZ based on all the recommendations but now I'm trying to understand the difference between these two:

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Platinum System Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K - Retail

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZP4002GK - Retail

Both with great review on New Egg with the latter having hundres of positive reviews while the Platinum version having only 28.

Also, is it worth getting somethign faster than PC3200? I see PC4000 but the timings seem higher. Confusing...

With a 165 processor I wouldn't be looking at anything other then DDR500. With the high HTT you will be running plus the fact that most 165 processors don't like dividers below 150 your memory is going to be running somewhere around 245 - 250.

Thank you for your replies; I'm closing in. Is this the recommended EB?

OCZ Platinum Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ5002048EBPE-K - Retail

Cas Latency: 3

Timing: 3-3-2-8

I guess I'm confused by what appears to be higher timings and the CL compared to the PC3200. The more I read the more confused I am.