nF4 Memory Advice (updated 14/11/06)

Sharp

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Blooz1

The kit posted by DCLocal are the "EB's" with the Infineon chips. Halvis, the ones you posted are "EL's", which use Samsung UCCC.

I dunno, that whole "guide" y'all linked to was a ball of confusion! What they were doing with that reference to the OCZ "Gold" is beyond me - those kits weren't even mentioned in the actual article!

Lowboy and Praz are correct in saying that you should just stick to the DDR500 kits. Even with that you'll still wind up using a divider. Your CPU Mhz is what you'll be concentrating on with A64, so don't get hung up about "tight timings" - the only place they'll make any impact is with artificial benchmarks.

Guest Halvis
The kit posted by DCLocal are the "EB's" with the Infineon chips. Halvis, the ones you posted are "EL's", which use Samsung UCCC."

Ok, now Im even MORE confused, because they claim that the OCZ Gold 2 x 1 GB PC4000 DDR RAM (OCZ5002048ELGEGXTK) are the EB's / Infineon.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/di...-roundup_8.html

"Although the OCZ PC4000 EB Dual Channel Platinum Edition kit consists of DDR500 SDRAM modules, two examples of which you have already seen above, they differ considerably from both G.Skill F1-4000USU-2GBHZ and Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT. First, they differ externally. OCZ is the only manufacturer in this review to equip its modules with copper rather than aluminum heatsinks and the PC4000 EB Dual Channel Platinum Edition can be easily distinguished from the other reviewed kits by the sheer weight alone. Then, the heat-spreaders are polished and covered with a mirror-like platinum-colored sputtering. The shape of the heatsinks is standard, though, and they are braced up with two steel clamps quite in the usual way. There’s a heat-conductive pad inserted in between the heat-spreaders and the chips. The shiny modules are surely attractive, but your fingerprints are just too visible on the mirror-like surface, so you may want to wipe them away with soft cloth after you’ve plugged the module in.

The manufacturer’s logo is embossed on both sides of each module. On the face side there is also a sticker that tells you the basic info about the product like the part number, name, frequency, capacity and timings. And here’s the biggest surprise: the characteristics of this memory from OCZ don’t look a bit similar to the specifications of other 1GB DDR500 SDRAM modules. Here they are:

* Frequency: 500MHz DDR

* Default timings: 3-3-2-8 at 1T Command Rate

* Default voltage: 2.8V

* The kit includes two 184-pin unbuffered non-ECC DDR SDRAM modules, 1024MB each

* The modules are equipped with copper heatsinks with a platinum-color mirror-life sputtering

* Lifetime warranty

The difference is fundamental: the default voltage of the modules is increased to 2.8V, but the timings are lowered down to 3-3-2-8. Of course, this is not only due to the copper heatsinks, but rather to the chips these modules are based on – revision C chips from Infineon. OCZ also mentions two special technologies implemented in these modules: Ultra Low Noise refers to the special EMI-minimizing design of the PCB, while Extended Voltage Protection allows using the module at 2.9V voltage without voiding the warranty."

any one using OCZ platinium XTC PC4000 2*1gb kit, ??? does it overclock prety well??

i have 1 kit in the mail right now, that will fit with my new opty 165 actualy in mail too

i wanted to know what the max of those module and what they can do at what voltage

cuz i have found alot of info on 5B-F chips

I'm in Korea (what did I do to deserve this?, you may ask - I'm a teacher. Sad, huh?),

and I have very few options for memory over here.

Which of the following options would work for my backup nF4 Ultra-D:

A-Data PC4000 Vitesta 512MBx2

Chaintech Apogee PC3200 1GB

And which would be better?

Muggie2

Is it possible to find out what chips are on them?

Tried and failed.

Chaintech uses modules made by several different manufacturers, each of which may or may not use different chips for different batches.

Adata doesn't specify the chips used. All I can find out is they do 3-4-4-8 timings at PC4000

What I may do is get both, try them both, and see.

The alternative is to build a new system using an X2 4800 paired with my last remaining set of Mushkin Redline XP4000, and relegate my current system to the backup role.

Muggie2

• 2 weeks later...

l just purchased a NF4 UT SLI-D paired with a X2 4200+ and was thinking of going for these to make it run happy......OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 Gold GX XTC 2GB Dual Channel you think these puppys will play okay with my mobo and cpu???????????????????????????/

thank is advance....

Logan

hello, i have 2x512mb ocz pc3200 gold VX ram and and currently running at 225mhz and 2-2-2-5 1T (3.2v) and was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a list of good genie bios settings for this ram.

i have seen it on the offical ocz forums before but i was unable to find it this time i searched.

also just another question, if i wanted to upgrade to 2gb of ram would it be wise to get another 2x512mb kit? i know bh-5(think that's what this vx is) is quite rare nowadays.

all help appreciated.