nF4 Memory Advice (updated 14/11/06)

Sharp

This will be the second time I read the leading post about RAM (first time was a year ago when I built my PC). I must admit, I'm still a little confused.

Here's what I want - to upgrade to 2GB. The upgrade is for the sole purpose of playing newer games like CoH and Medieval War 2.

I have been extremely happy with my current RAM.

Here's what I don't want - to ever overclock.

As I understand it, at this point I cannot get the same RAM I have now (adding another 1GB) because the revisions will not match. Besides, another forum member suggested that filling all 4 RAM slots is bad on the controller.

Honestly, if adding an unmatched second pair of RAM (to get 2GB) equated to say 80% memory performance compared to replacing my current RAM with 2x1GB, then it would be worth it. Does that make sense?

I searched for some OCZ 2x1GB but there are none with the recommended timing of 2-2-2.

Advice welcome!

Thanks.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

At the time the guide was written around 2x512MB modules.

2x1GB kits will not have these low timings, as the chip density is quite big it needs to be slower.

2-3-2-5 is the lowest you will find.

Also as you increase the frequency the timings go up.

EG, a PC4000 (250Mhz) kit would be around 3-3-3-8.

And these can run at 2.5-3-3-6 or 2-3-2-5 @200Mhz.

So that 2-2-2-5 recommendation is for 2x512MB kits only.

Understood. But the 3200 recommendation still stands for anyone *not* wanting to overclock right? In other words, if I do not wish to overclock, then I get nothing from PC4000.

Yes.