Can i do better

Wel chaps, i've had an eventfull couple of weeks. I did the vdimm pencil mod and all seemed to going well, output from the measuring point was 3.39v when set at 3.2v. So i booted into memtest for a couple of hours and all was ok. Rebooted into windows and halfway through posting the board died on me. So i've spent ages trying to track down a mobo that is'nt made anymore, finally found a Lanparty B. Swaping the board out and stuff has been a right pain but i'm up and running again. Needless to say, no more vmods for me.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats bad, sorry to hear that KitFit :(

Thats the risk of volt mods, especially pencil modding. Buts its a risk you have to be prepared to take if you really want to push your system to the extreme.

Where did you track a new board down from in the end then?

Is this board overclocking any better?

Thanks shinobi. I got the mobo off the B-Grade section at OC/UK, the last one i think. The board's perfect, and at £35 it was'nt to much of a costly mistake. I knew that i was taking a risk, what i did'nt realize was how difficult it would be to get another mobo.

It clocks the same as my(ex infinity). So i'm still as in my sig. It's not that i can't get to 250 fsb, i can. It passes Memtest 8hrs, all the S&M tests and it Prime's for 12hrs all at 250fsb. When i run 3dmark 03 it bombs out or freezes until i drop it back to 243, any ideas? :confused:

Hmmm, have you ruled your processor out of the equation? I take it you've tried dropping the multi to test it already?

Not a bad price that, and now you've got a snazzy looking LanParty B :D & Gigabit Lan and Diognostic LED's :)

At least you can use the bios out of the Infinity as a backup in case anything goes wrong. It will work fine in your LanParty B to get it booting, other than the Gigabit LAN...

I bought a single stick of the same stuff.After following this thread for a while.Priming now @235x11 seems good sofar .I''m pretty sure I had it stable @245x10 single stick. (Memtest.superpi,3dmark) I need to get some thermal tape for my mosfet sinks. Which I'm carving on now. Single stick is usually good for another mhz or two sometimes 5. It sure works alot better than my "ocz el ddr pc3500 gold gx ("utt-bh5) (I Bought that before ocz put up the warning.) Ocz now has a warning on the pc4000 vx too for nf2 boards.) But as for why,I'm not sure yet at this time. Probably because most nf2 boards won't give more that 2.8-2.9 vdimm.(I hope thats only reason) The utt bh-5 simply hates nf2. I hit a wall with that stuff @210 on two boards.I've seen others have much worse results. But this stuff(Pc4000 vx) seems ok sofar. I'll keep an eye on this thread see what I can learn from ya's. Hehe

"Clay" P.S. "Kitfit" thanks for jumpin' out there an buyin' the stuff and testin' it. I'd almost given up on tight timing's and fsb was about to go back to mushkin-retail as it'll run 230 fsb without crashing at relaxed timings. But w/ this memory I can see 250 fsb on the horizon Thanks my friends........

I'm with you on that one Clay, i think the warning is because of the lack vdimm on most nf2 mobos. You will need to put 3.3v through that ram though to stand a chance of getting near 250fsb. At the moment i'm trying a slightly different track, i've moved from 11 to 8 and it's Memtesting as i type. Ocz rate this stuff at 2 2 2 2 8 so i thought i'd give it a go.

Thanks shinobi. I got the mobo off the B-Grade section at OC/UK, the last one i think. The board's perfect, and at £35 it was'nt to much of a costly mistake. I knew that i was taking a risk, what i did'nt realize was how difficult it would be to get another mobo.

It clocks the same as my(ex infinity). So i'm still as in my sig. It's not that i can't get to 250 fsb, i can. It passes Memtest 8hrs, all the S&M tests and it Prime's for 12hrs all at 250fsb. When i run 3dmark 03 it bombs out or freezes until i drop it back to 243, any ideas? :confused:

KIT :nod:

I run and can do pretty much the same as you, my cpu goes a lil higher than yours though and what i find is pretty much the same as you, 03 bombs at 251, its ususaly in the cpu intensive benchs that mines goes which tells me that the cpu is running on the ragged edge, yours im betting is the same, you either need to pump more volts through it, i needed 1.95v to 2.0v to run at 251x11 = 2761mhz, running at 251x10.5 = 2635mhz and 1.9v was not a prob and could go to 253fsb to push, but stability started to deteriorate on my ram at anything higher, slew rates and chipset volts to 1.8v might help with some stabiltiy. ALso you have to cool your ram especially if your running 3.3v through like me, it gets hot and starts to through out errors all over the place so really good cooling on ram and especially on the cpu will help you alot with stabiltiy.

Ok peep's 'im at the holy grail, at last ;)

untitledmedium6dr.jpg

As you can see i changed T(RP) from 2 to 3 and it sailed through 3d01, 3d03 and 3d05, so i'm now as happy as someone who's walked into a pub at happy hour only to find it lasts all night long :nod:

I was reluctant to alter it but the reality is it makes no real differance to bandwith. Needless to say these setings are Prime, Memtest and S&M stable aswell. They allways were, i just could'nt get 3d stable.

Just thought i'd add some Everest results: Read 3842 MB/s

Write 1444 MB/s

Latency 65.5 ns

:shake: Fantastic!!! Maybe I gotta' chance of doing that too! :sweat: I still gotta' sink a coupla' more mosfets! Need thermal tape or thermal epoxy :tooth: The ones by the mem sticks next.. :) I'm still amazed I'm not still stuck at 210. :nod: I keep expecting sumptin' to freeze!LOL Hasen't yet :confused: I've a new 24/7 setting now. Much much better. "Clay"

By the way Clay, i did a little test this morning and took one of my sticks out and ran the single stick at 250x10 11-2-2-2-2. That stick on it's own whent through all 3d01, 03 and 05 perfect. So yours should do the same, but as i mentioned before put your vdimm up to 3.3v.

I just did that .Not long enough for a prime. But ran memtest Really good! I'm glad I got this instead of what someone@ocz suggested. I think he thought I was still using my asus board though. I probably wouldn't have bought it if you hadn't I was getting pretty disgruntled w/ocz gold. Hehee Are you gonna' post for a toaster? You should those are some excellent overclocks. (Better "than" I've done sofar)

I'm Run 3dmark01se play a little doom3. I've got a pretty good fan on the dimm mosfets and stick the ac is on too.I wonder if I should try now.(They're still not sinked yet)

Has anyone cooked a board lately yet or does it just get unstable? I'm gonna' give it some whirl test it out some maybe burn it in a bit.(I'm not sure that works w/ch-5 though) I'll let ya' know what happens "Clay"

Although my Infinity had sinks on all the mosfets, i have'nt got round to sinking this Lanparty yet (i will of course). Apart from all the normal cooling, case ram ect, i've got a little 40mm fan glued to the southbridge (it does get a bit toastey). Yes i think i will put in for a Toaster sig, but i don't think i'm finished just yet (looking at maybe 255x10), i'll keep you all posted.