Can i do better

Yes, it's as3 you put on thinly. I think as5 goes on thicker, although i don't know for sure as i've only got as3. My cpu needs stupid amounts of volts to get over 2550mhz, so i've never really tried with more than 1.85v. When you say the lever is sloppy, do you mean at the point just before it locks, or all the way through the locking phase? Just the one stick started chucking out thousands of errors, so rma'd both,as there a matched pair. I can't see me getting the new set back until next weekend or early the following week though.

Defo order that other stick though, you know it makes sense.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've read this thread before but I can't remember, I scaned through the last page though.

I'd like to point out a few things that may help I dn, you guys may allready know this stuff.

Don't bother with 3dmark for testing right now.

Use s&m, the quick tests, I use cpu for the cpu test.

Use single thread, disable safe error count, 100% load(doe'snt make any diff on my rig though but whatever, mine allways gives 100% for any task).

This will help alot ;).

You can do like days of prime testing within a few mins this way ;).

If you pass the quick tests, use the normal one for memory :), if you pass that just hammer it in more with prime for the heck of it and go for that sig ;).

The north bridge....

I found out somehting strange..., well not really but whatever.

Depending on the memory and the bios used you will need 1.6v or more for 266mhz fsb on the north bridge.

Yes!, you can get away 100% stable even during hot spells @ 1.6v nb.

I made a newer aggressive(fenrir 2.2 as of right now) bios that does this same thing.

266mhz fsb with a 1.6v nb, aggressive as hell, I'm on the opteron's but in everest, and getting up to the x2 in some areas, just need 100megs more :).

I'm getting 69.3 on the latency test, that's all I can remmember off hand detailed like.

I've been priming for hours and hours, did a normal test of s&m and pass np.

The prob is all my higher multi's don't even post at this speed.

I'm still at a loss of what it could be, there's a few more things I can do to test but otherwqise it's the bios.

I decided to play around with the 505 bios again and that's how I did this, I inproved it's stability slightly to pass the norm test and also it's speed.

So really it's dumb founded me lol, I dn how or why this can do this but it's doing it :).

Anyways the nb, the cooler it runs the less voltage it'll probably need, I've seen this straight up.

So consider that, also the bios makes a big diffrence in that as well, not even my alpha13 bios is this stable during heatup at this fsb, but that bios has the mutli's, this one does'nt :.

To test for broken multi's:

Test at 2.2ghz or lower for cpu at the fsb you are shooting for, knowing what you highest 100% stable cpu is will help here because afterwards if the fsb is stable you need to up the multi until it's not stable.

If it does'nt reach your max then you have broken multi's, those can be fixed by modified bios'es.

Best to test for this before you shoot for it.... :

Thank's NEOAethyr: I didn't know that.I've only grown serious about overclocking the past year. (been overclockin' a long time but never like this I'd move some jumpers or change a setting or two and it either work or not.LOL) This is the best fsb I've gotton this stable sofar. I needed more vcore and more chipset voltage (1.9)than I thought I should have needed But that seems to be what it took. <a href=fsb2429fq.th.jpg' alt='fsb2429fq.th.jpg'

The lever I'll check it tonight or in the morning.But really I should get some more as5(Or3) before I do anymore but I'm pretty sure it not a tight clamp all the way through. It seems good enough to work sofar I got a toaster w/it. And a pretty good 24/7 setting with it. But high fsb humm.......that could be part of my problem. Could be a messed up bios multi or processor too. It crashed loadin' win-deers @250 but I figure @11-2-2-2-13-15 they'd load ok(crash everything except everest though)Hehee

NEOAethyr Usually for quick stability I generally use superpi. If she'll pass all the pi's it'll pass prime. But I have passed 9+ hrs of prime and then failed a 1meg superpi'. I use snm but I usually save that for after all the pi's. I didn't know it had a quick test though. I'll check it out LOL Thank's "Clay"

Back with running my Ballistix at the moment, sent of the vx for rma this mornig.

Loggan, the 3d01 run i posted on your thread was only about 900 higher than my 9800pro as well. The big difference is in 03 and 05.

Clay, is'nt 32 on the chipset about right?

By the way Loggan, are you sure you want to risk your rig with a Qtec :confused:

Now NEo is a lot more clued up on the intricet stuff than i am, i am more your balls out kind off rough and ready OC'er LOL ;) so you should listen to what he has to say with the fine tuning. I get the job done but he will take you further.

THere is no set temp for the NB it all depends on ambient room temp, air flow through your system and what kind of cooling you have in your rig.

My day to day temp on my NB is 28C but that dont make it "Set in Stone" does it??????? 32C i dont know about that either, seen alot with 36C-38C so that is quite a bit of variation in temps, what works for one wont be the same for next user.

The big difference is in the GFX that is what i am seeing Kit. Yes 01 likes the fsb higher the better and 03-05 have a mix of both but seem to be more gfx prioritised.

I dont think i am risking anything with my Qutec except to be able to push to higher fsb. My Qutec has been modified and has stronger rails than my Enermax. Its cheap free in fact and gives me the OC that i was looking for, no risk in that man ;). I use it for benching, not for day to day stuff, i use the enermax for day to day. NO risk dude.

I kind of do the same as Clay as far as a quick bench to check for stabilty, SuperPi or the Render test will quickly tell me if i am stable enough then i can move onto prime etc, not use S&M that much though others here swear by it. SPi followed by Render tells me my cpu is up too the task or not.

I haven't yet figured out what exactly "Neo" meant as far as snm settings go but I started playing with the settings anyway.(I'll figure it out LOL) But I found a really cool voltage-temp monitor and recorder(In snm). So I ran snm full at my default 227x11 settings. My nb hit 44.4c. The processor hit 43.7c. (I think my nb was lot's cooler before I fixed it.Hehee) Also my 12v rail drops to 11.57 at times.(I've seen much worse on other computers though) Inna' week or so I'll order some more as5 and fix my paste jobs.(Hopefully) The 5v and 3.3 sensors seem to be holding thier own. But a bigger oc and the 12v could easily fall further outta' spec. That's a possible concern couldn't that do it too? I'll keep playin' with it see what else I can find out. "Clay" Could be a weak psu for the loads I'm puttin' on er'? I moved my nbv down to 1.6 last night before I ran snm. It seems to work better @1.6 (better everest reads)Than 1.7 Didn't seem like it before though. Back to fiddling wit it. LOL

Well after exhaustive test's until I can do some more work to and new knowledge make's it self apparent.(And I figure out what I'm doing wrong or which piece o hardware is failing.)

Max total mhz seems to be where I toastered. 2591 by cpuz(2585 by multixfsb) After that cpu wants way too much vcore! 242 seems to be max fsb now.I'm gettin' memtest errors over that.(In test 7# only though) Wasn't doing that before though. I did this today best I could get today w/ any reasonable voltage. (If 1.95 is reasonable)

<a href=http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/7661/humm2zc.th.jpg' alt='humm2zc.th.jpg'>

Could be a bad psu. But mostly I suspect my processor. Could be my memory is going too. I'll keep testing and hopefully I'll find the prefect bios . Or RMA some stuff LOL.

Clay, i was doing some fiddling around while waiting for the rma and thought i'd flash to tic-tacs 3dfire-r2. It's been on for a couple of days and so far it's the most prommising bios i've used. Passes S+M, Memtest 3d01, 03 and 05. I hav'nt primed yet but my guess is it will go through that aswell. That's with Ballistix, which was a bit of a bugger at 250 but seems verry stable on this bios. It might be worth you having a look and see what you think, if you hav'nt allready of course. A 12v rail dropping to 11.57 would worry me a bit as well, stronger psu maybe?

Right now I'm on the official 6/19 haven't really tested it yet. It's got good snap in everest bench's. Tried "Shinobi's" Exocet for a while. It's nice in that I can run more mhz w/less vcore.(To a point) But still I hit my wall at about the same place. As w/ hellfires rev2. I haven't really tested official 6/19. To any degree as far as overclocking goes. it might be stable@250 memtest test 7 where the last time I tried it wasn't. This month about all I'll be able to do is. Get a better nb cooler and a seconed stick of vx. (+some as5) I hope it's not my memory!

I strongly suspect the psu. 12v [email protected] at only 2.5 ghz. When I push it. It could drop a quite a lot lower. Also the psu throw's off alot of heat all the time meaning it's straining. I did that power-supply configureator today. it said min was 435watts and it didn't have enough slot's for all my stuff.(Mostly fans) I'm sure I'm well over that.(435hehe)

I think (Now I could be wrong though) Some one else from this forum (Inna' nuther forum though)said he went through 3# 500-550 watt psu's before he found one that worked for him. I don't think I'll be able to get to it until after new-years. Probably an ocz 520pwrstream. Or something w/ adjustable rail's. I'm really not too sure this ez-media 480watt is true power. Hummmm...I just checked the output rating sticker on the psu. It read's really bad! Proudly emblazioned with amd-intel approved. It sez 3.3v=28amp (OK)5v=35amps(Still Ok) 12v=16amps(WTF!!!)Then it says combined output 26.8 I might have just found my problem. (Shoulda looked sooner! I was too scared, to look I thinkLOL) Hehee. 16amp's isn't what is recomended for these board's. So it looks like after I get my dual ch workin' again. I'm powersupply shoppin' After new yrs over. Dual channel is more important for right now.(NB cooling is too if I'm gonna' pull it I'd best replace it w/better.)

Thank's Kitfit that's most likely it. "Clay" I keep workin' on it .