Upgrading to Newark Core 3700+ would like suggestions on Heatsinks.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Thermalright only has one type of heatsink that "bolts" down and that product is discontinued. I'm not going to go through the hastle of modding the heatsink and retention bracket on the motherboard, along with the risk of destroying the die on the cpu for a couple of degrees C. I'm just not confident enough with my limited modding skills to properly do it.

Trust me I have been debating with that idea over in my head for the past couple days.

Hey Thun! I saw that job that David did excellent effort. I thought about posting the linky too. No references on the Zalman though that I could see immediately. Glad I took your advice way back when on the 948 even though it's serving time in another system now.

Yashu is getting a decent turn on his Newark with his Z if that's good enough for cmay. Cyber is a maniac anyway lol :nod:

Personally I'd likely try the Swifty or Pal after doing some research given I could play with fan's to accomplish top performance if noise were no issue. That said I'm glad I swapped over to my H20 and gained another 120MHz stable vs air with this old claw I'm running.

Sorry Mods if this isn't the correct forum.

Hi all, I'm planning on upgrading from my crappy C0 Clawhammer to the new Rev. E Newark 3700+. The only thing I'm worried about is the proper heatsink to purchase with this CPU as the die is naked on this CPU. Anyone else running a CPU with the IHS removed or a Newark to tell me what Heatsink they are using. Also if there is any special precautions/modifications I'll need to make to get proper contact and not destroy the die. Thanks for any help you guys can give. :)

only a question: where do you buy it ? and money how much ?

thanx

bye

the performance of the 90c is unmatched but the retention brackets have caused ozzimark and myself from XS to chip our cores, mine still works but not as good as it used to and ozzi's is toast, so my choice would also be something with bolt thru patterns, the retention bracket on my dfi were moddified to allow a tighter fit and aparently from all the removal and reinstallation it has caused some cracks around the corners of mine, shell only do 2.9 now with my ch-5 :(

2.9 is still awesome performance considering, but I wish I would have listened to some ppl when they said the 90c was troublesome..

just my 2C if you listen you wont be dissapointed.. Get bolt thru design

the performance of the 90c is unmatched but the retention brackets have caused ozzimark and myself from XS to chip our cores, mine still works but not as good as it used to and ozzi's is toast, so my choice would also be something with bolt thru patterns, the retention bracket on my dfi were moddified to allow a tighter fit and aparently from all the removal and reinstallation it has caused some cracks around the corners of mine, shell only do 2.9 now with my ch-5 :(

2.9 is still awesome performance considering, but I wish I would have listened to some ppl when they said the 90c was troublesome..

just my 2C if you listen you wont be dissapointed.. Get bolt thru design

Thanks Alienware for your comment, yep I'll stay away from bracket style HS's. Thank you also Thunda for the linky :). I now have also heard about the Zalman 9500. That looks like what I'll be going with. The Big Typhoon HS supposedly dissipates heat better than the 9500, but that damn HS looks so top heavy that I don't even wanna mess with it.

To Roby972 here's the website that sells it: LINK

Thanx

and for installation ?

i read that the a64 mobile have different layout/area of diisipation from the normal desktop a64 ...

Installation should be the same as if you were installing a normal desktop CPU. However, a stock amd hs will not make proper contact with this cpu as the IHS is removed. So that's pretty much what this whole thread is about, trying to find the right HS for the job.