Upgrading to Newark Core 3700+ would like suggestions on Heatsinks.

Sorry Mods if this isn't the correct forum.

Hi all, I'm planning on upgrading from my crappy C0 Clawhammer to the new Rev. E Newark 3700+. The only thing I'm worried about is the proper heatsink to purchase with this CPU as the die is naked on this CPU. Anyone else running a CPU with the IHS removed or a Newark to tell me what Heatsink they are using. Also if there is any special precautions/modifications I'll need to make to get proper contact and not destroy the die. Thanks for any help you guys can give. :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would any of the Zalman brand HS/F's work? Or no?
They (CNSP 7000B's) appear to use a backplate/bolt thru-hole mounting system which should allow you to remove the stock retention bracket and work. They wouldn't typically be the choice for any major overclock though. Scythe may have something with bolt on capability also. I think the choices are a bit limited. :rolleyes: Maybe someone else will offer a suggestion.

EDIT:Asetek VapoChill Micro removes the retention bracket and uses the existing backplate http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=160&type=expert&pid=4

If you are willing to sand down the retention bracket then most clip versions will work. You obviously have to make sure you reduce the height evenly and enough to allow good solid contact with the core. I said most because I have read (no experience personally) that some clip version hsf's can interfere with the retention bracket due to their size and inhibit good contact even when you sand the bracket down, I believe the Thermalright 120's can have this issue with the heatpipes coming out of the base.

No matter which route you take be careful to not nick the core when you mount it. I'd suggest checking the mount first with some cheap thermal paste and see that you are making good contact before you give her the juice..

PS: I'm interested to hear how it goes with the Newark!

Alienwhere and New-B have both had trouble with infineon based 1gig modules running that core so be aware of that if u plan to run 2X1 gig. Havent had the pleasure of tryin them myself yet but very soon Ill be workin em over with that rev e myself. Maybe Ill have better luck. So far Ive got em at 235X11 on this CG clawhammer but thats it for this core. Good luck and keep us posted guys.

Thanks for the tip about the memory, but I don't plan on going with any 2x1GB setup for this system. I'm very happy with my UTT BH-5 and I'll probably just stick with that.

It's my CPU as of right now that I'm not liking much. I'll probably take it out and build a nice running system for my dad. already have 2x512 of KVR sticks sitting around waiting to be used.

*Sorry for double post*

Hey guys I've been looking around newegg.com and found this bolt through design HS. Look here

Alpha PAL8150M81.

I've never heard of it, but it looks to be a nice and beefy sink. Although it's Aluminum based in comparison to copper. If this does seem to be a nice choice. Any suggestion on a fan to use along with it. Noise isn't really a big deal to me, but I'm not looking for my case to sound like a mean storm is brewing inside of it.

EDIT: On closer examination I see that it actually does come with an 80mm fan. I'm wondering if the dimensions will allow for a 92mm fan instead. Here are the dimensions 79x105x50. Seeing as the width only seems to be 79mm I'm going to assume that this will only be able to fully utilize an 80mm fan. Hoping someone who's more knowledgeable about aftermarket sinks might have some input on this though. Thanks in advance guys. :)

You should test an 80mm vs 92mm. The air flow pattern will obviously be different and might actually decrease performance with the bigger fan on some sinks. Swiftech's literature on the Swiftech MCX6400-V points out it is optimized both noise and performance-wise for an 80mm. Just need to check.

They (CNSP 7000B's) appear to use a backplate/bolt thru-hole mounting system which should allow you to remove the stock retention bracket and work. They wouldn't typically be the choice for any major overclock though.

I disagree with this statement about the 7000b's. I've been using one since I built this system, and it's been running a 50% O/C (800MHz) in a non-airconditioned place all summer, with a max observed temp of 51C during an OCCT run. Idle temp is 30-32C.

I'm a huge Thermalright fan - I've got 4-5 sinks of various models right now, including an SI-97 on my Socket "A" system. This is my first Zalman, and I've been impressed and pleased with it.

Back On Topic:

The 7000 uses a backplate/post system for mounting, and I think it would work fine with the bare Newark CPU without any issues.

Depends alot on the proc and it's tolerance and how far you're looking to push the voltage. My experience with Zalman's puts them in the middle of the pack to higher end when noise is taken into account, Also why I used typically to cover my behind... lol

Here's a decent look at 25 HSF: http://www.behardware.com/articles/568-1/t...pu-coolers.html

Folks pushing the 3GHz level with Newarks at Xtreme aren't doing it with Zalman's though. Depends on where you want to go.

Nice clock on the Sempy.

Get a zalman... I have used zalmans of both sizes on my nf3 250gb... and also with *my* newark 3700...

The bolt through works fine and it allows you to regulate the pressure on the chip much easier then any clip.

Also, take into account that the base of the zalman does not interfere with the socket when you are using a chip with no IHS (like your newark)