Unrelenting BSODs

Hmm....ok....I followed the 'official DFI cmos clearing procedure' and now this is what I dont understand.

I've set everything like you said too from the vcore, to the LTD to the chipset voltage...I even raised the HTT just now to 205 with no problems...but the thing that gets me...is that it seems that the only time that the computer will just randomly reboot right before the windows screen is when I adjust RAM timings =/

I don't understand why it'll reboot simply adjusting timings from what the board defaults it to which is 2-3-2-5-1T, to then changing it to 2.5-3-3-7-1T timings...that alone without raising the HTT or anything will cause it to reboot right before the windows loading screen.

However, if I leave those options to 'Auto' in which like I said it'll default to 2-3-2-5-1T it boots into windows no problem =/

Why would loosening the timings cause windows to reboot right before the loading screen, but actually putting MORE strain through the chips at tighter timings it loads just fine...I'm kind of at a loss for that one.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I think I've somewhat narrowed it down....for WHATEVER reason...I'm not allowed to change my cas latency.

I tried each number one by one to see if one specifically caused issues.

Put the trp to 3 from 2, booted up just fine, changed the tras to 7 from 5, booted up just fine, trcd to 3 (which is where this board defaults it to) boots just fine....changing the Cas latency to 2.5 leads to automatic reboot before windows loading screen even shows up, changing it to 3 shows the windows loading screen but quickly BSOD's...

I'm running 2-3-3-7-1T right now at 210MHz with 2.8v just fine....according to the manufacturer it can run 233MHz at 2-3-3-6-1T, but at 250MHz is where it needs to be 2.5-3-3-7-1T with 2.9v....well....being that for whatever reason this doesn't like me changing the cas latency I don't know whether to consider myself SOL or what.

Any clues as to why changing the CL of all things would cause such issues? It absolutely makes no sense to me

2x512 PDP SYS XBL PC3200 Samsung TCCD, BrainpowerPCB, 2-2-2-5-1T stock timings

I have 2 sticks of that stuff that act 'exactly' as you say and has been my intention to rma them since I have two sticks of the same stuff that work fine. The bad ones run 'only' cas2 and will not work AT ALL at cas2.5 to allow for what I felt were looser timings for more speed.

It has taken me two days of looking at your specs and something nagging in the back of my mind before I realized I 'had seen' your exact problems before and rememembered where> it was me. I got two other sticks of the same stuff and they worked fine though just not the first set.

RGone...

Ok I think I've somewhat narrowed it down....for WHATEVER reason...I'm not allowed to change my cas latency.

I tried each number one by one to see if one specifically caused issues.

Put the trp to 3 from 2, booted up just fine, changed the tras to 7 from 5, booted up just fine, trcd to 3 (which is where this board defaults it to) boots just fine....changing the Cas latency to 2.5 leads to automatic reboot before windows loading screen even shows up, changing it to 3 shows the windows loading screen but quickly BSOD's...

I'm running 2-3-3-7-1T right now at 210MHz with 2.8v just fine....according to the manufacturer it can run 233MHz at 2-3-3-6-1T, but at 250MHz is where it needs to be 2.5-3-3-7-1T with 2.9v....well....being that for whatever reason this doesn't like me changing the cas latency I don't know whether to consider myself SOL or what.

Any clues as to why changing the CL of all things would cause such issues? It absolutely makes no sense to me

This sounds like an SPD or compatabilty problem with your memory.

Does anyone have his PDP TCCD?

2x512 PDP SYS XBL PC3200 Samsung TCCD, BrainpowerPCB, 2-2-2-5-1T stock timings

I have 2 sticks of that stuff that act 'exactly' as you say and has been my intention to rma them since I have two sticks of the same stuff that work fine. The bad ones run 'only' cas2 and will not work AT ALL at cas2.5 to allow for what I felt were looser timings for more speed.

It has taken me two days of looking at your specs and something nagging in the back of my mind before I realized I 'had seen' your exact problems before and rememembered where> it was me. I got two other sticks of the same stuff and they worked fine though just not the first set.

RGone...

hmm that's crazy....was it on this board that you had those problems with as well or did it do that on various boards, because this is the first time I've come across this problem with these sticks.

I know people had pointed out my PSU, but it hadn't been acting like PSU related problems yet being that it was certain settings...especially now that I narrowed it down to simply being the cas latency that's causing all this...I suppose with around 2.9v or so I could get it up to 240MHz+ with 2-3-3-7-1T timings but I'd rather have 3-3-3-8-1T timings and hope for 250MHz+

Hmm, man that's a trip though that you have a pair that wont do anything beyond 2CL but another pair work fine....BTW, may I ask what you've gotten the 'good' pair up to?

And I'm assuming that you'd suggest I RMA these back to the manufacturer for some fresh sticks?

What exactly would I tell them, that the sticks simply won't work with anything but CL2 which doesn't allow me to use them up to the DDR533 which is under manufacturer specs?

Would that seem like a valid reason to RMA do ya think?

Thanks for your help and the fact that you said you've had a similar problem is a great insight.

For a second there I thought I had found the solution because I adjusted it to CL3 after changing the trc from 7 to 12 (I had seen it at 12 on a previous board, and the trfc was 14...and in the DFI Ram timings section it said generally the trc is 2 below the trfc) so after changing that, and the twr to 3 from 2, an DRAM Drive strength to level 1, it booted into windows...got to the desktop (this is at CL3) ...thought I had done it....tried to open CPU-Z and bam! BSOD =/

This sounds like an SPD or compatabilty problem with your memory.
it's just odd that these symptoms have never showed themselves until I put them in this board, only the CL affecting the system, thats an odd one

EDIT: I contacted tech support and relayed my problem to verify that it could be RMA'able but beyond that I also wanted to verify if they are infact still using the TCCD chips and not TCC5s...either way I should be hearing from them in a couple days....soooo now I just need to snag my 512mb of kingston valueRAM from my friend so I will have that to run in the machine if it comes time to RMA em

Same to me. My Ultra D only likes cl2 or cl3.

But who cares?

I care because mine only works at 2 and thats it...I wouldn't care if it'd work at CL3 but it doesn't....and now it's not wanting to even hold 220MHz within manufacturer specs so I definitely gotta get these RMA'd....it seems they are definitely the source of the problem as I'm running 220MHz with the 180 divider right now keeping em at PC3200 and it's running fine while I'm watching shows, sending e-mail, downloading via bittorrent, typing this and running prime95 large in place FFT's

Only problem is my tubing is in the way of the RAM slots...primarily the upper one, so it may be an 'interesting' ordeal to say the least trying to get the RAM in and out

Hmm, man that's a trip though that you have a pair that wont do anything beyond 2CL but another pair work fine....BTW, may I ask what you've gotten the 'good' pair up to? My second good pair do 295 pretty easily and that is way past there rating if you have the "400/533DDR" versions.

And I'm assuming that you'd suggest I RMA these back to the manufacturer for some fresh sticks? H*ll Yes

What exactly would I tell them, that the sticks simply won't work with anything but CL2 which doesn't allow me to use them up to the DDR533 which is under manufacturer specs? Sticks won't reach rated DDR533 ONE NOTE HERE THAT IS WHY I GOT THOSE STICKS because they had the dual rating. DDR400 and they don't overclock> shame on you and no sweat to the manufacturer.

Would that seem like a valid reason to RMA do ya think? VALID to ME

Thanks for your help and the fact that you said you've had a similar problem is a great insight. Took me days to remember what it was that was nagging at me when looking at your problem and signature.

Oh by the way I checked them in MY KNOWN BASELINE NF3 and they failed there as well for some odd reason and it only single channel.

RGone...

hmm that's crazy....was it on this board that you had those problems with as well or did it do that on various boards, because this is the first time I've come across this problem with these sticks.

I know people had pointed out my PSU, but it hadn't been acting like PSU related problems yet being that it was certain settings...especially now that I narrowed it down to simply being the cas latency that's causing all this...I suppose with around 2.9v or so I could get it up to 240MHz+ with 2-3-3-7-1T timings but I'd rather have 3-3-3-8-1T timings and hope for 250MHz+

Hmm, man that's a trip though that you have a pair that wont do anything beyond 2CL but another pair work fine....BTW, may I ask what you've gotten the 'good' pair up to?

And I'm assuming that you'd suggest I RMA these back to the manufacturer for some fresh sticks?

What exactly would I tell them, that the sticks simply won't work with anything but CL2 which doesn't allow me to use them up to the DDR533 which is under manufacturer specs?

Would that seem like a valid reason to RMA do ya think?

Thanks for your help and the fact that you said you've had a similar problem is a great insight.

For a second there I thought I had found the solution because I adjusted it to CL3 after changing the trc from 7 to 12 (I had seen it at 12 on a previous board, and the trfc was 14...and in the DFI Ram timings section it said generally the trc is 2 below the trfc) so after changing that, and the twr to 3 from 2, an DRAM Drive strength to level 1, it booted into windows...got to the desktop (this is at CL3) ...thought I had done it....tried to open CPU-Z and bam! BSOD =/

it's just odd that these symptoms have never showed themselves until I put them in this board, only the CL affecting the system, thats an odd one

EDIT: I contacted tech support and relayed my problem to verify that it could be RMA'able but beyond that I also wanted to verify if they are infact still using the TCCD chips and not TCC5s...either way I should be hearing from them in a couple days....soooo now I just need to snag my 512mb of kingston valueRAM from my friend so I will have that to run in the machine if it comes time to RMA em

Sata port 1&2 are not locked and your drives are on 1&2.

This might be the prob?

My drives are on Sata 1&2 however, before I even got this board I looked into the SATA ports and everything I read said that all 4 ports are locked...it's only on the Nf3 chipsets inwhich 1&2 are locked and you've gotta use 3&4

Rgone - This is the response I got back from my manufacturer...it wasn't an RMA request I just told them of my issue:

The memory module should run just fine as you manually set the CAS Latency to 2, 2.5 or 3 with the proper voltage setting. I recommend you try the DDR400, DDR500 and DDR533 again with just 1 memory module and check both module 1 at time. If you find 1 module to be bad and the other module is able to run any of the above speed. It tells you that 1 of the memory module is defective and we need to replace it. Now if you find both memory to be not working, it can be something wrong with the motherboard.

When you are running the test for the memory module, I recommend you run memtest86 for a cycle or 2. You can download memtest86 on our test utility website here http://www.patriotmem.com/support/utilitiesp.jsp

Finally if you find the memory to be defective, please provide me with the following information. We will replace the memory module for you.

Name

Shipping address

Telephone number

Product part number

Regards,

Tech support

So it seems they will be fully willing to accept it...just gotta do like he says and test each module. Also my RAM HAS to be acting up because I was using 2-3-3-7-1T timings with 2.8v and I was getting BSODs at 220MHz...manufacturer specs it at 2-3-3-6-1T at 2.8 at 233MHz, so somethings definitely up.

I have that same problem with my corsair, I cannot loosen the cas at all, I can lower it to 1, but to try 2.5 or 3, my system will not post. Does that mean I might need to rma my ram too?

well at the very least you'll get some fresh sticks :D

Took me all damn day to get to this thread, couldn't access the page....there were a few pages I couldn't access though thanks to a huge power outtage in LA

... nagging in the back of my mind before I realized I 'had seen' your exact problems before and rememembered where> it was me.

RGone...

I laughed my butt off when I read that part! I felt like I was in the room when you had that ZEN moment!!! :D