overclocking processor for the rest of my parts?

navyman04

im looking for a processor that will overclock decently but have some great performance as i play games. i am going to be doing some modifying to get better air circulation, cool the mosfets, better cool the chipset, add copper sinks to the mushkin with an active cooling such as an 80mm fan or larger, better cooling of the video cards, and i have an xp-120 with a panaflo 114cfm fan. i already have a 3000 venice but im lookin for somethin with more power up about $600. im interested in the x2 but im not sure about performance especially overclocked because i havent seen any benchmarks with specs close to mine. the ram will be running tight timings 2-2-2-5. i plan on doing a full burn in on the processor, ram, video cards, etc. if there is anything else i should do to get better cooling or such for overclocking please help.

im looking for a processor that will overclock decently but have some great performance as i play games. i am going to be doing some modifying to get better air circulation, cool the mosfets, better cool the chipset, add copper sinks to the mushkin with an active cooling such as an 80mm fan or larger, better cooling of the video cards, and i have an xp-120 with a panaflo 114cfm fan. i already have a 3000 venice but im lookin for somethin with more power up about $600. im interested in the x2 but im not sure about performance especially overclocked because i havent seen any benchmarks with specs close to mine. the ram will be running tight timings 2-2-2-5. i plan on doing a full burn in on the processor, ram, video cards, etc. if there is anything else i should do to get better cooling or such for overclocking please help.

I would get an x2, would go great with your dual 7800's.

fx-57's are very quick, but the x2 will be worth it in the long run.

ok on the power supply thanks for the info i wasnt aware of that. i chose the enermax noisetaker 600w. if there is a way better choice please point me in the right direction. im lookin to get good overclocks on pretty much everything. cpu, ram, and video cards. about the ram should i run from the 5v line or use the ocz ddr booster as i am going to change the cooling on the mosfets.

not to be stupid or anything but this case has a 120 in the front and back. and also a 120 and a 80mm on the side of the case what should these be set at for intake and exhaust to better cool. the 120 on the side is right next to both video cards and the 80 mm is right above the cpu fan.

PC P&C 510 SLI. You are buying some excellent hardware, get a proper psu to supply it!

If you dont wanna use the 5v rail but want to be able to give your ram over 3,2v you might wanna have a look at the OCZ 600w PSU. It has adjustable pots so you can increase the 3,3v rail and give ram over 3,2v without enabling 5v rail.

I dont like the booster because, under load, voltages fluctuate a lot (in me case) which caused instability. Im using 5v rail for months now, with active cooling on board and mem.

Good luck, you gonna like that rig :nod:

ok i guess i didnt notice the specs that it is a constant 510w not a peak. thats awesome thanks for the recommendation. i would get their 850w but im not ready to plunk down 450 for it. k i can use the 5v then becuase i am changing the sinks on the mosfets with copper ones and using a fan on the and also on the memory.

ok on the power supply thanks for the info i wasnt aware of that. i chose the enermax noisetaker 600w. if there is a way better choice please point me in the right direction. im lookin to get good overclocks on pretty much everything. cpu, ram, and video cards. about the ram should i run from the 5v line or use the ocz ddr booster as i am going to change the cooling on the mosfets.
The Enermax 600W is fine & more than enough! :nod:

A PC P&C 850 SSI is NOT recommended for your system :shake: as you don't have enough +5V load,

among many other issues.