Angry Fantasy NHL Hockey @ Yahoo Sports (free!)

Angry_Games

i get my hockey stuff locally this time (since I have no clue what size of anything I wear, I just buy it locally at new or used shops that I can try it on) or I get it free from some of the Steelhead players that have extras that will fit me.

after this year, where I will know what size of everything, then I can shop online at those stores and some of the great Ebay stores.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i get my hockey stuff locally this time (since I have no clue what size of anything I wear, I just buy it locally at new or used shops that I can try it on) or I get it free from some of the Steelhead players that have extras that will fit me.

after this year, where I will know what size of everything, then I can shop online at those stores and some of the great Ebay stores.

i would highly advise against buying a used helmet and...coinpurse protection if you know what i mean. otherwise, just look for the cheapest deals. Ocean is a GREAT store to order from. My brother just ordered a "girdle" from them (hockey pants that you put a shell over, so it looks like pants. VERY flexible and easy to skate in), and they had it to him in 1 day (we are close to them, but it is still very fast). what brand of stuff are you buying?

IMO bauer makes the best skates ( i have a high arch in my foot, and CCM just doesnt fit right). helmet, bauer or nike. gloves are your choice basically. shin guards, get some that will go over the tounge of your skate, but not too far down touching the laces. elbow pads, get something that will cover from the bottom of your shoulderpads to the top of your gloves. ( i dont like it this way, but it offers the most protection). socks and jersey, are you choice. to me, a neck guard is optional (much harder to breath with it on IMO). mouth guard, spring for a "shock doctor". what i usually wear underneath is thermals. very hot, but it kinda soaks up the sweat pretty nice. either thar or "under armor".

it is all very expensive, but its all worth it. you may not notice the difference now but your saftey IS important right? on one set of blades on my bauer skates, i get around 40-60 sharpenings. each time i sharpen my skates, is maybe once per three times on the ice. avoid hitting metal or walking on anything that isnt rubber or skating on ice.

also, depending on the position you want to play, your height and weight, you have have your skates "rockered" which will lean you a bit foward on your skates...which will give you a bit more moveability (if that is a word). for your stick, cut it whatever length you would like. general rule of thumb, defense usually has it a bit longer then a foward, (nose length instead of to the chin) but i always liked to cut it to my nose ( off skates). just some insight, hope it helps.

pb,out.

I know we have one professional hockey player here at the Street...does anyone else just play ice hockey as a hobby or activity like adult leagues or something? I'd be very interested to know (and yap with ya about stuff I don't know squat about and have to constantly annoy some of the Steelheads with dumb questions like "do you wear underwear under your jock-pants?" or "how come some hockey players tell me they don't wear socks with their skates???"

heh

booyah

I've been on skates 3 times

I suck at it

Hey Angry

I can probably help ya out with Hockey questions.

I'm the manager of High School Varsity Hockey Team my 4th year

I have Son who is a Senior, this is his 4th yr playing Varsity Level Before High School he played travel Hockey for 5 yrs

Hockey runs deep in the family blood around my house.

Socks thats all a matter of preferance, I happen to like socks, My son he doesnt wear socks & he likes his Skates two sizes smaller than his foot size.

Jock pants?? I dont think so Batman! Sorry AG, ya need a Cup!

Most of the kids wear boxer type short's that hold a cup,

The best protection is the old fasion Cup right on the Ole Nuts, if your shy under wear or shorts on top.

Most of these High School kid can shoot a puck in excess of 70 mph & couple knocking on the door step near 100 mph

The skates you bought are low end & offer minimal protection, probably O.K. for learning, for playing in the Beer league/Mens league try not to get a puck in the foot

I would only recommend preminum grade equiepment same as pros, as for skates, Good pair is around $400 all the good ones can be Hot Fitted

i would highly advise against buying a used helmet and...coinpurse protection if you know what i mean. otherwise, just look for the cheapest deals. Ocean is a GREAT store to order from. My brother just ordered a "girdle" from them (hockey pants that you put a shell over, so it looks like pants. VERY flexible and easy to skate in), and they had it to him in 1 day (we are close to them, but it is still very fast). what brand of stuff are you buying?

IMO bauer makes the best skates ( i have a high arch in my foot, and CCM just doesnt fit right). helmet, bauer or nike. gloves are your choice basically. shin guards, get some that will go over the tounge of your skate, but not too far down touching the laces. elbow pads, get something that will cover from the bottom of your shoulderpads to the top of your gloves. ( i dont like it this way, but it offers the most protection). socks and jersey, are you choice. to me, a neck guard is optional (much harder to breath with it on IMO). mouth guard, spring for a "shock doctor". what i usually wear underneath is thermals. very hot, but it kinda soaks up the sweat pretty nice. either thar or "under armor".

it is all very expensive, but its all worth it. you may not notice the difference now but your saftey IS important right? on one set of blades on my bauer skates, i get around 40-60 sharpenings. each time i sharpen my skates, is maybe once per three times on the ice. avoid hitting metal or walking on anything that isnt rubber or skating on ice.

also, depending on the position you want to play, your height and weight, you have have your skates "rockered" which will lean you a bit foward on your skates...which will give you a bit more moveability (if that is a word). for your stick, cut it whatever length you would like. general rule of thumb, defense usually has it a bit longer then a foward, (nose length instead of to the chin) but i always liked to cut it to my nose ( off skates). just some insight, hope it helps.

pb,out.

first, what i purchased (and I already went into this telling myself there are 4 absolute things that I will NOT buy used ever....skates, gloves, helmets, jocks...the rest of it can be used or donated to me)

Easton Synergy 500 skates (got excellent price on them and I really like them, and the few Steelheads that have seen them say they are nice for the price)

some wood 1-piece stick with a Peter Forsberg curve on the blade (I dont really care what kind of stick as long as it is wood, has a small curve....since I barely have ever been on skates and I see the composites breaking too much these days...I can't go spend $150+ for a stick every day from breaking mine trying to learn how to shoot or slapshoot)

Bauer 4000 helmet with metal cage (i considered full plexi shield but I'll get used to the metal mesh soon enough)

Easton Synergy 14" gloves

(i also have a pair of CCM 15" Tacks gloves that came right off the hands of a Steelheads player and I might try them out too even though they have been used...but i know the guy that used them lol)

still got to get the right jock/pants new but I'll get them before I actually start playing.

a couple of the Steelheads have all the elbow, knee, shoulder, etc pads + the outer pant/short with the protective linings etc as well as any more sticks or other stuff that I don't mind used.

I have been repeating the mantra to myself that I must learn to skate before I can play hockey...ie one must learn to crawl before one walks. Momma and I went again today and skated this time 45 minutes which is like a world record for me to do anything physical (haven't been active in about 5 years).

I'm going to continue going daily to skate for 45-60 minutes just light skating for another week or two, then i might start skating 60+, and then the beginner class on hockey basics (including skating) will begin again and I can 'power-up' like super mario eating a red mushroom ;)

Hey Angry

I can probably help ya out with Hockey questions.

I'm the manager of High School Varsity Hockey Team my 4th year

I have Son who is a Senior, this is his 4th yr playing Varsity Level Before High School he played travel Hockey for 5 yrs

Hockey runs deep in the family blood around my house.

Socks thats all a matter of preferance, I happen to like socks, My son he doesnt wear socks & he likes his Skates two sizes smaller than his foot size.

Jock pants?? I dont think so Batman! Sorry AG, ya need a Cup!

Most of the kids wear boxer type short's that hold a cup,

The best protection is the old fasion Cup right on the Ole Nuts, if your shy under wear or shorts on top.

Most of these High School kid can shoot a puck in excess of 70 mph & couple knocking on the door step near 100 mph

The skates you bought are low end & offer minimal protection, probably O.K. for learning, for playing in the Beer league/Mens league try not to get a puck in the foot

I would only recommend preminum grade equiepment same as pros, as for skates, Good pair is around $400 all the good ones can be Hot Fitted

lets see...jock/pants = your jock (cup) plus liner/pants...so that is what I have been recommended (by pro hockey players no less) to get. One also recommended if I think I might have a problem with weak groin or susceptible to groin pulls that I should wear spandex underneath.

I dont like boxer type stuff...too loose for me. I want to feel protected and most everyone on the Steelheads wears em firm, not loose like boxers.

The pro hockey players here that I know and/or are my customers have all told me that the skates I bought were excellent skates and there is absolutely no reason to buy anything foolish and useless like the 1300 series or their non-Easton equivalents (the $700+ skates that pro hockey players get to wear...I almost bought a pair of the 1300's directly from the team's equip mgr until all of the Steelheads told me they'd kick my butt if i did something so stupid).

Maybe you are like a lot of people I have met that are of the mind that buying the most expensive is always the best choice. But I have to say that real professional hockey players that I have talked to have all told me to stay away from the most expensive skates, sticks, gloves, etc.

They have all told me that I definitely want the best when it comes to helmets and pads, which is why they want to supply me with the pads and guards and told me to get the 4000 helmet (I also can get the real 'pro' CCM helmets that they wear in the ECHL if I really want one, but I like to buy my own stuff and learn from my mistakes).

So I truly apologize if I sound kinda harsh, but I've been told from the beginning by non-pro's that I got to buy this or that (most expensive usually) and how CCM is crap or Easton sucks or Bauer is a pile of junk etc. Over and over, just like computer hardware, they ram these opinions on you as if they were gospel fact

and then you talk to pro players, coaches, and equipment managers. And sure they are not in the NHL, but some of them have been there, and some of them are on the way there, and all of the players that are under 2-way contracts and high-end prospects are all at the NHL training camps...and every one of them have all told me that those opinions that I previously stated are so wrong and so foolish...I don't need to listen to them when I'm being told that my skates are welfare and my stick is ghetto and my helmet suxorz and my gloves are cheaper than Isotoners etc.

And like in computer stuff, I tend to get a bit...pissed off...when people just throw such opinions out there and they honestly are not as 'in the know' as the guys who get paid to play hockey every night in front of crowds.

So again, no offense, but it sorta burns me when people just tell me i bought low-rent equipment that is not safe and yet real professional players tell me the exact opposite, recommended them in fact, and have all assured me beyond a doubt that my skates are more than good enough to stop a fast moving puck and that if the puck is moving so fast as to hurt me, then it would hurt them too in their $700+ super skates...

So again, no offense, but it sorta burns me when people just tell me i bought low-rent equipment that is not safe and yet real professional players tell me the exact opposite, recommended them in fact, and have all assured me beyond a doubt that my skates are more than good enough to stop a fast moving puck and that if the puck is moving so fast as to hurt me, then it would hurt them too in their $700+ super skates...

No offense taken.

I think you have twisted my words a bit , I didnt say Low rent nor did I mean to relay that.

Everyone has Opnions some better than others, at least your smart enough to ask questions.

Good Luck!

I hate Breaking in new skates.

skates, no matter what the price will not guard your feet 100%. no matter how fast the puck is going when it hits your foot, your foot stopped that puck, and it WILL hurt. i love bauer skates, fit me perfectly. from what i have heard in the past, Easton has a nice line of skates out, same with their sticks. i love sher-wood "LeClair" curve, iron carbon 9950..it is my favorite.

i dont know if you pointed this at me...

Maybe you are like a lot of people I have met that are of the mind that buying the most expensive is always the best choice.

...but it most definitely isnt. I have all ranges of equipment, randing from i cant believe i just bought these skates for $550..or wow..$75! the only difference I have seen is the length of time the product lasts (sticks are different, obviously) you will want a nice helmet though. Nike owns Bauer, and Bauer bought Cooper back in the day, so their helmets will mainly look the same, just a different logo. CCM has a nice helmet, with a type of "anti-concussion" mechanism in the back of it, but I found it to be very uncomfortable and their foam padding on the inside kept falling out.

I am like you though AG..always trying stuff my way before listening to others...but remember this... YOU are wearing the equipment, not them. So when they tell you X is better then Y, but Z is better then everything else, its up to YOU to decide what feels most comfortable, and what you can afford. also, those $700 pair of skates..may not fit you right, or will kill your feet even after they are broken in correctly..so even then, you must decide what is right for YOU. anyone can give an opinion, but its up to you to decide what works best.

pb, out.

• 1 month later...