ULI chipset on DFI boards?

G.N.U.Fragman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

performance is down significantly

History repeats.

So you found one review that shows this budget board to be a whole 5% slower in one benchmark than a top of the line enthusiast Abit Fatality AN8 which costs 3X as much. And you immediately dismissed all the other reviews that show the M1695 to be just as fast as current Socket 939 ATI/Nv based boards. Wow.

If you bothered to actually read the article, you would have noticed that THG was deliberately looking for any little thing to point out as a drawback.

The board is virtually inundated with info stickers: "Please do not use 3.3V AGP cards," "Future CPU port available," "SATA hot plugging not supported due to chipset limitations", etc. In the process, the manufacturer chaotically mixed in the really important pointers with mere references to features.

Who the heck cares about too many warning stickers? Is this really so important that it warrants multiple references in a review? (and it wasn't so much a review as an overview). It's better to have the warning stickers there than not, don't you think?

Four USB 2.0 ports are located in the back panel and four more can be activated if needed. A corresponding adapter cable has to be bought separately, however, since the package contents are meager, basically the minimum typical of budget boards.

Since this board can be found for under $70 instead of the $200+ pricetag for an Abit Fatality AN8, I think ASRock can be forgiven that they didn't include it. Four USB 2.0 ports on a motherboard is quite a few already.

Sorry, but I tend to side with the majority of testing results rather than the minority. The M1695 is already a success and I hope DFI (or some other company) produces an overclockers board based on it. Whichever company does will get my $$$ (and that of many others, I suspect).