ULI chipset on DFI boards?

G.N.U.Fragman

Just an idea...

is there any plans for DFI to make a board with the new ULi chipset, that can use both pci-e sli and AGP.....and rumors tells a socket kit for M2 will be availeble when M2 cpus reaches market....

if you dont have a clue on what i am writing about here is an example:

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2: http://www.edbpriser.dk/Listprices.asp?ID=151598

problem with THAT mobo is no real voltage options for RAM or cpu, so OCing is pretty limited, but the chipset itself is capable of 400FSB......pretty much a real dreamchipset for DFI.......

I know multiple producers will make boards with it, but has DFI given it any thought?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Angry or RGone get a working product in their hands, they will let us know.

True that.

It really doesnt seem the DFI style you will need to make a compromise in the AGP ote the PCIX performance. DFI makes a pefrectly very good AGP board and PCI-x board.

ok thats what i wanted to know.......understand the reasons for it, but a lot of my friends still uses AGP cards (gf6800GT/U and ati x800XT) and they buy msi neo2 and so on when they changes to new mobos......therefor i could see a market for it......the 939 nf3 board really doesnt have a good reputation here......

i would buy a Socket 754 NF3 DFI Lanparty board in a heartbeat if I had an AGP card to worry about.

I still think they are the best boards we ever made (personal opinion)

you don't need dual channel memory to get the same cpu performance out of a 754 as a 939

i would buy a Socket 754 NF3 DFI Lanparty board in a heartbeat if I had an AGP card to worry about.

I still think they are the best boards we ever made (personal opinion)

you don't need dual channel memory to get the same cpu performance out of a 754 as a 939

That was pretty much what I was thinking of when I was thingking of a good AGP board though good seems like a bit of an understatement.

we dont have any plans for a hybrid (AGP + PCI-E) board though (they always end up being crappy when you do hybrid designs)

According to AT and other sites, this ULI chipset is the only one that doesn't compromise AGP performance.

"This ULi chipset is the only one that we have seen on PCIe that provides AGP 8X without compromises. As we found, those of you who want to take your high-end AGP card to a new PCIe board will be ecstatic over the performance of your AGP video card on the ULi board. The conclusion was simple - if you want to use AGP and have PCI Express for the future, the ULi M1695/M1567 is your only real choice. "

"It is clear, after our testing of both ULi Reference and ASRock boards, that the ULi M1695/M1567 is capable of both top AGP performance and top PCIe performance. This means the ULi boards have proven that they can be tops in both areas. The capabilities are there with the ULi chipset, but it is up to the manufacturer to tweak the BIOS and/or board to achieve top performance."

Anandtech ULI M1695 Reference 1 review

Anandtech ULI M1695 Reference 2 review

Anandtech ASRock 939Dual-Sata2 review

Even though people usually equate ULI with low cost entry level products, this new chipset is anything but. It would be a shame for DFI miss out on the opportunity to produce an enthusiast board based on this high performance/versatile chipset. There are many AGP 6800/X800 users out there just waiting for an enthusiast S939 AGP/PCI-E board.

According to AT and other sites, this ULI chipset is the only one that doesn't compromise AGP performance.

"This ULi chipset is the only one that we have seen on PCIe that provides AGP 8X without compromises. As we found, those of you who want to take your high-end AGP card to a new PCIe board will be ecstatic over the performance of your AGP video card on the ULi board. The conclusion was simple - if you want to use AGP and have PCI Express for the future, the ULi M1695/M1567 is your only real choice. "

"It is clear, after our testing of both ULi Reference and ASRock boards, that the ULi M1695/M1567 is capable of both top AGP performance and top PCIe performance. This means the ULi boards have proven that they can be tops in both areas. The capabilities are there with the ULi chipset, but it is up to the manufacturer to tweak the BIOS and/or board to achieve top performance."

Anandtech ULI M1695 Reference 1 review

Anandtech ULI M1695 Reference 2 review

Anandtech ASRock 939Dual-Sata2 review

Even though people usually equate ULI with low cost entry level products, this new chipset is anything but. It would be a shame for DFI miss out on the opportunity to produce an enthusiast board based on this high performance/versatile chipset. There are many AGP 6800/X800 users out there just waiting for an enthusiast S939 AGP/PCI-E board.

You beat me to it. I just read that article or most of it. With very limited adjustments it could be very hit and miss for the average user and diffrent memory etc. Funny it beats the Asus SLI board in most areas pretty surprising that this is or was a dauter company of Asus.

anandtech could say it is made of gold and if you use it you will get checks for $5,000 every day in the mail and I wouldn't care

ive had too many bad experiences with 'hybrid' boards like this, and I have no interest in a hybrid board now (even if we build one, I will do everything possible to make sure we do not sell it here in the USA)