Blow Or Suck ;)

nacster

hyaz all

i have a question (havent we all ;)

i got the side off my case at the moment (prefer it tht way 4 the time being)

have 2 80mm fans strapped with cable tidys to certain points on the case

which is better

1) blowing cold air into the case

2) sucking hot air out of the case

thx in advance

personally i design my cases with a specific airflow in mind. i usually put a piece of dryer hose (the big weird floppy kind) from the side panel fan right on top of the processor. this lowers my temps 5-10c by putting cold air right on top of the processor. besides that i usually put a fan in the front of the case sucking cold air in, and a fan in the back of the case blowing warm air out. the power supply also blows out warm air, so it get a good airflow from front to back. if i put a blowhole on top, it changes the airflow from bottom front towards top of the back a bit (if that makes sense). since hot air rises, the blowhole on top blows out the hot air pretty effectivly.

anyways, ive found that having all your fans cooperate to create a nice airflow can seriously help the ambiant case temp. if you have good airflow already, then you can put that side panel fan to use cooling only the processor.

one more thing, the side panel fan duct thingy that ive rigged up doesnt mean you dont need a processor fan lol

You should either have a specific airflow in mind, with some fans on one side blowing in and other fans on the other side blowing out.

If you don't have that, you want all fans blowing out if these fans are close to the CPU or graphics card. Because there will always be enough air leaking in all over the case.

Guest Blooz1

What IS the case? Not mentioned in yer sig?

As people have said, you'll be much better off with an organized airflow pattern than running with the side off and relying on convection cooling.

oh one other thing, i usually have it sucking in the front and blowing in the back because the back is usually under a desk and would suck in a lot of dust.

i would assume in a 'pressurised case' there would be plenty of air swirling around, and therefore transferring heat away from components (thus cooling them). in a 'vacuum' i assume that there wouldnt be enough air, thus no heat transfer. there should be an equal amount of air being sucking in and blow out for good effect.

i would assume in a 'pressurised case' there would be plenty of air swirling around, and therefore transferring heat away from components (thus cooling them). in a 'vacuum' i assume that there wouldnt be enough air, thus no heat transfer. there should be an equal amount of air being sucking in and blow out for good effect.

That's what I thought, more air in the air so to speak. Although I will agree that you need a good flow. I also have my case setup so that theoretically the air travels from the bottom front of the case to the top rear, exiting out of the top of the rear of the case and the top itself. Air enters the case at (as I stated previously) the bottom front (1 fan) and the left side (3 fans). There are 3 exhuast fans, one in the rear in the case, 1 in the power supply and 1 in the top of the case.

pressurising the internal case by intaking external cold air forces the hot existing air inside the case out of every little whole on the case (not only the exhaust fans).

In addition to this, it also prevents dust from entering the case as air is being forced out of every hole of the case at any given time.

Given that your intake filters are relatively descent, you should have a pretty clean case and good air flow.

I have Lian Li PC60 with 2 intake at HD bay, 1 rear exhaust and 1 120mm for chipset, cpu and and my boiling 7800. It seems to stay relatively clean inside the case and all i have to do is occassionally clean the intake filters from the 120mm and 2 HD ones.

i have the ultimate ram/cpu/chipset cooling in my case =]

i got 4 of the best high powered fans.

2 panasonic panaflo's... 120mm (114 CFM)

1 80mm vantec tornado

1 92mm vantec tornado.

i replaced my stock 80mm with the 80mm tornado, and put it as exaust (front)

i put the 92mm on my XP-90 for ultimate cooling, and placed the heatsink so it bays over one stick of ram, with the tornados power thats ultimately cool.

replaced stock 120mm with panaflo in the back as intake, and made my own mod to mount a 120mm fan (panaflo) right aligned with the other 120mm in 3 drive bays so the fresh air comes in, and goes out, and with the power of the panaflo (intake) it pushes the hot air away from the ram :)

tada!

ive got yet to try it with my new sleeved PSU tonight :)

Coolermaster Centurion 5!

Tom