NF4 Ultra D> bizarre issue....

Hi all,

Well if anyone can sort this bizarre problem out then you are a genius..

First off everything was running fine beforehand on 3-10 bios even when overclocked.

This is what I did:

I updated to 623-3 a few weeks ago, Reset all bios settings and left it running at the default setting (IE not over clocked) other stuff I have plugged into the PC are a USB Creative Webcam and a USB Saitek Rumble pad.

Yesterday, I deceide that everything was nice and stable with the new BIOS and decided to at least overclock to what I had it at before (See sig), so I set all the settings in the BIOS and windows started to boot, and then went to a blank screen.

"Ok" I thought, "this is probably a new BIOS issue and I need to mess with some timings, but Im off for the rest of the weekend away so I'll set it back to defaults and try again when I have more time"

So I did, and STILL the PC did not boot. Same issue... Tried several times (even to safe mode) and thought "Feck, my Windows install is corrupted due to the overclock. Oh well sod it I'll do it tomorrow when I come back (install windows)"

So off I went for the evening and came back late this afternoon... Turned the PC on and got all my disks ready for a re-install, but wait!!! Windows booted fine... Weird... So I booted it again just to make sure and yet again it worked...

Ok So I'll try the overclock again... again locked up (even at 2.1ghz only a 10% overclock!!) again I could not get the computer to boot... so I unplugged some easily accessable devices. Well Its been narrowed down to the Saitek Rumble pad. if that little bugger is plugged in and its even SLIGHTLY overclocked then windows wont boot.. If I plug it in after its booted, then fine the joypad works, BUT once I reboot with it plugged in then it fails... I even disabled USB 2.0 in bios so its only USB1:1 (I dont have any USB 2 devices anyway). and still no joy... :confused:

If I get it to boot with the default stock clock speeds, and plug the joy pad in and reboot it boots again fine... its only when I overclock (even a slight overclock) with the damn Joypad in with the new BIOS where I get this issue. Its an annoying one yes, and probably one I can live with, but if anyone else has had similar issues it would put me out of my misery in thinking im going insane...

Remember this all worked before with the old 3-10 bios...

Anyone any ideas?

PS Other things to know.. Im using Nvidia 6.66 Chipset drivers.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why did you flash to the 623 bios if the 310s were fine?

Because Im one of those people who likes to keep things up to date.. and like I said it was all working at the stock speeds SO decided to try to overclock again. and I am thinking of getting an X2 in the near future so I wanted to make sure that the board was all set.

Well, total n00b here with DFI stuff, my Ultra-D isn't even built yet, but I can tell you that I have had terrible problems with a Creative Webcam.

Got one for my daughter, worked for a while then started crashing the PC every time it was plugged in .... immedeate BSOD. Never figured why it started happening suddenly. Even whithout the Webcam the comp remained generally unstable until I removed all the Creative bloatware that came with the Webcam. Then things were OK.

Went through the same procedure on my comp (A7N8X at the time) - worked for a while, then started giving BSOD, then had too clean out the Creative software to get things back to normal.

Maybe you could try the same.

Well just for crap and grins I tried what you suggested and still a no go.. Interestingly enough I tried removing all USB devices (except my mouse and Joypad) and its still not booting... As soon as I remove the joypad it boots. If I move the joypad it boots until it redetects the joypad and reboot, then again no go...

So I have boiled it down to 2 things now...

1) My Joypad is FUBAR

2) MY PSU is shitting the bed and does not like it anymore

on another side note, I can now no longer get it to work with the default settings. The only thing left to try I guess is to re-install windows to see if that cures it.

Anyone has any other suggestions, let me know

It may not be the joy pad, I'm having similar issues but with a Seagate 300g external drive. If it's connected to the USB, it posts but hangs before booting into windows. I unplug it from the USB port and reboot and viola, it works fine. I just got the board and set set it all up, so I'm hoping it's just a bios setting to fix it.

It may not be the joy pad, I'm having similar issues but with a Seagate 300g external drive. If it's connected to the USB, it posts but hangs before booting into windows. I unplug it from the USB port and reboot and viola, it works fine. I just got the board and set set it all up, so I'm hoping it's just a bios setting to fix it.

You need to turn off boot from other in the bios..If its plugged in its trying ot boot that before your harddrive.. Cause it see floppy as removable and removable=usb device..

Yeah, what PSU do you have? It's not in your sig?

The PSU is nothing special its a 480w that came with the case. I AM after replacing it, but I just dont have the spare 100+ bucks I need for a really good one right now, due to having to pay INS $200 for my green card renewal form (bastards they have already have had like $4,000 + off me and my wife Im sure they could have given me that for free FFS). Like I said this was all working fine on 3.10 BIOS with the same hardware and the 230 mhz overclock. Im kinda leaning away from the PSU right now, as even though its a POS one, it has been working like a trooper since I got the thing way back in december before I got all my AMD/DFI stuff (It was running a Pentium 4 for a while too)

I think I might just try a beta BIOS or just downgrade to 3-10 and see if that cures it. Thing is I hate updating the BIOS on this board. It loses all your settings and its not like its a few seconds just to put it all abck in again, but right now I'm willing to give it a try. (I know you are all saying Boo-F'ing- waaah)

I have also tried different ports (as stated in my post above) and Windows detects, installs the joypad and it works 100%, but as soon as I reboot with the joypad in the new port, then it will not boot into windows. And as stated before I have unplugged all my other USB devices that I can do without.

My total list of USB Devices, just for the interested

HP 1350 all in one printer.

Creative Webcam.

Microsoft Optical Mouse.

Saitek Rumbleforce Joypad.

On a completely unrelated side topic, I also have an issue with my Video card displaying using the DVI port. This all worked when I first got my monitor back in feb/march but I have been using D-sub due to it being able to use a higher refresh (75hz compared to 60hz). But I wanted to try it out again and I unplugged the DSub and plugged DVI in, set my monitor to use the DVI signal and I dont see a damn thing, wont even go into the BIOS (the computer boots, I just get no display).. any ideas on that issue too would be greatly appreciated. Rememeber this shoudl NOT be a windows issue as it should work on DVI on POST screens, which it doesnt....

Tried turning off the "Boot other device" in the bios and same story. I thought it may have worked this morning when I tried it before work but when I got back home and fired it up it froze up just like it did before. This only happens on a cold boot, never on a reset. I'm seeing more and more threads with people having the same problem with various USB devices so I'm pretty sure it has to be an issue with the board or one of the bios settings.