my first lan-party

Wetchaser

Looks like im gonna take my rig to a lan-party. Most of the games they play do not interest me, but a dedicated BF2 server is going to be up, so ill go. Now i have to make this case look presentable. Man i have wires everywere. Can i just buy and assortment of butt connectors to shorten them with, or is this going to cause resistance in places i dont want it? I feel like ive asked this once before:confused:

I wouldnt start cutting and connecting wires with butt connectors.. Ive redone some of my wires but they are soldered together and heatshrinked..

Just get some zip ties, then tie them up and away..

Two good spots to stuff unwanted wires is behind the mobo tray and behind a floppy drive cage..

i have run a test to see the differance in temps. I know you gurus know how to run 2 instances of prime 95, but i unfourtunatly being a newb do not. So to make sure i was using 100% cpu resorces, i used prime 95 and distributed.net's folding programs. The following ss's are the result.

coveroff4sz.th.jpg

coveron5df.th.jpg

i see a 4º incease, and have to wonder if this is really any reason to leave cover off while at the lan. I would prefer to have it on, so my case would be locked when i walk away for anything.

Mind you this test was performed with cpu, and case fans at max speed.

Ok we got home around midnight last night, and it was fun i guess. Towards end of party i was about as bored as a person could get. BF2 ruled the roost, and i am about played out of that game. It was fun first 8 hours...lol. No doubt in my mind i learned a few things.

1.BF2 will use as much ram as u have. 1 gig is most certainly not enough. Guy next to me had 4 gig, and 4 sata drives stripped 0. That is the ultimate gamers set up there. The game loaded so fast, and graphics were so sweet. I was beating most on the load ins, but i had to park next to the guy who could stomp me in this bad.

2. Shuttles suck, dont ever waste your money on them. Support is basically nill if you have an older model. Yea you can get a fast one going, but let me see you keep it fast as new games demand. Kinda hard with the limited selection of mobo's out that are specific to fit certain cases.

3. I love my chair, glad i brought it. Was funny watching guys get up, and rub there butt. My kid and i were laughing everytime we both saw some one get up.

4. Dont leave your extension cord, and surge protector home. Then you have to go buy another one :(

5. Bring a sweatshirt, in case AC is busting a gut. I swear it was 60ºF in there.

All in all we had a good time, but i couldnt understand a word the guy next to me said damn near all night. Really had mumbling down to a science. I played introvert to a t, and already regret not being more out going. Most conversation i had with anyone was when i got tired of playing BF2, and started playing some Doom3 add on maps ive been meaning to try. Maps were actually quite good singleplayer maps, and had a small crowd watching me and the new monsters. So the brainiac i am gets lost in the level, and cant figure out how to continue, and they all leave. LOL.

At door prize time i won a Apollp Nvidia GeForce FX 5300 128mb pci card. Anyone need a card? lol. This thing looks really lame. Im trying to figure out why someone would get a pci express board, and put junk like this in it?

My boy had a great time, so that makes me quite happy.

robertatlan1uy.th.gif

robertbf2lan5im.th.gif

I learned how to get my rig ready for the road, so thats good as well.

ready1zz.th.gif

Computer worked great, had no technical problems, and no suprises. Was amazed at some of the people there who worked on there computer more then they played. Was also amazed that there was no TeamSpeak or Ventrillo server going.

Will i go again? Right now i say no, but i will keep a channel open on there forums, and if i can make a few gaming buddies out of some them, then i probably will. Right now i feel the internet gives me a good enough connection, that a lan is just not so much better thats its soley worth it for that reason. I was pretty bored most of the day/night, and only stayed because my son was having a blast playing all the games on the rented machine.

save up and go to the really big ones like the Newegg lan, the PDXLAN, and a couple of the really big east coast ones

but

in my opinion

these big organized lanparties are just not as fun as when you get 8-20 people together somewhere and just play all kinds of games together etc

your son looks like he was having an awesome time.

quality time for the male members of the family. will be telling all his buddies how you kickedaz.

Never been to a LAN Party. Do they have a "seniors" version with Geritol shots and sheet? :nod:

LAN parties are exactly that, a party. A party requires interation between people! I have SO MUCH more fun at a LAN where I actually get to associate with that people I'm fragging. There's just something about jumping up after a game winning frag and calling out the pansy losers! ... sorry, got a little carried away there... I'm just really competitive!

I have more fun at the big LAN parties when I BRING the 20 or so friends that come to the regular LAN party. This way you can arrage team battles and stuff. Kinda like "Poppy's LAN group" vs. "Angry_Games' LAN group". Adds an extra element of "in your face" competition.

My advice would be to get involved in a small-mid size LAN around your area. Then, when the big ones roll around, you take your small group to the big LAN and stay on the same team to fight the other small LAN groups that show up! It's LOADS of fun!

Oh, and it's an unwritten rule that you have to drink one gallon of BAWLS at a LAN.

(Ok, I'm making that last part up, but you get the picture!)