Looking for RAM opinions.

Looking for opinions between these two:

Gold with the new UTT BH5s

OR

EL Plat Rev2 with TCC5s

I know they cost more, but I'm leaning toward the TCC5s atm. $170 is the most I want to spend (more, really heh).

I have the board to push high volts, but I'm not sure I want to. I'm thinking I can get more out of the TCC5s with less voltage and therefore less heat to deal with. I want to go stable at at least 2.7Ghz, not afraid to use a divider.

Any thoughts?

Guest bobyjo

Old Guy and several others are running 2x512 Patriot XBLK sticks and seem to be extremely happy with the performance of them.

You may want to look him up and send a PM and ask him.

Right now NewEgg has these sticks priced at $160.00 for the matched pair.

The OCZ 3200 Gold BH5 that you have listed as your first option is superb RAM. I use that, RGone uses that, and a lot of other people on this forum use it. It is just amazing RAM for the price and there is a $15 sale on it on Newegg atm.

I just ordered another 1GB it is so good. I would suggest this RAM for anyone that can push a little bit of voltage through them, as you can.

Good luck with your RAM decision!

Magik

Doing a cursory check of the OC DB, it looks like super high Vdimm and BH-5 is the only way to hit around a 250Mhz clock with RAM and keep it at 2-2-2-5.

At 250Mhz and above, it looks like the TCC5 likes a top of more like 2.8 and needs a CAS back at 2.5. However, it also seems to clock up over 275 really well.

Sort of a toss up I guess. I am not thrilled about cooling dimms that need 3.4v+, but I don't know if it's worth $50 to me to get the TCC5 and have less heat to worry about.

Hmmmm. Definitely some things to consider hehe.

I have the PC3200 GOLD 2-2-2-5...I can not get it stable at all at 229mhz...I tried 3.4v...

so using a high voltage with this ram is no guarantee...

I have not been able to get it stable to with any timings let alone tight timings with this new BH5...

I have not been able to get it stable to with any timings let alone tight timings with this new BH5...

not to half hijack this thread, but neal, have you tried all the other settings besides the first 4 and voltage? There are several others that are real important to having a good stable OC.

Guest bobyjo

The A64 Tweaker is surpurb for this.

Set everything at optomized defaults and then run A64 Tweaker.

Then print out the page of settings.

Next set your divider to 100,133, etc go ahead and set up your bios for a good OC.

Then go to ram settings and look at ther changes that are present.

Some of these settings are the reason you cannot get your system stable.

See how many settings you can change to where they were when you were running the fsb at 200.

Set these and save, check the box where it says load at startup.

You should be good to go.

The gold at new egg is a $15 mail in rebate,the price is $139.50.Its not a sale off the price.

The ram id say its a toss up also.Iam looking into new ram and sence i have 1 gig of mushkin 3500 bh5 & 1 gig of corsair 3500Bh5 and 2x256 3200LL 1.1 corsair Bh5 iam going to try the TCC5.I been doing some research on BH5 & TCCD & TCC5 memory and the Samsung chips seam to give a much higher clock with less volts.I know my BH5 realy likes them and i realy dont like pussing my system as high as they like to run.They both have there advantages.

Guest bobyjo

My Mushkin is the HiPerf Blue 2x512mb Cl2 memory, but I have no idea what chips are contained in the sticks. If anyone else knows, I would appreciate letting me know what they are. I also have 2x256mb Black Extreme Performance 11, I was thinking these had BH5 chips, I don't see anything like BH5 on them anywhere. I have used Mushkin for quite a long time, always had good performance out of them. This DFI board is a little different with what memory is installed. It defiantely matters how the board performans, even moreso than other boards. IMO::

not to half hijack this thread, but neal, have you tried all the other settings besides the first 4 and voltage? There are several others that are real important to having a good stable OC.

crap I have been trying for almost a week now

cas 2-2-2-5-1t-13-16-03-03-02-02-3120-auto-enable-0-auto-8ns normal-6ns

I have changed to 2-3-2-6,3-3-3-8,2.5-3-3-7,2-3-3-7

I have used 3120,2560,1816,1560,0648,

I have tried 2.8-3.4 v....I have tried so many different combinations I cant recall all of them....

I have used OCZ recommendation

I can run 2hrs + 2-2-2-51t on 150 divider=196mhz, I ran tonight quick test 2.5-3-3-7 2.9v with 166(229mhz)

crashed 2.9v after 4passes 2-3-3-7 at 229mhz....trying 3.0v..but doubt it will fly

the ram does not seem to like high vdimms as recommended seems to crash faster

I am leaning toward a return..eating restocking fee and get ocz pc3200 plat rev 2...hoping to 230mhz