WaterCooling - Pump and rad 6.4mm (1/4

M3NF

Ok i kinda of got myself in a problem, after reading on here alot about water cooling i thought i get myself into it also.

I just ordered a few parts from thermaltake, mainly for looks thou, there aquabay range as it make my case more visual looking.

Aquabay M1 flow metre + the Aquabay M3 Res tank.

Now my problems is that these units use 6.4mm (1/4

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sell it all now... a Tt set up will barely cool the CPU, and will suck with a single 120 rad, and will be almost the worst solution ever when trying CPU+GPU

sell it all now... a Tt set up will barely cool the CPU, and will suck with a single 120 rad, and will be almost the worst solution ever when trying CPU+GPU

:withstupid: I dont know where you read 1/4" was ok either :unsure: . I had a 1/4" Koolance pump and case it does good to cool a Northbrige chip by itself much less a cpu and video card. I would cancel the order or send it back...

Sorry to rain on the parade, but I'm going to agree with the above. 1/4" lines are a waste of time. Either get some high-end water parts, or just get a good air cooler and be done with it.

:withstupid: I don't know how much you paid, but you'd probably get better results spending $60 on a CPU HSF and $30 on a video card HSF. You'd need to spend over $200 for watercooling to be worthwhile. If you want help picking out parts for a new WC setup, I'd be happy to make some suggestions. :)

Well i been looking using these items along side a D5 pump and a single 120 rad, i have got room for more rads but not a 240 size, so i could mount 2 x 120 rads within the unit to help more, but my guess it that still is going to limit due to pipe size, i got the impression that the pipe size will not make a large differnce thou.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=263360

So if i use the 2 items i have along side a good D5 pump and 2 120 rads would this be ok ?

Well i been looking using these items along side a D5 pump and a single 120 rad, i have got room for more rads but not a 240 size, so i could mount 2 x 120 rads within the unit to help more, but my guess it that still is going to limit due to pipe size, i got the impression that the pipe size will not make a large differnce thou.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=263360

So if i use the 2 items i have along side a good D5 pump and 2 120 rads would this be ok ?

Well, according to that article tubing size doesn't make too much of a difference. And I trust the author, so I guess it's not that big of a deal... But it really doesn't cost any more to use 1/2" or 7/16" tubing and you get increased performance. That's what I'd do.

Are you talking about running two separate loops? Or one with two pumps and two rads?

Since you don't have a lot of room in your case, I'd suggest a Thermochill PA160, a D5 or DDC+ (better choice), and a good block (or two). The PA160 will outperform most other 240mm radiators and can handle a CPU and GPU block. Now, that said, I don't really know what you already bought and what you're thinking about buying.

I'll be honest i only brought the flow meter and res tank, the aquabay ones, mainly because the of the look of them, they matched very well with my current look. I not purchased nothin else yet at all, and being new to water cooling i not sure what system i had planned, i was first just going to buy the parts, (the good stuff :P) and then ask for help on good ways to set it up along with pic of case for help. I not sure if 1 or 2 loop system yet, and be honest i need to look into that cause i not clued up there, and how it would work for me. I was planning on the one loop, with the option of 2 rads.

At current i only wish to water cool the CPU, nothin else, but i want to be able later on to cool the GPU, when i happy with the result on CPU. So the parts i purchase now need to be able to work for that, i dont mind adding more to them, but they need to be furture proof for it.

The pump i been told best if D5, so that looks like that will be the pump, as for rad well looking at the cost of the Thermochill PA160 its sure costs more than a 240 :) so i hope it would be a good call for that as my rad, i could again add another one later in line, as i can mount 2 120 rads in my case but not get away with a 240 :(. As for block, well not sorted that one yet but so far again from ppl help its looking towards the D-Tek FuZion, but again open to ideas.

Many best to get some Pics of my current setup, and you can see what i mean for space, you lot have a HUGE amount more knowlegde that myself so there be a better chance you can see what would work and what would not.

Yes, I'd like to see a picture of your case with everything installed so I can make better suggestions. If you want to see how I've got my loop setup, pics are here: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...si&img=1206. The parts I used are in my sig. What is your budget for this? Where do you live? (so I can suggest websites to buy from)

I'll post again later today with some suggestions. :) In the mean time, here's a little bit of background reading for you: (I may not agree with all of the part suggestions, but the information is still valid.)

general watercooling - http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62974

radiator testing - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77260

somewhat dated, but still useful part recommendations - http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/584...components.html

Edited by Bleeble

Danm your set up look alot better than i thought it would, you given me the idea there on ya Rad location, PERFECT. Thats real great to see what can be done.

Ok i uploaded some pics to show you my case, My System.

Looks like i may be able to do simular to yours i think, thou not to sure on the 320 Rad but a 240 would fit there easy, even at the top of my case it would fit nicely, thou the res would need to go higher than the Rad itself.

No rush there on idea, just greatful that your helping, i think i will sell the parts i order as they been shipped, i not to bothered on cost for my setup, as money not a huge issue, just i have to buy one item at a time, so wife not moans on costs, as it cost me near on

Edited by M3NF