Gpu core clock and gpu usage drops in games - gpuz shows as util.

litwicki22

Hello. I have Gigabyte 1080 Xtreme. After upgrade to Windows Anniversary i have weird problem with fps spikes in GTA V and Rise of Tomb Raider.
In GTA V and Rise of Tomb Raider i am getting random fps dips for a second. During fps dip there is core clock drop for example from 1975mhz to 291mhz. During this moment there is GPU LOAD,Core clock and voltage drop.GPUZ shows as reason UTIL.
Here is screen from Rise of Tomb Raider:

ttt_1.jpg

In previous Windows version ( 1511 ) i dont had that problem.

My pc:
6700K stock no OC
Corsair 750 RM
16gb ram

Is this something with my hardware?

It's not something to worry about.  There are many reasons why you'd see a spike in latency in a game, not limited to (but most likely), disk IO that causes the game to hang up on something.

You better rma the card, big problem ! I can't believe your falling into this trap again Waco.

I was hoping nobody would bait him this time. :lol:

I expect a visit to WebMD is traumatic for litwicki...

Voltage drops because core speed drops and core speed drops because utilization drops and utilization drops because the GPU doesn't have anything to do. Like other have said, could be IO of loading things from HDD/SSD, could be a driver bug with your exact setup (could try other GPU drivers), or the GPU waiting on the CPU for data in single threaded game sections.  Very unlikely it's hardware related ESPECIALLY when you say it started after an OS update.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so updated to newest drivers, problem the same. Happens once every 5 hours for example. I know its not a problem for my gaming. But want to be sure it is my hardware or software.

Here is screen from GPUZ during that spike:( i added black arrows and you can clearly see UTIL reason as core drop from 1975mhz to 291mhz for just one second during stutter )

:

ttt_1.jpg

All programs closed bacground. System clean. 

Edited by litwicki22

Please box your computer up and send it to me for further testing.   You can find my address in my user profile, I will do thurow testing of the machine checking drivers and hardware and report my findings only when I am completely satisfied after a few years of fully putting the computer through its paces.