Sell my (2x) GeForce 980 Ti?

IIxNullxII

It's happened again. Just we complete a new top-end rig, they pull a new graphics card out of Santa's bag. I'm contemplating selling my 2 980s and buying 2x 1080s, but wanted to gather the communities input first. Would it even be worth it to sell them at this point? They're only 3 months old, lol.

Eh depends on what resolution you game at and monitor. Right off the bat I would say no because A) you just got these cards and B) these new ones are only 20%~ roughly faster (based on leaked info, nothing official). So if you are looking at 4k, these new cards will have support for Display Port 1.4 which has 4k 120hz support (no monitors out yet). Otherwise 2x 980ti is fine for 60fps 4k gaming. If you are gaming at even lower resolution, than I would say unless you are trying to hit a 165hz target, 980 Ti sli is completely fine for a few more years.

I am always baffled by post like these. 

First question should be: Are you able to play the games you like at the resolution you want and a frame rate that lets you enjoy the game?

If the answer is yes, who cares what new cards come out? A new component is always just around the corner.

Buying a card and selling within 3 months just when a new card is out is bound to see you loose a fair chunk of change. 

Id keep the money and enjoy your 980Ti SLI.

• Like 1

Yes and no. Because one thing to consider is the resale value and the longer you wait the less you may get for your old hardware. That's why it often does make sense to upgrade soon after the new stuff comes out.

For null, I'd say give it a few months. Wait for some hands on experiences to get reported and some aftermarket cards too. Plus you'll have a better idea of what resale value should be then.

Thanks all. I just got Doom and playing at 4K with almost everything on Ultra I'm only able to obtain about 40-50fps. It just kind of irks me, I was hoping to see a steady 60fps. But now I'm just being picky.

Thanks all. I just got Doom and playing at 4K with almost everything on Ultra I'm only able to obtain about 40-50fps. It just kind of irks me, I was hoping to see a steady 60fps. But now I'm just being picky.

Can you tell if you dont have the frame rate counter up?

I use to always chase FPS numbers and ended up getting distracted from the actual show. IE. Playing the game. And soon you realise the chase never ends.

Stopped using FPS counters and now just let nVidia tool setup settings.

Much better. Games look stunning and run great. 

Sounds like you have planted the seed that these new cards would make things better and will now chance any evidence to support that. Positive bias as it where.

Either give in and spend the money. (And realise Doom is probably no more or less fun @ 10 FPS more) Or just stop looking. Enjoy the game. Spend the $500+ on something else. 

Edited by xPETEZx

Since the new one is only 20% better, then 2x1080 should be 20% better than 2x980, once the drivers are optimized for the 1080 and for the games you play.  Your call, but I know I wouldn't unless I simply had money to burn and the 20% would actually make a difference.