Tech question here

When I open Control panel/Display/Adjust resolution, the drop menu is already maxed at 1920x1080.

Does that mean I can't do the res thing?

And would I have to buy a monitor that has a higher res than mine?

Unlike CRTs, LCDs can't push past their native resolutions unfortunately (atleast without good results)

Yeah you'd have to buy a new monitor, so if you have the spare cash it'd be a nice way for the 980 to stretch its legs some. My 2560x1600 monitor is why I upgraded from 7970 to the 970 lol

• Like 1

Thanks a heap guys!

If I'd asked the question properly in the first place it wouldn't have taken so long to learn the nitty gritty. But it was interesting to learn a few new things.

EG: I googled monitor overclocking, and it can work sometimes but not all the time.

I guess I wont be just upgrading to i7 and 980 and mobo, I'll have to add a monitor. It will be interesting to see if it eventually reduces motion sickness.

Thanks again.

The higher refresh rate allows for more frames to be displayed in your games, as well as enables 3D gaming. So instead of being limited to seeing just 60 frames every second, you get 120 frames each second. You can get smoother gameplay with the higher refresh rate, but you do need a powerful system to hit that in demanding games.

not all 120hz monitors support 3d, just thought I'd mention that.

• Like 1

The higher refresh rate allows for more frames to be displayed in your games, as well as enables 3D gaming. So instead of being limited to seeing just 60 frames every second, you get 120 frames each second. You can get smoother gameplay with the higher refresh rate, but you do need a powerful system to hit that in demanding games.

not all 120hz monitors support 3d, just thought I'd mention that.

True, but 120Hz is a requirement for it. Up to the monitor to support it, which is why I didn't say all have it, just that 120Hz is used for 3D.

I have been rearching monitors today and quite a few are 60hz for 1440 or 120 to 144 hz for 1920x1080.

I feel I will have to get a 2560x1440 that will run at 120hz to be (almost) perfect. (Maybe perfect would be one that could run at 144hz)

I think the 144 hz must be manufactured to use 1440 res.

I'll steer clear of 3D.

ASUS VX24AH 24in WQHD IPS is about $460. It is 1440 and digital is 50-76hz vertical. (Not much more than 60hz)

AOC G2460PG 24in 144Hz G-Sync has 1080 at 144hz for $599.

Seems I can get  a 120 hz monitor at 1080, or a 60hz monitor at 1440. Cant get 120hz and 1440 res together. And the overhang on my desk means a 24 inch monitor.

Edited by Cespenar

Don't they have the Korean 27" 2560x1440 monitors there?

Maybe, but apparently you have to buy them from Korea and only 40% buyers were happy. No warranty unless you pay extra.

I edited the above post to add: Need 24" unit.

No, we don't!

And what the heck is quarter high definition, with a W infront of it.

The Asus in my previous post has NO DVI-D.

Edited by Cespenar

WQHD is 2560x1440. I have my Korean IPS/PVA or whatever is is (I keep forgetting what tech it actually is) at 96 Hz and it's a huge difference over 60 Hz even with vsync on. Instead of 60/45/30/15 FPS with vsync it's 96/72/48/24 FPS...hugely smoother in games. Even on the desktop it's obvious dragging a window around.

Before you jump into a monitor with a higher refresh rate, have you tried other means to fight the motion sickness? Ginger powder mixed with water, Dramamine, antihistamines, playing with bright lights on in the room, focusing on the in-game crosshairs, and things like that?

bp: Yes! I have to get more. It helps, but once that inkling of sickness appears I should be logging off and do something else.

Didn't know bright lights helped. Wonder if it helps everybody with vertigo?

Waco: That Asus may be the way to go, but 76 hz doesn't seem enough. (My opinion only) 96 hz would be great.

And as I said, the Korean ones are not available at retailers here. If I had to buy from overseas I'd rather buy American.

The asus swift pg278q is pretty top notch with 144hz, g-sync and 1440p, but expensive.  Some games (most new games) might be tough to get a high refresh rate without lowering a lot of settings, so maybe a 1080p and 144/120hz would be a better choice for you.