How do you test a PSU?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to test the 12v rail under load without out risking your computer hardware just plug an old subwoofer amp into it and play some tunes. Sub amps are pretty tough and can pull ridiculous amperage. There is no real way to know how much power you are pulling, the PSU eventually goes into protection if you push it too hard (if it doesn't go up in smoke).

This is getting funny. Smoke and sparks I don't want.

Okay, I can install RAM, A HDD and install my copy of win 7.

That gives me the mobo, the CPU, the PSU, RAM and the 680FTW.  That will run? Wont it?

If any of these things can be damaged by PSU stressing please tell me.

As I said earlier, the PSU is not connected at the mo. But a bit of work will get it up and running I suppose.

PS: we also have a 560Ti.

Why are you testing this psu anyway, was it giving problems in the old pc, you have to remember a 3 year old psu will not perform like a new one , I would say it might still give about 75% of it's rated power when new. They basically wear out with age and how many hours they run.

99% of the time they will only blow something in the pc is if they get a surge while running, usually if they are not up to par they will just make the pc reboot under stress. But remember there is always that 1% to worry about.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

Dan's computer made some noises. The only proven fatality was a 1TB HDD.

He replaced the complete tower and I wanted to test the PSU and if it was okay, maybe ditch the motherboard. His RAM did 8 passes fine.

His 680gtx is fine.

My PSU is nearly 6 years old and has given no troubles whatsoever. Same type.

I just wanted to prove his old PSU was okay to keep.

His old one was a 2600k I believe, so if it was just his hd that died, why don't you just swap out his cpu and mb in your system for your own upgrade. Big performance difference between his old one and your amd 965. Or just rebuild his old system outside of the case with an old hd that works and test everything that way.

His old one was a 2600k I believe, so if it was just his hd that died, why don't you just swap out his cpu and mb in your system for your own upgrade. Big performance difference between his old one and your amd 965. Or just rebuild his old system outside of the case with an old hd that works and test everything that way.

very good advice here

Ha ha! Just what I want! Except the motherboard. I think I'd like to stick with Asus. (Not many 97's left in Australia. Might have to try USA)

But that is why I sort of asked about the strength of my system. It seems to run games really well.

If I swap his good stuff for mine, I will still be held back by the 60hz monitor, wont I?

And I will do a stand alone OCCT test on his old rig with a spare 350G HDD.

Please give advice on Mobo's: Asus website says update the BIOS of your 9series motherboard ready for 5th gen intel. What does that do? Will 2600K fit?

Australia seems to have mobo's from Z61 up to Z88. Asus Australia has z68 and z77 only. Has nothing!

MSI has a Z97 Krait for $195 at Scorptec. What is this like? Haven't had MSI for about 8 or 9 years.

I probably need to act fast to get a quality mobo, because ... well, Aussie just does not have a big customer base for a big stock.

Edited by Cespenar

The only mb's that will run the 2600 is the 1155 socket, so if you don't want his old one you might have to do some digging around. If it's not the k model you won't be doing much oc'ing so any decent mb should do the trick. It wouldn't hurt to try his old board, you'd still get a good performance boost.