CPU Cooler for AMD FX-6300 ?

donaldhh

Looking forward to seeing your results! 

Me too, I sent it out today.

I haven't actually tried this myself, I was thinking of slapping one on an Athlon 5200+ or Athlon II 640 and seeing how far you could get with the 8320 cooler. It's quite a bit beefier than the regular ones.

I just don't see myself ever doing anything with either or those chips at this point.

If you upgrade that cooler in the future, don't get the tx3.  It's a 90mm and doesn't do much better than stock.  Stick with the Hyper EVO 120mm size.

I like having the back case fan with an led, casts good light on the mobo.  I have 3 of the red sickleflow fans, they are not as deep red as I wanted (a little too on the pink side).  So I don't use them, you want them?

Gabriel and cc;

I'll be glad to post the results once I get everything together and thanks again for all your advice. RedFury77, if you have no use for the fans, I'll try them out. Besides, now there out of stock on Amazon. I will send a PM with the mailing stuff. And one last item. After much afterthought, research, and advice hear in this forum, I decided to change my GPU to the

e2b24d0e81857ea82c9c4ea0246954d6.med.256For an extra $40 over the EVGA GTX 750 Ti, I think it will go a long time before I need to upgrade as well as more FPS !

Here is the link to my final AMD Gaming rig build if anyone else has something in mind. I went a little over my $700 because originally I hadn't planned on an SSD drive.

https://pcpartpicker.com/p/PZ7Fyc

Thanks all again,

Donald

Two things stand out, your PSU and your RAM. I think a GTX 960 is a better value than the 750 Ti personally. I just bought a 960 so I am quite biased :D

Your power supply is a bit on the overkill side to be honest. I can't see your system ever drawing more than 350watts even with a decent overclock on the CPU and GPU.

If I had to guess your system at idle will draw around 150 watts.150watts is actually where that 620 power supply is least efficient,a good 500watt PSU or even 450 would most likely be more efficient more of the time, and cost less too.

A 500 would leave you some room to upgrade, and stay within its sweet spot for efficiency.

This Antec 520 is $20 cheaper and should be plenty for your current and future needs. You could even get away with adding another 960.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg520m

I'm not saying cheap out though, a quality 500watt PSU will just be a better value than 620watt of equal quality.

As for your RAM, there isn't much benefit using faster ram. Though with your 6300 having a locked multiplier faster RAM potentially gives your a little more flexibility with your RAM multiplier. DDR3 1600 is probably enough for that though.

If you love Kingston, go for it but if you want to save like $5 G.Skill is a good option. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314&cm_re=gskill_ddr3-_-20-231-314-_-Product

Those two things bring it right to $702 :D

Edited by GabrielTessin

Thanks again Gabriel for your expertise. I had originally chose the 520 watt Antec but when i upgraded the GPU the PSU calculator wattage went up as well. So I'll go back to the 520 watt Antec. My RAM choice was based on the thought that 2133 mHz was a bit of overkill. I wasn't aware that 1600 mHz would suffice for this build. The Kingston choice was based on the low profile idea as I was not sure if the CPU cooler would get in the way of a RAM slot. So I can use the GSkill and they will look good as well in the MOBO. These also have a lower CAS of 9 so that is a plus. I think the the CPU being the Black Edition has an unlocked multiplier and if so, will the 1600 mHz still do the job ?  :thx: 

Thanks again Gabriel for your expertise. I had originally chose the 520 watt Antec but when i upgraded the GPU the PSU calculator wattage went up as well. So I'll go back to the 520 watt Antec. My RAM choice was based on the thought that 2133 mHz was a bit of overkill. I wasn't aware that 1600 mHz would suffice for this build. The Kingston choice was based on the low profile idea as I was not sure if the CPU cooler would get in the way of a RAM slot. So I can use the GSkill and they will look good as well in the MOBO. These also have a lower CAS of 9 so that is a plus. I think the the CPU being the Black Edition has an unlocked multiplier and if so, will the 1600 mHz still do the job ?  :thx:

I didn't realize the 6300 was a black edition, in that case 1600mhz or even 1333 will work fine. Faster ram doesn't gain you much. My PSU calculator gives you plenty of headroom with that 520watts PSU.

It would not hurt a 600watt PSU if you were to use one, it would just be less efficient while at idle.

$14 more, but better cpu , better ram, matching gpu (if you are into that) .  Just not modular psu...  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xfbYt6

That MSI would look sweet with that motherboard to be perfectly honest. If only EVGA made interesting color GPU's.

I've vastly improved your build for 11 cents :P

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VTKT3C

That is a SMOKIN deal on that SSD and RAM. Dual channel RAM is nice but there isn't really a significant performance gain on a gaming rig.

He wants to go with EVGA, so no 280X for him >.<  At that price it is tempting to give the red team another go.

Edited by GabrielTessin

I've vastly improved your build for 11 cents :P

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VTKT3C

That is a SMOKIN deal on that SSD and RAM. Dual channel RAM is nice but there isn't really a significant performance gain on a gaming rig.

He wants to go with EVGA, so no 280X for him >.<  At that price it is tempting to give the red team another go.

I'd hope he'd be able to make an exception for lifetime warranty and better performance from the XFX :)

But yeah, I didn't notice the RAM was just one stick but honestly who cares. Dual channeling has never made a real life noticeable performance improvement, plus he could always buy a second 8GB later if he wants but why spend more now? The SSD was a no brainer, double the space for a useable amount of OS drive storage and barely more expensive.

Yeah the ram is kinda no big deal either way.  1 stick or 2, 1600 or faster.  It may make a little difference running benchmarks, but that's clearly not what this rig is for.  As long as you have 8 gbs and 1600mhz, gtg.

That is a great deal on the 280x.  I would totally try to go for that.  

But he is getting further and further away from that $700 budget.  I don't calculate in mail-in rebates, by the time you get the gift card in 2-3 months, you will probably already forgot about it anyway.