CPU Cooler for AMD FX-6300 ?

donaldhh

Greetings All Experts;

First time here. Planning a new build, my first one to replace an old IBM PC350. This is what I hope to put together:

MOBO - MSI 970 Gaming, AM3+ socket

CPU: AMD FX-6300

GPU: EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW ACX

Power Supply: Antec 80+ Bronze 520W High Current Gamer Semi-Modular

RAM: 2x4GB GSkill Sniper 9-10-9-28

Case: Coolermaster Elite 431Plus ( [5] 120MM fan options: 2 top,1 bottom, 1 front, 1 back )

1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue 64MB Cache, 7200 RPM

Sandisk 128 GB SSD

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST

My question is (are), with so many CPU coolers available and so many reviews out there, what is suggested here ? I'm trying to keep the budget at $700 and with what I have now now including this cooler choice: Cooler Master Model Hyper TX3, I'm at $650 with rebates and promos. I was thinking of these case cooling fans: Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 - Sleeve Bearing 120mm Red LED Silent Fan (3 for aesthetics to complent the MSI board, 1 front, 2 top). To complete the cooling:Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 - Sleeve Bearing 120mm Silent Fan ( black, 1 bottom, 1 top rear ). Any advice is truly appreciated and I am open to suggestions. Thanks to all in advance for reading this post. I hope it is not to long.

Sincerely,

Donald

cf3a72593b16cf8fda76564c62ba1d93.256c.jp

post-140025-0-06359600-1425775433_thumb.jpg

post-140025-0-07168500-1425775554_thumb.jpg

That case already comes with a fan in the front, but blue LED so good idea to get a red LED one to replace it.

As for the CPU cooler, will you be doing any overclocking, and if so, how much?

An alternative to that TX3 is the 212 EVO, which would be a solid option if you are planning to overclock it some. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with the TX3 or the TX4. Likewise, if OCing isn't in the plans, the stock fan will serve just fine.

If you are not overclocking then any moderately priced tower style heat sink will fit the bill. If you are overclocking or plan to in the future then an All in one liquid cooling solution is one of the better options for you. 

If you are interested, I have the Stock CPU cooler off a 8320 Black edition that you can have. It's designed for a 125watt CPU and should get you some decent overclocking.

I'll send it to you free so you will have a little extra cash if you want. If your not overclocking it will still do fine AND run a little cooler AND be slightly quieter than the stock one.

Gigabytes 750 ti 2gb is only $130 after rebate if your don't have your heart set on that EVGA.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125502&cm_re=750_ti-_-14-125-502-_-Product

ASUS 750 ti  2GBfor $125

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=94339&vpn=GTX750TI-OC-2GD5&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1260

PM me if you are interested.

Edited by GabrielTessin

Bp, cc, and Gabriel;

Thank you all for your replies and advice. I don't plan on any serious OC'ing, just a bit more to stay within the safe limits of what the CPU, memory, MOBO will handle. Just 1 more issue and then I think I'll be good to go. I'll keep all those options in mind. As far as fan configuration for cooling: the top and rear should be exhaust and the front and bottom intake ? How does one know which way the fans are mounted to achieve this ? Also, I've seen some CPU fans when assembled pointing towards the RAM sticks. Doesn't this add more heat to the RAM area ? Should the CPU fan be oriented toward the rear of the case or out the top ?

I chose the EVGA card because I think EVGA has some sort of upgrade program. Not sure of the specifics, I'll need to make sure of that. Thanks again guys. I appreciate all the info and hope to hear from you again.

Regards,

Donald

Don't mean to high jack this tread but anyone else having a problem with the occ home page, I can't get to it  .??????

Says ( no site configured for this address )

Works fine here!

Same, no issues.

As for donaldhh's questions, fans should have an arrow pointing in the direction they flow, so just aim that however you want. Top and rear for exhaust, bottom and front for intake will work fine. The CPU fan actually pulls in air over the RAM and sends it through the heat sink fins, helping cool it down.

Greetings bp;

Thanks for the info on the fans and thanks for the clarification on the CPU cooler fan function. Was just wondering if you think the rest of the build components are OK. I'm all set now. Time to start ordering. Thanks again.

Donald

Your welcome, us nerds gotta stick together! If it doesn't work for you have a really nice paper weight too.

If you start adding voltage expect your temps to get real high, real fast.

According to my unscientific CPU power draw calculator. You should be able to give it up to 1.3 volts and assuming that your 6300 is an average or better overclocker maybe 4.1-4.3ghz.

Once it gets hot that little fan is going to make some noise. It might not be a bad idea to save your penny's for a better cooler later on if it turns out to be too loud.

In the end your temperatures under load will limit your overclock. Generally, AMD CPU's don't like to go over 70c. I had the wife's 8320 over 80c and it didn't throttle down to save itself so be careful, luckily no harm done.

As for the EVGA step up program, if your fine with paying the shipping both ways and paying the difference in cost of the new GPU then it's a good deal. Just be sure you read all the rules and make sure you jump through the right hoops to qualify.

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/